Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default I wish I could punch just one college professor...

And then I could die a happy man. I truly dislike nearly every single one I have come into contact with (with the obvious exception of one, my wife). I take a full load of courses on line; there is a lot of homework, that can't be helped. But some use it as a crutch because their lousy teachers and their lazy. I have had a grand total of two weeks in this class and we are already having a midterm, check it out:

"MID TERM EXAM This exam consists of two parts: Part A: essay questions, Part B: identification items. Part A select any FOUR of the following essay questions and answer each selected using specific infornation, details and examples to better clarify your answers. Each essay should be a minimum of 1 page of single space content. Study materials permitted during testing. 20 points each

1. Discuss the Spanish conquest of Mexico during the early 15th Century (1600s). What were the goals of this conquest and how successful was this effort?

2. Your Text makes the statement that "the Roman Catholic Church was the most important and influential institution introduced into the (Spanish) colony (of Mexico.") What is meant by that statement?

3. Discuss any TWO precolumbian native cultures residing in Mexico prior to the arrival of the Europeans. Emphasize the social, economic as well as political characteristics of each.

4. Discuss the impact of Spanish conquistadors on the native peoples of Mexico using specific examples and specific information.

5. Your Text makes the comment that "In New Spain itself the viceroy was the ranking officer and agent of royal absolutism." What is mmeant by that statement?

6. Discuss those forces and individuals responsible for the Mexican independence movement which finally resulted in success in 1821? What groups opposed independence and why?

B. Identify any TEN of the following items using specific details and historical facts to better explain items selected. Each identification must be a minimum of 1/2 page of single space content. Study materials permitted during testing. 10 pointsd each

1. Plan of Iguala 2. Peninsulars 3. Eusebio Francisco Kino 4. Palenque 5.Huitzilopochtli 6. Mestizos 7. encomienda 8. Spanish Inquisition 9. Marquis de Croix 10. Queen Isabella 11. Sorjuana Ines de la Cruz 12. Cuernavaca 13. audiencias 14. Jose Maria Morelos 15. San Xavier del Bac

Submission instructions: Submit this Mid term in Parts (Part A and Part B) either in separate Part submissions or in a sngle submission including both parts. Label all work carefully and spaces between answers. Do NOT submit single answers. Please use ' cut and paste' rather than attachments. Due date is same as Unit Four no late submission accepted."

We didn't know much about the midterm other then it was a midterm, he sprung the details Monday and it's due on Friday. That's four full page essays and ten 1/2 page essays, all single spaced. On top of that our regular assignments are due today as well, that's six more 1/2 page assignments due. And it's not like he gives us back any feedback from past essays, nope, not a word. I haven't dropped a point on any of the essays but you still wonder what exactly they are looking for. You e-mail these people and they talk to you like you’re in high school, it drives me up the wall.

Oh well, time to get back to work. I rant like this with my wife but she doesn't have much interest. She's been doing it for nine years now and is thoroughly brainwashed.

Oh, and check out the spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. In his syllabus he really harps on that stuff, you should read it (only if you’re a big fan of hypocrisy).

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quit. More time for softball.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    Quit. More time for softball.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

LOL
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

At least the prof left out the ever-popular phrase: "...And you must show your work."

Then again it does state "Label all work carefully and spaces between answers. Do NOT submit single answers. Please use ' cut and paste' rather than attachments."

What a pain in the ass. Yet considering the alternative is "Would you like fries with that?", what the hell can one do?

Bets of luck, brother, sincerely.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here is this bozo's syllabus. That first "sentence" says it all. I guess he's some kind of ironic double history something-or-other. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be telling me honestly.

Instructor is a 20 year community college history history "teaching veteran." Mr. Sennet now specializes in creating, testing, and teaching on-line history classes at the communioty college level.
    Course Goals
    My objectives for this course is to accomplish the following:
    (1) You will become aware of the history of Mexico, the events, people and forces that have shaped this era in Western Hemispheric history.
    (2) You will recognize how modern Mexico differs from institutions and concerns of earlier society, and you will also understand the essential elements of modern Mexico that retain their link to earlier times.
    (3) You will recognize the great diversity of political values, ethnic traditions, economic ideas, philosophies, life styles and the arts that characterize both early as well as modern Mexican .
    (4) You will learn to use written documents, historical narratives, and other written and visual resourcesas means of understanding and interpretating Mexican History.
    (5) You will learn how to condust historical research by locating, reading and evaluating historical web sites and summarizing the contents of these sites.
    (6) Youn will dev elop your written communication skills and your ability to express yourself well via e-mail and on-line class discussions.
    Policies
    Your goals as student and mine as instructor may differ, but our most basic objective is the same: YOUR SUCCESS IN THIS CLASS. For you to achieve this goal there are some basis policies which you should follow:
    1) Be active in the class and complete all assignments on time.
    2) Be scholarly; use correct grammar, accurate spelling, clear writing, citing of sources, etc. are all considered basic to good scholarly inquiry.
    3) Participate fully; spend significant time reading, and thinking about this class and its content.
    4) Participate fully in all class discussions in such a way as to make your comments and ideas understandable for all other class members.
    5) All submissions will be your own work and will not be copied from other sources unless as part of an assignment in which you give correct citation.
    Textbook
    Required Reading
    Mexico A History (paperback) by Robert Ryal Miller
    ISBN 0-8061-2178-5

Course Requirements

This class is divided into eight units and in each unit you will submit 3 web site summaries and participate in 1 class discussion. Additionally, there will a mid term exam at the end of Unit Four and a Final Exam covering the last half of this course at the end of Unit Eight.

This course will have a total value of 1000 points and will be distributed as follows:
    1. 24 Web site summaries (submitted in groups of three for 8 units) 480 total points
    2. 2 Examination (Mid Term and Final) 360 total points
    3. 8 class discussions 200 total points

(40 extra credit points built into this class)

Internet Website Summaries
    Each week you will locate historical web sites as directed in assignments. Using any search engine like GOOGLE or YAHOO you will locate these web sites and then prepare summaries of the sites you select with a MINIMUM of 1/2 page of single-spaced content always including th web address (URL). Send your summaries to my e-mail address listed in this document. IMPORTANT: always include in the "subject" area of each submissions the following information (1) Your full name (2) What is being submitted (Wk 1 summaries). If this information is not included, your e-mail may be not opened and might be deleted. Submit all three web site summaries IN A SINGLE SUBMISSION. DO NOT SEND INDIVIDUAL SUMMARIES.

Class Discussions
    8 class discussions will be held in this course. Located at the Discussion Board, you will be presented with a specific question or idea to discussion. Only participate during the time listed for each topic. No credit for late participation. You will comment on the idea or question presented or another student's remarks. Participate as often as you like. Do not just agree or disagree with comments. You grade will be based on how well you respond, the evidence used to support your point of view and how well you make your point, not your point of view.

Examinations
    This class will have a mid term and final exam and they will consist of essay questions and indentification terms. Each essay answer must be a minimum of 1 full page of single spaced content and include examples, specifics, details and historical facts. Each identification answer must be a minimum of 1/2 page of single-spaced content also containing specific information and details. Study materials may be used during testing. (See weekly assignments for exam dates.) All exams taken on-line.
    Course Grading
    900 + A
    800-899 B
    700-799 C
    600-699 D
    Below 600 Not passing

Grade Book Usage - Late Submissions
    All assignments are due on the dates posted in Unit assignments. . Grades for each unit will be posted in the On Line Grade Book the following Monday at 8 PM. You are expected to check Grade Book on a regular basis and if your work for the previous week does not appear by that Monday, JUST RESUBMIT IMMEDIATELY. Do not e-mail me saying it is not in Grade Book, JUST RESUBMIT. ALL RESUBMISSIONS MUST BE MADE WITHOUT ATTACHMENTS, and must be sent no later than Wednesday of the week following due date. ALWAYS SAVE YOUR WORK. Under no conditions will late work be accepted after late submission date without PRIOR instructor approval. If you have computer problems, public library and college lab computers are available. COMPUTER PROBLEMS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE EXPLANATIONS FOR PAST DUE SUBMISSIONS
    Course Announcements
    Each week (usually on Mondays) weekly announcements are made about changes, suggestions, deadlines etc. The are located on the Course Home Page and appear as soon as you log on to class. They usually relate to important course updates and when they are posted they become binding parts of the class and your responsibility to fulfill.
    NOW!! IMPORTANT!! SYLLABUS ACCEPTANCE AGREEMENT
    Before you begin the course work, you MUST submit to me your acceptance of this syllabus and your agreement to abide by the terms of this document. Comment on the specifics of this document and include a statement that the work will be your own and not copied from other sources without proper citation ('quotes"). After you complete this, and class opens, 'click' on 'ASSIGNMENTS' and begin Unit One
    Welcome
    I hope you enjoy the class

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

"(6) Youn will dev elop your written communication skills and your ability to express yourself well via e-mail and on-line class discussions."

"I hope you enjoy the class"

LMAO!
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

01.08.08 @ 05:20 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still want to beat the hell out of my Wills & Trusts professor from law school. The guy couldn't teach (he literally read from an outline prepared -- rather badly -- by someone else) and had little feel for the subject matter; it was the first course he had ever taught. Before his final (my very last final of law school), he says, "I had my father, who has been an estate planner for 30 years, take this and he finished it in an hour so you should have no trouble finishing it in three..." Uh, yeah, sure. Now, what he didn't say about his father was that he finished it but like the majority of the class he a) could not understand half of the questions and b) got most of the answers wrong.

It was my last law school exam, my third-worst grade in law school, and it wreaked havoc on my final GPA. As I was coming down the steps after being "hooded", the bastard is standing there with other professors to shake our hands. Whereas I gave the other profs a smile, I simply stared at this guy thinking how much fun it would be to punch his lights out...
    Psalms 75:10: "All the horns of the wicked also will I cut off; BUT THE HORNS OF THE RIGHTEOUS SHALL BE EXALTED."

J.A.S. 8/10/1936 - 10/28/2006. I miss you, Mom.

My favorite number used to be 5150. Now, it's 41-38.
    Texas Longhorns: 2005 National Champions!!!

Political Correctness means always having to say you're sorry.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."

"[T]he only way you're gonna get fulfilled is to sit right there in that front row and just get your face bashed in." - Sammy Hagar

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hmmmmm, for some reason this is all I have come up with (this is the e-mail I sent the professor telling him I will be dropping the class):

"Professor ________,

I will be dropping your class on Monday. Some of us have full time jobs in addition to the classes we take at AWC. Giving your students five days to complete 4 full page single spaced essays, 16 half page single spaced essays, and 2 detailed class discussion topics seems asinine. In the future you need to make perspective students aware of the workload you require, you can save them money and aggravation from withdrawing from this course. It would also be helpful if you included in your syllabus ACTUAL information regarding your mid-terms, I would have never imagined what you’re expecting us to accomplish otherwise. I take a full load of classes at AWC and have never experienced such a work load in such a short amount of time (without any feedback from the professor I might add). You also might consider reviewing and revising your syllabus, it's riddled with spelling, grammatical errors, and it's difficult to understand.

Regards,

Chris ________"

Actually, because my wife teaches there I don't pay for my classes, just the books. The funny thing here is that I will be taking this class again in the fall, same teacher as well.

Oh well, I still have:

Women In History, Music Appreciation, and History Of Arizona. I might even add on a Geography course for July to make up for this fiasco.

I'm trying to graduate by May but I changed my major to History (which explains all the history courses in such a short amount of time).
    Last edited by willy4pres; 06.15.07 at 02:51 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Dude.
    In all seriousness... I admire you on taking the time to go back to college and bettering yourself. I wish I had the disipline, patience and time to do just that.
    However, in two threads that I've read recently... may I suggest anger management classes?
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by FiftyoneFtfty View Post
    Dude.
    In all seriousness... I admire you on taking the time to go back to college and bettering yourself. I wish I had the disipline, patience and time to do just that.
    However, in two threads that I've read recently... may I suggest anger management classes?
    Really?!

I have thought about my posting style the last couple of days, I think I might come off as intense or easily upsetable (may not be a word).

Try to imagine me (there are a couple of pictures in the "show us your mug" thread) saying all that with a good natured smirk, that's more like the reality of it. My wife actually gives me crap because I seem to lack emotion and I almost never get irritated (but when I do I REALLY do ).

I do find it difficult to express my thoughts in written word, my wife is amazing at it (being an English professor helps I suppose) but it's a lost art for me. Here I sound harsh and borderline insane more then I like to admit, I'm working to change that but it's proving rather difficult.

I also think it's important that I say once again:

I WAS KIDDING AROUND ABOUT THAT WHOLE SERIOUSDOODOO THING!!

That was a huge mistake and I feel like a complete ass now.

You know what's funny, in real life I'm the guy my friends go to when they need to calm down and think things through. If they read half my posts they might consider otherwise.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I saved your assignment to Word, give me a couple of days and I'll put my unique stamp on those questions.

I didn't go to kowlej.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay, I think you can see where I'm going with this one, you could have expanded on my theme if you hadn't dropped the class:

3. Discuss any TWO pre-Columbian native cultures residing in Mexico prior to the arrival of the Europeans. Emphasize the social, economic as well as political characteristics of each

For 700 years, the Teotihuacanos ran the store in what is now Central Mexico. These are the guys who built the Temple of the Sun. Technologically superior to anyone else in the Americas, the Teotihuacanos thrived and developed a sophisticated society based on agriculture, industry and kicking ass. They had one flaw, border security. The way the Aztecs tell it, the Teotihuacanos were wiped out by natural disasters and disease. The truth is that their middle class was under-cut by low paid workers who’d sneaked across the southern border. The economy collapsed and the Teotihuacanos scattered across the Americas.

The next group of people to rise to prominence was the Toltec. The Toltec weren’t so much a single people but a group of smaller tribes forced together. The Toltec liked flashy dress; bright feathers and body paint were popular. The Toltec are pivotal in Central American history because they invented the god: Quetzalcoatl. The Q-man was both a god AND man, he had red hair and a red beard and white skin. This legend would eventually come back and bite the Aztecs on the ass 400 years later. Once again, as sophisticated as the Toltec were they lacked border security, this time from the north as raiding parties came down and burned villages, towns and cities. For a brief time after the fall of the Toltec, Mexico was run by Quiche, Itza, Mixtec and Chichimecs. In short, Mexico was a cluster-fuck. Nice people who had no direction, decent pottery and NO BORDER SECURITY.

Enter a nifty band of brutal warriors called the Aztecs.

The Aztecs knew how to get their crap together; they rebuilt great cities and organized the country. The Aztecs took border security seriously, maybe too seriously because often their solution to a border threat was genocide. While much is made about Aztec culture, its art, religion, craftsmanship and its government the little things were the key to Aztec success: drainage, security, food and housing. In fact, the Aztecs might still be around if not for their buying into Quetzalcoatl. When the Spanish showed up, their leader (Cortez) resembled the Aztec god, so they let the Spanish stay and whip up trouble.

Ooops!
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Okay, I think you can see where I'm going with this one, you could have expanded on my theme if you hadn't dropped the class:

3. Discuss any TWO pre-Columbian native cultures residing in Mexico prior to the arrival of the Europeans. Emphasize the social, economic as well as political characteristics of each

For 700 years, the Teotihuacanos ran the store in what is now Central Mexico. These are the guys who built the Temple of the Sun. Technologically superior to anyone else in the Americas, the Teotihuacanos thrived and developed a sophisticated society based on agriculture, industry and kicking ass. They had one flaw, border security. The way the Aztecs tell it, the Teotihuacanos were wiped out by natural disasters and disease. The truth is that their middle class was under-cut by low paid workers who’d sneaked across the southern border. The economy collapsed and the Teotihuacanos scattered across the Americas.

The next group of people to rise to prominence was the Toltec. The Toltec weren’t so much a single people but a group of smaller tribes forced together. The Toltec liked flashy dress; bright feathers and body paint were popular. The Toltec are pivotal in Central American history because they invented the god: Quetzalcoatl. The Q-man was both a god AND man, he had red hair and a red beard and white skin. This legend would eventually come back and bite the Aztecs on the ass 400 years later. Once again, as sophisticated as the Toltec were they lacked border security, this time from the north as raiding parties came down and burned villages, towns and cities. For a brief time after the fall of the Toltec, Mexico was run by Quiche, Itza, Mixtec and Chichimecs. In short, Mexico was a cluster-fuck. Nice people who had no direction, decent pottery and NO BORDER SECURITY.

Enter a nifty band of brutal warriors called the Aztecs.

The Aztecs knew how to get their crap together; they rebuilt great cities and organized the country. The Aztecs took border security seriously, maybe too seriously because often their solution to a border threat was genocide. While much is made about Aztec culture, its art, religion, craftsmanship and its government the little things were the key to Aztec success: drainage, security, food and housing. In fact, the Aztecs might still be around if not for their buying into Quetzalcoatl. When the Spanish showed up, their leader (Cortez) resembled the Aztec god, so they let the Spanish stay and whip up trouble.

Ooops!
    LOL!!

That was fucking great Axx, I wish I would have sent him that!

By the way, nice mix of Mesoamerican history and current US politics.