('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default Brothers killed in separate car crashes hours apart

Wow. This is horrible.

PROSPECT, Maine -- Two brothers from Winterport were killed in separate highway crashes less than seven hours apart in this midcoast town.

Adrian Basford, 52, lost his life around 5:30 p.m. Saturday when his motorcycle went out of control on U.S. 1A, crossed a driveway and struck an embankment. State police said Basford was traveling too fast while rounding a curve.

His brother, Wallace Basford, 48, was killed just before midnight in a single-vehicle crash on U.S. 1 near the Penobscot Narrows Bridge.

Basford's van failed to negotiate a left turn as he was coming off the new bridge and slammed into a ledge wall, the Waldo County Sheriff's Department said. Basford, who was alone in the van, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Basford had gotten word of his brother's death and spoke to police at the scene. He was reported to have been drinking later that night in Bucksport, said Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety.

A blood-alcohol test, which is standard in motor vehicle fatalities, will determine whether alcohol was a factor in the crash.

Trooper Stephen Hills, who investigated the motorcycle accident, said Basford told him that the brothers' father had died recently.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

That is very sad. You never know when your number's gonna be up.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

07.27.11 @ 07:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that happened right outside of nashville a couple of years ago...one brother died in a wreck, the other died while driving to the scene of his brother's wreck. horrible for the parents.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Wow...... Talk about a double whammy for that family.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Blount5150 View Post
    that happened right outside of nashville a couple of years ago...one brother died in a wreck, the other died while driving to the scene of his brother's wreck. horrible for the parents.
    The same thing happened in Butler PA (my hometown) a year or so ago. Both were on motorcycles and the second brother was flying to the scene on his bike when he rounded a bend and crashed into a minivan that was sitting in the traffic jam from the accident.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc View Post
    That is very sad. You never know when your number's gonna be up.
    That is such terrible and sad news.

You know, that is so true. I believe that you can live any way that you choose to, because it doesn't matter what you do, when it's time to go, it's time to go, regardless of your lifestyle.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

My brother and I almost shared the same fate 12 years ago. I was working a 5pm to 1:30am shift and my sister's b/f at the time and I rode together. The weather on the way home was a typical April evening/early morning: Thunder storm, high winds, tornado type weather and it was raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock. While on the way home from work, about 2 am, and with him driving like a raving lunatic (it was raining so hard you really couldn't see more than about 50 yards ahead and he was doing about 65), we ended up going off of the road about 3 miles from home when he tried to avoid a tree that had fallen across the road. Thank God for the huge gas line that stopped us! No shit, the thing that stopped the car after we went down a steep ditch was a big gas line. We walked most of the way back to the house, and we were finally picked up by a sheriffs deputy about a half mile from the house.

When we got to my house, my sisters were freaking out, considering the weather was completely shitty, and a sheriffs car pulled up to the house at about 3 in the morning.

Once we got them calmed down a little bit, they told us about my brother, who was working power line construction in Montana, and had been involved in an accident at work when a 2-ton bundle of steel, used in the construction of the towers had been dropped on top of him the day before. Other than pile driving him into the ground, and a couple of bruises here and there, he was okay, and actually made it to work the next day.

It was really freaky to find out that we both kind of cheated death within about a 12 hour period, several hundred miles apart. It was about 5 months after my Mom had passed as well. It still kind of gives me the chills when I think about it.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)