Default 'Jericho' fans assail CBS with 25 tons of peanuts

'Jericho' fans assail CBS with 25 tons of peanuts
    POSTED: 10:18 a.m. EDT, June 6, 2007
    Story Highlights
    • Source: CBS reconsidering decision to axe popular show
    • Fan says "educated professionals" are rallying behind show
    • Show appeals to young audience; online version well-received
    • Network donating 50,000 pounds of protest peanuts to charity

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Fans trumpeting the cause of CBS' canceled drama "Jericho" have caught the network's ear.

CBS, deluged with calls, messages and shipments of nuts signifying viewer displeasure, is reconsidering its decision, a source close to the production said Tuesday.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment publicly. A decision on whether to bring the show back, probably for a midseason run, is imminent, the source said.

"We are tired of the networks (not just CBS) tossing aside quality programming," was the message carried by jericholives.com, one of several Web sites protesting the cancellation. "Enough! We're going to fight for this one."

Clarke Ingram, a "Jericho" fan from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and a spokesman for jericholives, said he was optimistic that CBS would find a way to revive the drama about a Kansas town isolated by a nuclear terrorist attack.

"People would paint this as teenagers in tinfoil hats" rallying behind the show, said Ingram, 50, an operations manager for two radio stations. "That's not what this is. These are educated professionals."

The show's daring premise, its writing and acting make the case for its survival, he said.

Several factors could work in the show's favor: It appeals to the young adult viewers sought by advertisers and was one of CBS' most popular shows streamed online, indicating an audience beyond that measured by traditional ratings.

CBS may also be considering the dent a long hiatus put in the show's viewership, the same scheduling misstep that hurt ABC's "Lost" and NBC's "Heroes."

The network apparently has been impressed by the display of viewer passion, which included the delivery of 50,000 pounds of peanuts to its New York offices. In the season finale, a character replies "Nuts!" to a demand that the beleaguered town of Jericho surrender.

That's the same response that a U.S. general in World War II made to a German demand for surrender at the Battle of the Bulge.

There's already been one positive outcome: CBS is donating the protest peanuts to charities, including one that sends care packages to troops overseas.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning,F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.28.07 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's great, I donated to the cause. The show was fresh and excellent, hopefully CBS brings it back, from all reports it sounds like it's working.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Yeah, I was kinda pissed when they cancelled this.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

What stinks is that shows like this are cancelled, usually to make way for truly groundbreaking concepts such as making a sitcom out of the Geico "Cave Men" commercials.

Christ, one would think that with a medium that offers us "I Love New York", "The Flavor Of Love" and "Brett Michaels Is So Washed Up, He Needs A Reality Show To Get A Girlfriend", there would be room for a quality show to be kept on the air.

One would be mistaken.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Ha! Good for them. Jericho is what TV quality TV ought to be about these days. Maybe it'll get CBS to get it back on the air...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning,F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.28.07 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:40 PM
    Liked 1,595 Times in 981 Posts

Donor

Jericho was a good show, absolutely. Was bummed when I heard it was cancelled, especially with that last episode cliffhanger. Impressive that the network actually responded and brought it back as a midseason replacement.

The only reason it took the dive it did was 'cause of those stupid midseason hiatuses the networks applied, to Heroes and Lost too. Guess they've all learned a lesson about that. They're not gonna start Lost until 2008 and run it straight through (only 16 episodes for 3 more seasons, though). And I doubt Heroes will endure any lengthy hiatuses anymore either.

It's one thing to rerun once or twice. It's another thing entirely to blackout for 2-3 months.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I really got into Jericho as well, I think Hawkins is a great character.
    I did my emails to CBS as well as sent a couple of pounds of peanuts as well.

Looks like we won this one as CBS just announced they are now bringing Jericho back for at least 8 episodes!!!!!

Very cool, on a side note only 8 days until Rescue Me Season 4 begins...awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/...8-1807ac88f4ab

Another article on the resurrection of the show.
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007