Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

03.23.09 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best Pickup for Ash Body (B/W VHI Guitar)

Hey guys,

I'll TRY to keep this short so as not to bore you with a long read, but I have some questions for the more experienced guitarists and musicians here.

Alright I'm building a replica of Eddie's black and white strat and I bought all the unfinished parts online to try and get as close as I could to all the types of woods that Edward used with his frankie. So I have a strat body made of Northern Ash (I'm assuming that's what Edward had, or close to it) and I play through a 5150 head/marshall cabinet.

I have heard lots of talk on the ideal pickup for Ed's sound, but in all honesty I want to go for a sound that is both Ed's and mine. I actually play through the normal gain input of my 5150 as I feel it gives me more clarity and alot less feedback, which I like. My power tube section has been replaced with Sovtek 5881 tubes and my Preamp section has 12AX7's with a bit more thump in the bottom end. ( Tried to somewhat replicate the types of tubes in a Soldano SLO100)

With all that being said... I need a pickup of MODERATE output that will sound good. I like a nice crunch, a buttery bottom end and something that doesn't have ear piercing highs, but clear highs at that. I was looking at the Seymour Duncan SH-11 and it might be what I just may end up going with. I don't have the money to get the '78 model so I need to tone it down, and I don't want a PAF replica because I need just a little bit more output since I play through the Normal Gain input. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions that would be awesome!! Any audio clips of someone who has a similar pickup/amp setup that I mentioned would be UNBELIEVABLY APPRECIATED!!

Also... could someone explain to me what the Alnico II magnet compared to the Alnico V magnet debate is all about, and how they change the tone of a pickup.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

There's always a lot of good suggestions here for pickups. There's been some recent threads on this very topic, so do some browsing and you can get some good ideas right away.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangerang5150 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'll TRY to keep this short so as not to bore you with a long read, but I have some questions for the more experienced guitarists and musicians here.

Alright I'm building a replica of Eddie's black and white strat and I bought all the unfinished parts online to try and get as close as I could to all the types of woods that Edward used with his frankie. So I have a strat body made of Northern Ash (I'm assuming that's what Edward had, or close to it) and I play through a 5150 head/marshall cabinet.

I have heard lots of talk on the ideal pickup for Ed's sound, but in all honesty I want to go for a sound that is both Ed's and mine. I actually play through the normal gain input of my 5150 as I feel it gives me more clarity and alot less feedback, which I like. My power tube section has been replaced with Sovtek 5881 tubes and my Preamp section has 12AX7's with a bit more thump in the bottom end. ( Tried to somewhat replicate the types of tubes in a Soldano SLO100)

With all that being said... I need a pickup of MODERATE output that will sound good. I like a nice crunch, a buttery bottom end and something that doesn't have ear piercing highs, but clear highs at that. I was looking at the Seymour Duncan SH-11 and it might be what I just may end up going with. I don't have the money to get the '78 model so I need to tone it down, and I don't want a PAF replica because I need just a little bit more output since I play through the Normal Gain input. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions that would be awesome!! Any audio clips of someone who has a similar pickup/amp setup that I mentioned would be UNBELIEVABLY APPRECIATED!!

Also... could someone explain to me what the Alnico II magnet compared to the Alnico V magnet debate is all about, and how they change the tone of a pickup.

You've just described a duncan hybrid to T. 11.5k, One coil from a custom, one from a 59-and a mag of your choice. Mine has an A3 and a AII pro coil.

A2:weak bass-lot of mids-smooth highs
    A5-strong bass and highs-neutral mids

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the breadman View Post
    You've just described a duncan hybrid to T. 11.5k, One coil from a custom, one from a 59-and a mag of your choice. Mine has an A3 and a AII pro coil.

A2:weak bass-lot of mids-smooth highs
    A5-strong bass and highs-neutral mids
    NICE!! Where would I be able to pick one of these up? Or are they just custom made?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

PM bachtorock at the duncan forums. He'll make you one for around 70 or ask at the trading post there. Someone might be selling one cheaper.

Might want to try making one yourself. Grab a used custom and 59, swap the coils and you'll have 2 hybrids for around what you'll pay BTR to make one.

Thats what i did. Wasnt too hard, but those wires are small!

If you have BTR make you one have him make a double screw version. Then radius the poles(the added full-bodied drive from doing this is unreal!) and knock the vol pot down to 250k with 2 1 meg resistors in parallel between the hot and ground lugs of the vol pot.

From your description it sounds like you want an A2 mag in it. I used an A3 for a little more sparkle and bass. BTR said eddie told him bout the hybrid backstage onetime. Guess eddie was supposed to have used it around the fair warning era.

Great versatile pickup that also does VH to the bone.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the breadman View Post
    PM bachtorock at the duncan forums. He'll make you one for around 70 or ask at the trading post there. Someone might be selling one cheaper.

Might want to try making one yourself. Grab a used custom and 59, swap the coils and you'll have 2 hybrids for around what you'll pay BTR to make one.

Great versatile pickup that also does VH to the bone.
    Thanks for stealing my thunder. And you are correct!

If you like the "EQ shape" of the Custom Custom, but don't want that much compression, yet still don't want to go all the way down to a PAF, then the Hybrid is the cheapest way to go. I would probably use an A2 or A3 magnet to keep it warm, but that's up to you.

It's mathematically in the MIDDLE of a Custom Custom and a PAF. Since the Custom line of pickups (the Custom, the Custom Custom, and the Custom 5) are all identical except for the magnets, and voiced to sound like a whopper PAF, it's a good marriage.

You could also view it as a cheaper and slightly more powerful version of Duncan's '78 pickup.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great! Thanks for all the help guys and sorry if this subject has been beaten to death, but, in all honesty... I'm not looking for brownsound right on, just a pickup that'll get me in the right direction... a sound that will please my ears. So thanks again!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'll be curious to hear if anyone has tried or knows anything about GFS pickups from Guitar Fetish: http://store.guitarfetish.com/

The "overwound" PAFs might be something like what bangerang5150 is looking for.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

I have their Classic Alnico PAF Vintage '59 humbucker in a Squire 51 that the only difference I can tell between it and a Seymor Duncan is it's just a touch warmer and costs hell of a lot cheaper at $34.95!!
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I'll be curious to hear if anyone has tried or knows anything about GFS pickups from Guitar Fetish: http://store.guitarfetish.com/

The "overwound" PAFs might be something like what bangerang5150 is looking for.
    I actually got my all black pickguard from that site! GREAT SERVICE. I didn't even think to look there for pickups, they have quite the selection. Which PAF were you recommding I try? The prices are so cheap that I wouldnt mind just picking one of those bad boys up for the hell of it to try it out.

Classic Alnico PAF
    Alnico Fat PAF
    Crunchy High Output PAF

Which one should I try??

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.29.08 @ 09:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://www.highorderpickups.com/

try this link, tell me what you guys think?

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

SD CC
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pancho View Post
    http://www.highorderpickups.com/

try this link, tell me what you guys think?
    That's a pretty cool site, indeed. Great variety of things to choose from on there for a custom pickup.

I just wish on that GuitarFetish website that they could list the type of Alnico magnets in each PAF humbucker. It usually just says WARM ALNICO or CRISP CLEAR ALNICOS. hmmmm...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I actually got my all black pickguard from that site! GREAT SERVICE. I didn't even think to look there for pickups, they have quite the selection. Which PAF were you recommding I try? The prices are so cheap that I wouldnt mind just picking one of those bad boys up for the hell of it to try it out.

Classic Alnico PAF
    Alnico Fat PAF
    Crunchy High Output PAF

Which one should I try??
    Yeah, I bought a neck and some clearance pickups from them three days ago and they showed up today. Not bad!

I'm realizing I can't possibly keep spending the kind of money I have been on my custom guitars, so I've been exploring options for getting some parts cheaper that aren't necessarily cheap in quality (maybe just a little less known). I'll try out their pickups and see how they are.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

That's a pretty cool site, indeed. Great variety of things to choose from on there for a custom pickup.

I just wish on that GuitarFetish website that they could list the type of Alnico magnets in each PAF humbucker. It usually just says WARM ALNICO or CRISP CLEAR ALNICOS. hmmmm...
    I've heard there's a lot of reviews of their stuff on harmony-central and that one of the owners posts their regularly as well. (Got this info from a bud at the music store today.)