Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Is Emo-Punk Just Hair Metal's Second Coming?

Taking Back Sunday might have a lot more in common with Warrant than they think.

On The Record: Emo Overload

Recently, Maureen Callahan wrote a piece for the New York Post about Crush Management, the NYC cadre that shepherds the careers of Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, the Academy Is ... , Boys Like Girls and Armor for Sleep (or, as Callahan puts it, "basically any band that a 13-year-old girl with a blog and a Hot Topic habit obsesses over").

Aside from providing readers with some genuinely bananas quotes from songwriter/ rock-and-roll vampire Butch Walker about credibility (especially considering this is on his résumé), the article is excellent primarily because it floats the hypothesis that the artists Crush represents are basically the modern-day equivalent of Warrant or White Lion: good-looking, commercially successful bands that no self-respecting music fan would be caught dead listening to. Hair-metal acts for the MySpace generation.

And if that's true (and it probably is), then that raises the question: Are we currently living in the Trixter/Winger era of the genre? Has emo-punk — a term that, at this point, is so indefinable that it somehow encompasses My Chemical Romance, Panic and Cute Is What We Aim For, three bands that are neither particularly "emotional" nor particularly "punk," unless you count ripping off Queen, dressing up like a marionette or being terrible as such — become so same-y, so formulaic and so watered down that it now borders on self-parody? Is 2007 really just 1989 but, you know, worse?

Well, yes.

Let's compare: Both hair-metal and emo-punk acts exist almost primarily on the aesthetic plane — the obvious connection here is the hair — and count among their chief reasons for success the physical attributes of one bandmember (be it Kip Winger's toothy grin or Pete Wentz's, um, pouty lips). As a result, both appeal primarily — nay, almost exclusively — to young girls, those who, as Callahan puts it, are "not yet ready for real rebellion." Both are critically derided, save one act that is begrudgingly admired by critics (Extreme, MCR). And while both do, in fact, rock, no dyed-in-denim rock fan would ever admit to liking them (i.e. a Metallica fan would've never said, "Skid Row is kind of awesome," inasmuch as no Linkin Park fan would admit that "Boys Like Girls totally brought it last night").

And, of course, there's the songs, which tend to tackle serious issues in seriously bantam-weight ways (Skid Row's "18 and Life," Taking Back Sunday's "A Decade Under the Influence"); the overtly crass accessibility (hair metal, by definition and execution, was tailor-made for radio, whereas emo-punk is neatly customized for MySpace players); and, uh, the fact that both genres died (or are dying) under the sheer weight of "bands" operating underneath their respective umbrellas.

The comparison brings up several rather, uh, troubling questions: Are MCR and FOB this generation's Guns N' Roses and Metallica — i.e. rock acts that are actually pretty awesome yet won't be truly recognized for their brilliance until all other pretenders to the throne die off? Who will be the 2007 version of Firehouse? (Coheed and Cambria?) And will we all, in 20 years' time, clamor for a Taking Back Sunday reunion tour?

And — perhaps more importantly — when emo-punk finally does die off, what will take its place? We all know that hair metal begat Nirvana, primarily because Kurt Cobain was the very antithesis of hair metal's Pablum and posturing (but also because Nirvana were a great band). So what will succeed emo? If history is correct, it'll be a band as far removed as possible from Fall Out Boy, one that plays totally insincere, totally ripping rock, and one fronted by a totally un-hirsute, totally ugly dude.

Which totally describes the Bronx, who are, coincidentally, also managed by Crush. There is no escape.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT, II, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

AS IS
    Last Online

05.26.15 @ 05:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting. Maybe emo will implode and when that day comes, I will be the happiest man alive.
    -----HuBBs5150-----

"Meet us in the future not the pasture!" - DLR, Aug 13th 2007

What is GamingVision?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

True, there is a sameness, a formulatic approach to many of the tunes (come up with a "chant along, anthemic" chorus, a pop-like easy to assimilate verse in which one bitches about shit beyond one's control) that bears a striking resemblance to Hair Metal, the actual songwriting ability of the emo-punks is in truth pretty damned impressive.

I still miss guitar solos, however.

There is a problem with typecasting music by genre: One get's stuck making sweeping generalizations to back up one's point, ignoring the truly revolutionary extremes fomented by the more worthy artists for the one's with the most "air time".

Just as their were 50 "Poisons" for every worthy (and unfairly ignored) hard rock act, there are 50 "Taking Back Sundays" for each "My Chemical Romance", along with speculation for what will replace them, in a sense: Where is the next "Nirvana"?

Funny how some things only never change, they only repeat.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I see the connection.

Only difference is, I actually LIKE some hair bands
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Umm...
    Last Online

06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Is Emo-Punk Just Hair Metal's Second Coming?

I sure as hell hope not!!
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

Bands I've seen:

VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

Proud Threetard

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Too many
    Last Online

11.22.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

no way...there was actual talent in those bands musically compared to todays over processed cut and paste, quantize everything to a machine grid, line everything up ..music.... come on....

yeah some of the 80's shit was goofy but nearly not as ridiculous as today.

"i hate my life....it sucks yada yada yada...."...

kid...you live a grew up in FUCKING AUGORA HILLS, CA AND YOUR DAD'S A DOCTOR!

carryy on haha

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.15.17 @ 01:15 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

No way you can compare FOB and MCR to Metallica and Guns and Roses . Not even close

Favorite VH Album

The one I'm listenin' to.
    Favorite VH Song

Can't pick just one
    Last Online

01.21.15 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

Metallica and Guns N' Roses hair bands?????
    ALEX IS GOD!!!

I've been doin' this for 'bout 20 years now, and I'll tell ya, to this day I still don't know the right drumstick from the left drumstick -Alex Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Can ya have a bald dude in the band and still be called a hair band....?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Why do you hope not, Wolfgang? This means it would die out eventually.

The only hair bands I like are Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, and Ratt. Two proved longevity and one managed to kick ass while they were still around.

Other than that, yeah, musically it's all cheese. Poison, Warrant, etc. Its the same thing as your Fall Out Boy's and Panic! At The Disco's. Eventually these bands will die out, just like the aforementioned two hair bands. And the music they write have some hook that a lot of people love, but people like myself find annoying and cheesey as hell.

I live in a family that supports emo/punk, because my second cousin is the guitarist of Plain White T's. So, they feel forced to listen to the music and like it.

Hey, he's a nice guy, but fuck that. I haven't fallen into the trap. If you like mozzarella more than cheddar, the fact is its still cheese, if you catch my drift. Modern music will change, just like it always has. The Beatles did it first, then Jimi Hendrix, then Aerosmith, then Van Halen, then Nirvana, and I stopped paying attention after that.

I'm waiting for the next "Nirvana." Just hope the music's better than theirs
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Favorite VH Album

II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Umm...
    Last Online

06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I dont want to live through an era of music I hate I dont think there will ever be another VH or even Aerosmith. Dont get me wrong, there are some good new bands that will carry on the torch. But for the most part more new crap is springing up all over the place. Panic! is horrendus and Fallout boy sucks for the most part (I will admit I like the chorus to "This aint a scene") I just dont want to have to listen to this crap. All I can do is hope that people like Steve Vai, EJ, Satch, and other super musicians keep pumping out music.
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

Bands I've seen:

VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

Proud Threetard

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang_'99 View Post
    I dont want to live through an era of music I hate I dont think there will ever be another VH or even Aerosmith. Dont get me wrong, there are some good new bands that will carry on the torch. But for the most part more new crap is springing up all over the place. Panic! is horrendus and Fallout boy sucks for the most part (I will admit I like the chorus to "This aint a scene") I just dont want to have to listen to this crap. All I can do is hope that people like Steve Vai, EJ, Satch, and other super musicians keep pumping out music.
    I wouldn't get too pissed or worried about it.

As long as the classic music lives inside of you, what have you got to worry about what plays on the radio for anyway? I learned that a long time ago.

When my folks put on the Loop I take off my headphones and listen to the magnificent classic rock tunes they keep alive. When they turn on KISS-FM, I just put my headphones back on.

I definitely wish I coulda lived through Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Van Halen in their heyday, and Queen with Freddie Mercury. But I feel that living now and being able to study it all up, it all feels new to me.

Someday you'll learn that concept, and be thankful I told you about it.

You're not in high school yet, but I'm assuming you'll be going? Well, there's a much more diverse musical class and you'll find a whole lot more people to relate to on a rock n' roll aspect

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

I'll take "hair metal" any day. Any rock band that was popular from about '86 - '92 was called a hair band for some reason anyway. To me, it was my favorite era of hard rock. If you take away the images of certain videos of coreographed headbanging and puffy hairdos and just lisen to the tunes, most of it is just straight up blues based rock. Maybe a bit glossy production-wise, but those were the times. Hell, even Poison dropped the glam look after a while, but people will only remember the "Nothin' but a Good Time" video. I think most of the bands were giong for an Aerosmith/Van Halen vibe, which in my opinion ain't that bad. Of course some were better than others. But some really great musicians came out of this era (Via, Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Billy Sheenan, Phil Collen, Vito Brata, etc.) There's no one in the same ballpark as any to those guys nowdays. Like I've said before, I'll listen to Aerosmith / VH wannabees before Green Day wannabees any day.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    I'm waiting for the next "Nirvana." Just hope the music's better than theirs
    I just found the little fuckers who'll put the final nail into the EMO music scene!!!

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton