Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.07 @ 11:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Getting away from digital on a budget

Ok, I got bit by the digital "POD" bug...

I sold all my amps off, all my rack equipment, etc. The only thing I kept were my 70s MXR pedals (Flanger, Phase, 6-Band EQ).

Now, after trying very hard to really dial in that early VH tone and realizing that unless Im moving some air, it aint gonna happen.

Now, if you had $1000 to spend on amps, cabs, processors, etc - which would you knowledge-heads recommend?

Now if you had $2000 - repeat the question.

I absolutely adore Victor's stuff over at Mojave, but I dont have the $$.

Ive looked at some Splawn, Mako, etc - stuff like that - but for $1500+head, Its hard (but could be doable).

thanks.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

If you want early VH, I have heard none better than this:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5369443

This is a guy named "rockstah" on the Huge Racks, Inc. forums who built
    his own Plexi clone. He said he would contemplate making some for others.

Just give the clip a listen. It's uncanny.

Oh, and I am not him.

Thanks,

mk5
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default HOLY SNIKIES!

Quote Originally Posted by mk5 View Post
    If you want early VH, I have heard none better than this:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5369443

This is a guy named "rockstah" on the Huge Racks, Inc. forums who built
    his own Plexi clone. He said he would contemplate making some for others.

Just give the clip a listen. It's uncanny.

Oh, and I am not him.

Thanks,

mk5
    WOW! Thats the closest I've heard anyone come yet.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are you planning to play out, record, etc.?
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    Are you planning to play out, record, etc.?
    Well, the long-term goal would be to play out, nothing serious, just a few guys and play some local pubs or something; cover band. The priority right now, is having something that will move some air. I have a V-amp 2 and a Guitarport, with Adobe Audition, which is perfect for what I am doing: using BTs and playing/recording some of my fave songs.

I want to have a decent amp to help get close to the early VH sound. I have it dialed in pretty good with the Pod, but it doesnt have that same depth that a really good miked amp has. That guy that's playing in the above link in this thread is spot on with the VH tone; he has that VH sound down, better than anything else I've ever heard.

So, basically, an amp like Mojave w/power dampening (so I can play in my basement without waking up the baby, neighbors, etc) but without the price tag. Im almost tempted to just bite the bullet and buy a 5150 combo on eBay and get a THD Hot-Plate or power soak. I guess what Im asking is what would give you the most bang for the buck, say $750-1000, for a 40-100 watt amp and equipment. I know that aint much to play with $$$ wise, but thats about the most I could probably milk right now.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, with all the questions, but are you looking for a head or a combo? Also, if you're looking for a head, do you have a cabinet already? There are some good tube combos in that price range, but you'll probably need an overdrive pedal for leads.

Realistically, if you're just playing small bars you could get away with a good 50-watt combo (especially if you mic it).

- Dewey Cox

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, with all the questions, but are you looking for a head or a combo? Also, if you're looking for a head, do you have a cabinet already? There are some good tube combos in that price range, but you'll probably need an overdrive pedal for leads.

Realistically, if you're just playing small bars you could get away with a good 50-watt combo (especially if you mic it).

NO, no, youre not being a PITA - youre trying to help me out.

I appreciate it. Im looking at the Traynor Blue (EL 34's) as a possibilty. But Im not sure how it sounds. The initial specs on it look good. I would prefer a head to a combo, because the 4 x 12 sounds better when its mic'ed up for the most part. But beggars cant be choosers. Thats why I initially thought that a 5150 combo running through a cab may be a good start. But to get the 5150 to sound CVH, you have to do some tweaking and I dont think that Im that knowledgeable on a tube amp, considering all my exp. is with ADA mp-1s, pods, etc. - ie nothing with a real soul like a good set of valves!

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

personally i would say give splawn head a try with a half stack.

his stuff really seems to get as close to that sound as is possible.

also they seem to have a nice clean channel so depending on your personal style you should be able to dial in eds tone and probably knock off your own sound as well.

they sound like a good base to build from, i'll be getting one eventually too.

i have seen dudes on youtube dial in cvh via a 5150 setup (one guy even shows you his settings let's see ... ah here we go: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1SIg1My5J...elated&search=)

lot's of way to skin a cat i guess.
    Last edited by lil'devil; 06.19.07 at 06:28 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LypsLynch55 View Post
    NO, no, youre not being a PITA - youre trying to help me out.

I appreciate it. Im looking at the Traynor Blue (EL 34's) as a possibilty. But Im not sure how it sounds. The initial specs on it look good. I would prefer a head to a combo, because the 4 x 12 sounds better when its mic'ed up for the most part. But beggars cant be choosers. Thats why I initially thought that a 5150 combo running through a cab may be a good start. But to get the 5150 to sound CVH, you have to do some tweaking and I dont think that Im that knowledgeable on a tube amp, considering all my exp. is with ADA mp-1s, pods, etc. - ie nothing with a real soul like a good set of valves!
    Traynor has gotten some good reviews, but I've found that it's hard to find dealers to try them out. Actually, i had a thought and we're going to need some input on this (Andrew Thomas?) because I'm not sure it will work with a 5150. But I know that with most tube heads/combos, you can remove half the power tubes to drive the amp harder at lower volumes.

I've done it with several heads and it works great. This might even eliminate the need for an attenuator. Does anyone know if this will work with a 5150 combo?

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

No. There are only 2 power tubes in a 5150 and they both have to be plugged in for the amp to work.

FWIW on the Splawn thing, I had a Pro Mod for a while. Personally, i thought it was just too compressed and not open enough. There were no dynamics when I rolled off the guitar's volume.

However, it did a GREAT "1984"-type tone.

There are lots of ways to get close. The one question you need to ask yourself is how close are you willing to settle for?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Traynor has gotten some good reviews, but I've found that it's hard to find dealers to try them out. Actually, i had a thought and we're going to need some input on this (Andrew Thomas?) because I'm not sure it will work with a 5150. But I know that with most tube heads/combos, you can remove half the power tubes to drive the amp harder at lower volumes.

I've done it with several heads and it works great. This might even eliminate the need for an attenuator. Does anyone know if this will work with a 5150 combo?
    I was paged...

There's only two 6L6GC power tubes in the 5150 combo (60 watts). I had a weird thing happen a few months ago when I'd first gotten my combo. I was using it during a rehearsal, and the fuse blew. To be safe (since I'd bought the combo used) I replaced the power tubes along with the fuse. Just as I took the back grill off and reached to pull the first tube out (they hang down from the sockets on the combo), I noticed the first tube sitting out of the socket a little. It was such a fast observation I wasn't able to process what I'd noticed and stop myself from pulling the tube out, but I've come to believe that one tube just slipped out to the point that it wasn't functioning any more, and the fuse blew because it was pushing the one remaining tube too hard (the tone had gone quite weak just before it blew). I haven't done any further investigating since, but the combo has been working just fine since the new tubes went in.

I once had an issue with my original 5150 head where one tube was drawing significantly more power than the other three. I don't remember the cause (it was something quite simple, but I'm not knowledgable enough with amps to remember what it was), but that problem too blew the fuse and in fact melted the plastic bottom of the tube right into the socket.

Those two experiences would make me assume that it is a BAD idea to try pulling power tubes out of any 5150.

That's all I got.

Out.

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Those two experiences would make me assume that it is a BAD idea to try pulling power tubes out of any 5150.

That's all I got.

Out.
    You can do the two-tube pull on the head only. Only problem is I can't remember if it's the two inner tubes or the two outer tubes to pull. I don't work with Peavey reps. anymore and I've forgotten over the years.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mk5 View Post
    You can do the two-tube pull on the head only. Only problem is I can't remember if it's the two inner tubes or the two outer tubes to pull. I don't work with Peavey reps. anymore and I've forgotten over the years.
    Right. From what Andrew said, DO NOT try this with the combo. I didn't realize it is 60 watts and only has two power tubes. To the best of my knowledge, power tubes work in pairs and, usually - if there are four, the two outer tubes are one pair and the two middle tubes are another pair. Normally, you would remove the two outer tubes.

I had a Randall RM100 that I tried this with and it did improve the gain at lower volumes. I'm currently using a H&K Switchblade and their tech guy told me it would work - not that I need more gain with that beast - but I haven't tried it yet.

So you could pick up a 5150/6505 head on eBay for less than a grand. Actually, I just found these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-6505-5150...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5150-Amp-...QQcmdZViewItem

And consult Peavey about removing a pair of power tubes. They will probably tell you this, but I'm pretty sure you also have to cut the impedance/ohms to your cabinet in half.

Or maybe I'm just complicating things and someone can recommend a good tube combo for less than $1k...

- Dewey Cox

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

So you could pick up a 5150/6505 head on eBay for less than a grand. Actually, I just found these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-6505-5150...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-5150-Amp-...QQcmdZViewItem

And consult Peavey about removing a pair of power tubes. They will probably tell you this, but I'm pretty sure you also have to cut the impedance/ohms to your cabinet in half.
    You can definitely get a 5150 or 6505 head for less than a grand; if you have patience they'll go for as little as $600.

I brought this topic up today at the music store, and the ohms change was an important point made. Again, someone with better knowledge should elaborate on that.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    You can definitely get a 5150 or 6505 head for less than a grand; if you have patience they'll go for as little as $600.

I brought this topic up today at the music store, and the ohms change was an important point made. Again, someone with better knowledge should elaborate on that.
    Right. Both the Hughes & Kettner and Randall techs advised me on that (ohms) when they told me which tubes to pull. If you're going this route, the best thing to do would be to contact Peavey and get exact instructions - including the change in impedence/ohms.

- Dewey Cox