Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.01.13 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default VH Stayed Relevant From 1978-1995

Long after most hard rock groups were dead in the water VH was still cranking out new material, albums that hit #1 and heavy air play of their new songs (Balance 1995). Most Van Hagar fans were pretty pumped after Humans Being. How long do you think they could have kept it going had they stayed the course with Sammy? When I say kept it going, I mean selling over 1 million copies, at or near #1 and heavy radio air play?

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Couple hours or so....

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

1 thru Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

05.07.15 @ 12:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffdiver View Post
    Couple hours or so....
    LMMFAO!!!!!!
    The Pumpkinhead!

"After three decades you still don't get the fact that VH the band was greater than the sum of all of its parts -- and those parts fit perfectly together, especially in the CVH lineup." - Delighted Romeo, Hit the nail right on the God Damn Head!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

While the Balance numbers were decent, and the reviews were good, I think the writing started to appear on the wall. It's clear that Van Halen didn't pay enough attention to the rest of the world, including Europe. Successful bands kept doing that - see Bon Jovi. Still a hard rock album doing multi-platinum numbers during the throws of grunge is pretty fucking unbelievable.

From a musical standpoint, I think the band Van Halen was looking for ways to reinvent themselves. They felt the normal pressures of any band, but ultimately it led to their demise. (Most of the next info gathered from Sam's book and what I've read here) I think Ed was tired of the tunes about pussy and drugs. He wanted a more mature approach...Sam was interested in making changes sonically, like new drum beats, etc. I think their next album would have been really interesting. They were onto something with Humans Being.

But, I'm rambling. I think Van Halen could have done at least two more successful albums with Sammy.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

10.15.11 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sure there was hope after Humans Being with SH. There also was hope after MWM and CGTSNM with Diamond DLR. Then it all went south with VHIII......when EVH was delusional to believe he was the center and the creator of the universe.

VH could have continued being successful with SH and Diamond DLR only if EVH stayed healthy, was of sound mind, and had the creativity to produce tunes.

ME WISE MAGIC was the last one.
    DLR, circa 2001:

"Hey this is David Lee Roth and I promised you the news and here's the news.

About a year ago myself and the great Van Halen band played together once or twice and it sounded amazing!

In the following several months Edward and I, Edward Van Halen and me, David Lee Roth, created some of the most amazing, phenomenal - the hands fell off the clock ladies and gentleman and we wrote three astonishing tunes.

That was last July (2000) and since then I haven't been up to the studio, we haven't really been in touch and we haven't made any music, but I am holding forth, I'm in the shape of my life and I got the high note - I'm ready to go.

And I am positive for the future ladies and gentleman.

Stay tuned and I'll tell you what the future brings..."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

10.15.11 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffdiver View Post
    Couple hours or so....
    DLR, circa 2001:

"Hey this is David Lee Roth and I promised you the news and here's the news.

About a year ago myself and the great Van Halen band played together once or twice and it sounded amazing!

In the following several months Edward and I, Edward Van Halen and me, David Lee Roth, created some of the most amazing, phenomenal - the hands fell off the clock ladies and gentleman and we wrote three astonishing tunes.

That was last July (2000) and since then I haven't been up to the studio, we haven't really been in touch and we haven't made any music, but I am holding forth, I'm in the shape of my life and I got the high note - I'm ready to go.

And I am positive for the future ladies and gentleman.

Stay tuned and I'll tell you what the future brings..."

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 595 Times in 365 Posts

Donor

Moving this to Past...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post
    I think Ed was tired of the tunes about pussy and drugs. He wanted a more mature approach...Sam was interested in making changes sonically, like new drum beats, etc. I think their next album would have been really interesting. They were onto something with Humans Being. .
    and yet in 2004 we got Up for Breakfast.

Glenn

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenninaus View Post

Glenn
    actually, we're "lucky" we even got that, from what I understand tensions were really bad during the recording of the 04 songs...Sam even admits they kinda sucked casue it just was not working for them.

If Ed lefler had lived and kept everyone in line VH could have put out a few more good/great records with Sam. As much as people try to rewrite history VH was pretty damn big with Sammy in the band until 95-at least in the US as Extreme Red Roth pointed out. The last tour they did with Sam grossed them something like 55 million-that's the number I remember, if it's wrong I'm sorry but I know they were the 5th highest grossing band of 1995.

I know Sam presented Leaving the Warmth of the Womb to Eddie for the next VH record, that's a bad ass song. Sam said he had lyrics for Both Sides Now and some for Little White Lie. If you put Van Halen's name on a song like Who Has the Right and relesed it right now it would get alot of airplay cause it's a good song, the only reason it wasn't a hit was because it had Sam's name on it instead of VH's. There were seeds of cool stuff on III it just wasn't explored and used the right way.

I think VH wold still be in a decent spot right now if they played thier cards right but after the last few years does anyone-except us on this site really care anymore?

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.01.13 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glenn

I think we all agree the 3 songs they did with Sammy sucked but those songs seemed to be thrown together in a rush to get out the latest GH. Big difference if they would have stayed together and released an album every 3 years.

1998 (no Gary)

Think Eddie has any regrets about not being relevant for the last 10 years? Paul McCartney is selling at age 65, Ozzy is doing well with his new CD. Even the Scorpions and Ted Nugent are giving it a shot.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post
    While the Balance numbers were decent, and the reviews were good, I think the writing started to appear on the wall. It's clear that Van Halen didn't pay enough attention to the rest of the world, including Europe. Successful bands kept doing that - see Bon Jovi. Still a hard rock album doing multi-platinum numbers during the throws of grunge is pretty fucking unbelievable.

From a musical standpoint, I think the band Van Halen was looking for ways to reinvent themselves. They felt the normal pressures of any band, but ultimately it led to their demise. (Most of the next info gathered from Sam's book and what I've read here) I think Ed was tired of the tunes about pussy and drugs. He wanted a more mature approach...Sam was interested in making changes sonically, like new drum beats, etc. I think their next album would have been really interesting. They were onto something with Humans Being.

But, I'm rambling. I think Van Halen could have done at least two more successful albums with Sammy.
    That's a quote from Sammy's book regarding Bon Jovi and Europe. I think had the band not fucked up they could've stayed relevant to this day. They were writing some of their best music when Hagar got the boot.