Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

04.24.11 @ 06:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Why Cherone might be VH's future singer

First things first. Copy one (or both) of the following lines and paste it in the Quick Reply box below.

You're a F'ing Idiot!
    III sucked flaming donkey balls.

Now that we've got that out of the way, do both of us a favor and read the rest of this post. These are the reasons why I think Gary might return as the future singer.

Musically...

1. Despite what you heard on III, the guy can sing. Rock, soul, funk, industrial, pop, or even (dammit) ballads. No matter what direction Ed wants to take VH, he'd have a capable voice with Cherone. Again, I don't know what happened with III...but I know it doesn't reflect what he is capable of.

2. He respects VH's past and actually inspires Ed and Al to dig out old gems on tour. He has no bias as far as who's catalogue gets sung...Dave's hits and Sam's hits are all fair game.

3. Sam and Dave are terrific at being Sam and Dave. That is to say that Gary will never be the swaggering, assless-chapped, sexy lead singer of the early 80s. Nor will he ever be the Red Rocker. And that's a good thing. The last thing I want to see is VH on PBS singing the same great music I heard 20 years ago. A "new" singer gives the band a chance to grow and make mistakes and maybe survive another generation.

Bidness-wise...

Ed views VH as a living legacy that will eventually be inherited by his wunderkind son. Now how much of that was the Loon talking is another post. But let's assume that he does, indeed, intend on bringing Wolfie into the band, and he wants to skew young(er). Which of the three singers offers the best opportunity for what Ed sees as the future?

Dave? Even if Ed can manage to soberly navigate a CD and tour with Diamond Dave, is this what he wants for Wolf? Dave's at his best when the spotlight is firmly on Dave. Additionally, while a Dave-fronted VH would be a dream come true for us older fans, how is that going to play to the kids? Those with old souls might dig it...but most would be creeped out.

Sammy? Closer. If Dave is the crazy uncle you keep locked in the basement, Sammy is the fun uncle your parents don't really see eye-to-eye with. The one that fixes you your first margarita and uses you as a wingman. Sam is Sam and that's great for me (cause F.U.C.K. was my first VH love), but there are a couple of problems. First, Ed would be touring with a bona-fide tequila salesman. Secondly, you still have the problem with the market. How many new fans is another Van Hagar release gonna bring in? <crickets chirping>

Which brings us to Cherone. He's not young...but he is on this side of 50. Outside of the "More than Words" deal, he's still a relatively blank slate and can be marketed according to the band's needs. As mentioned above, he can sing in just about any style. However, perhaps the important thing about Gary is his personality. He's hard working, he's humble, and would contribute to a clean and positive environment for both father and son. Go ahead and scoff...but how many of you wrote, "I don't care if Ed ever plays again, as long as he stays healthy?" Now you want to send him off with a midget wielding madman or a tequila salesman?! Let's just chip in and by him a Promises giftcard.

The Big Finish...

Having said all that...I fervently hope that Gary isn't the future singer of Van Halen. I would much rather see Ed, Al, Mike, and Dave lock themselves in studio somewhere with Templeman and reappear 10 days later with the most kick-ass 31 minutes of rock and roll since 1979. But being the dour Methodist I yam, I don't see that happening. Instead I'm afraid that we'll either be hearing more of "Up for Breakfast" or looking for the next VH disc between "Buttbangers 12" and "One MILF at a Time." Gives new meaning to Red Rocker, huh?

I'd much rather give Gary a chance. There's probably a dozen Linkers who could have done a better job producing III. There are probably 100 Linkers that could have promoted a better tour. I think most of you disagree, and that's fine...but I think it could work. I think it's at least worth a try.

Thanks for the forum...grouch.
    I like Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I actually liked Gary in VH but the bottom line is, it'll never happen again purely because the general public as a whole never accepted him into the fold of VH...

...but thanks for the seriously thoughtful post on the subject...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

does this really deserve a new thread?
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Why Cherone may be the future ... even though they announced Roth is back in the band.

+1

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZORBA5150 View Post
    does this really deserve a new thread?
    I think so...I hope so... I tried to take a realistic approach to the question of VH's future. I think that, in light of the recent happenings in Eddie's life, this is a potentially viable alternative and I tried to thoughtfully explain it in a way that we could discuss (or ignore as you choose).

Of course it isn't up to me. I try to respect the board and the mods...so if they deem it silly or unnecessary then so be it.
    I like Van Halen.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rockygotfingered View Post
    Why Cherone may be the future ... even though they announced Roth is back in the band.

+1
    I know that's the company line right now. But I also explained why I don't think Roth isn't a long term solution...even though I would be the first in line to by the new CVH release.

Look, I think some form of a tour will happen. I don't think it will last. In fact, I'll make you a bet...if they make it from start to finish and release a CD of new material with Roth I'll happily let you (or anyone you choose) design my avatar. Be as vicious as you want.
    I like Van Halen.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.08.08 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not going to happen! Why would they go back to the era of there only failure? Gary and I are from the same town and I run into him occasionally. A few years ago I was talking to him about what happened with him leaving the band. He said it was getting dsyfunctional ( no surprise there) and he wanted to leave it at that. He did say something interesting to me though. He said him and Eddie plan on recording together again when Van Halen is over. There was also a news segment on a local Boston tv station about Gary last summer when Extreme did a few reuinion shows in Boston, and he mentioned that him and Eddie plan on doing something in the future. I seriously doubt it will ever happen though. He told me Mike is the only one from the band that he keeps in touch with. He is a class act. He never has a bad word to say about anybody. He did a great job when he was in VH. The guy has no ego whatsoever. It's too bad more VH fans didn't give him a chance. He is a very talented guy.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by groucheux View Post
    In fact, I'll make you a bet...if they make it from start to finish and release a CD of new material with Roth I'll happily let you (or anyone you choose) design my avatar. Be as vicious as you want.

by the time these events happen we'll all be living in retirement homes
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't think we're looking at long term situations with this band anymore.

Ten years ago, yes, but now.....one more tour would be a major bonus, IMO.

And I don't see Gary being the guy for one more tour.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    I don't think we're looking at long term situations with this band anymore.

Ten years ago, yes, but now.....one more tour would be a major bonus, IMO.

And I don't see Gary being the guy for one more tour.
    I know we aren't...but I do think Ed is looking at long term solutions. I really thing he really thinks/wants VH live on through his son. I know this is crazy...and most probably based on alcohol-inflated pride in Wolfie...but I really do think Ed has more in mind than the next greatest hits package.

I also think he wants to give the fans what they want..which is Dave. That's why an attempt at a Dave headlined tour makes sense...sort of a "Happy Trails to You" moment. But then I think it will be VHnext. Whatever that is.
    I like Van Halen.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbug View Post
    He did say something interesting to me though. He said him and Eddie plan on recording together again when Van Halen is over. There was also a news segment on a local Boston tv station about Gary last summer when Extreme did a few reuinion shows in Boston, and he mentioned that him and Eddie plan on doing something in the future.
    "when Van Halen is over..." that's sobering isn't it? I hate to say it, but "when Van Halen is over" might be after this next Roth lead tour. And wouldn't it make sense for Ed to bring along his son and maybe brother for this "something" that he wants to do with Gary?

That's very interesting jeffbug...thanks!
    I like Van Halen.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.11.10 @ 04:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by groucheux View Post
    Bidness-wise...

Ed views VH as a living legacy that will eventually be inherited by his wunderkind son. Now how much of that was the Loon talking is another post. But let's assume that he does, indeed, intend on bringing Wolfie into the band, and he wants to skew young(er).
    While I agree that your logic makes sense for someone who is sane and rational, which Ed has proved himself not to be time after time, I genuinely think that if Ed had some grand strategy in mind he would have implemented it already. I mean, they (along with their core fan base) IOW's, he doesn't know what he wants to do with "his" band right now so any long term plans to tap into a younger demographic probably aren't the first thing on his to do list. Fully tapping into the youth market is out of reach for VH at this point, even with Wolf. You have to have great songs first for that to happen. I fear that they're doomed to the nostalgia circuit from here on out.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would agree bringing Cherone back makes more sense than singer four but I don't think Gary would want to do it again. He know VH is either Roth or Hagar and not Cherone. He knows that 100% of the fans want either one or the other. As far a new fans- They will pick up new fans if they put out new music but the days of when Van Halen ruled the world (according to teenagers) has past.

You will never go to a VH concert and see a young crowd- except for the parents that feel it is required they drag there 16 year old with them and would say the majority of VH fans have kids passing the age they can be forced to go with. A VH concert will always be 99.9 overweight, balding white dudes with a handful women that were probably very hot 25 years ago but look a little weathered now.

Favorite VH Album

VHI, VHII, WACF, Fair Warning
    Last Online

09.04.08 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is no chance that Gary Cherone is ever going to be in Van Halen again. It is also a terrible idea.

On Fire
    Last Online

07.22.11 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The hagar reunion didnt do up to their expectations. What makes you think theyll go back to cherone??

dave is STILL in the band take it or leave it..