Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Likes
    842
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default Return of the Cold War

    Putin says test missile is signal to U.S.

    MOSCOW, Russia (Reuters) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin launched a scathing attack on the West on Thursday, accusing Washington of imperialism and of starting a new arms race.

    Speaking a week before he meets leaders of the Group of Eight (G-8) industrial nations in Germany, Putin said Russia's tests on Tuesday of a two new missiles were a direct response to U.S. moves to create a missile defense system.

    "We are not the initiators of this new round of the arms race," Putin told a joint Kremlin news conference with visiting Greek President Karolos Papoulias.

    "There is no need to fear Russia's actions: They are not aggressive," he said. "They are a mere response to harsh and groundless unilateral actions by our partners and are aimed at maintaining the balance of forces in the world."

    Putin's comments, which will be popular among ordinary Russians in a year when there is a parliamentary election, are the latest in a line of harsh outbursts against the West.

    Russia on Tuesday test-fired a new intercontinental ballistic missile with multiple warheads and a new cruise missiles, which Russian generals say are sufficient to ensure the country's security for the next 40 years.

    "Our partners are stuffing eastern Europe with new weapons," Putin said. "What are we supposed to do? We cannot just observe all this."

    Moscow has been alarmed by U.S. plans to deploy elements of its global missile defense system in Poland and the Czech Republic. Washington says it wants to avert attacks from "rogue states" such as Iran, but Russia sees a threat to its own security.

    "There is a clear desire by some international players to dictate their will to everyone without adhering to international law," Putin said. "International law has been replaced by political reasons."

    "In our opinion it is nothing different from diktat, nothing different from imperialism," he added.

    Putin says Russia needed new missiles for its security
    Relations between Russia and the United States are strained by issues that also include U.S. concerns that human rights and democracy are backsliding in Russia.

    Putin and Bush have a chance to discuss their countries' differences at talks in the United States on July 1-2.

    Putin said Russia had to design new missiles after Washington quit the Cold War-era Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) treaty in order to pursue its missile shield project.

    "We have warned them then that we will come out with a response to maintain the strategic balance in the world," he said.

    "We conducted a test of a new strategic ballistic missile with multiple warheads, and of a new cruise missile, and will continue to improve our resources."

    In another move putting Russia at odds with the West, Putin has frozen Russia's commitments under the 1990 Conventional Forces in Europe (CFE) pact, which limits heavy weapons deployed between the Atlantic and the Urals mountains.

    Russia blames NATO countries for failing to ratify the 1999 version of the treaty which took into account the collapse of the Soviet Union and the departure of its Warsaw Pact allies.

    NATO believes Russia should first meets its commitment to withdraw military bases from ex-Soviet Georgia and Moldova.

    "We say: Ratify the treaty and start carrying it out or we will quit it for good," Putin said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    More Jack Higgins/Tom Clancy/Robert Ludlam/Frederick Forsyth novels! COOL!

    Gee, nothing quite like it when history repeats itself.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk jimmy812's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,640
    Last Online

    06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Likes
    1,188
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

    Default

    I thought Rocky IV put an end to all this.

    Maybe Rocky should fight Drago again before this all gets out of hand.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

  4. #4
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.05.01
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    826
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    whatever.

    they can't afford it anyway.
    not another dime from me, fellas...

    tinzen

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk FORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.00
    Age
    51
    Location
    The Mighty Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,807
    Favorite VH Album

    All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    We can't afford it either.

    Nice goin' Chimpy, ya dumb son of a bitch!
    Eat Us And Smile

    Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

    ...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

    "What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

  6. #6
    Eruption vh resurrection's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.03.04
    Age
    42
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,406
    Favorite VH Album

    VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

    03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    We can't afford it either.

    Nice goin' Chimpy, ya dumb son of a bitch!
    I think we need to have a missile defense system. Regardless of who you blame for it, North Korea and Iran do not like the US. They also have nuclear capability. I would much rather spend money on missile defense than on manufacturing more nuclear weapons.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

  7. #7
    Eruption
    Join Date
    05.11.05
    Posts
    1,024
    Last Online

    10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Can we possibly piss anybody else off?

    Is there anyone else left?

    I guess we are going to need a missile defense system.

  8. #8
    Hot For Teacher Chop's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.01.07
    Location
    Rogersville Tn
    Posts
    263
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    04.15.17 @ 01:15 AM
    Likes
    106
    Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cokemach1 View Post
    Can we possibly piss anybody else off?

    Is there anyone else left?

    I guess we are going to need a missile defense system.
    I think that just about covers it , no wait lets go mess with . this shit is way out of hand . Congrats W , we are the most hated country in the world .

  9. #9
    Eruption Kevy5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.23.03
    Posts
    1,500
    Favorite VH Album

    Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

    07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Impeach Bush.
    Respects.

  10. #10
    Damage your reputation seenbad's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.24.00
    Age
    45
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    26,946
    Favorite VH Album

    Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the one
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Likes
    73
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    lol. You guys are funny.

    Impeach the bastard for trying to protect the USA!!

    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

    Gunter glieben glauchen globen

  11. #11
    Eruption Kevy5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.23.03
    Posts
    1,500
    Favorite VH Album

    Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

    07.12.08 @ 04:41 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Riiight, protect.
    Respects.

  12. #12
    Eruption vh resurrection's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.03.04
    Age
    42
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,406
    Favorite VH Album

    VHII, WACF, 5150
    Last Online

    03.31.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    lol. You guys are funny.

    Impeach the bastard for trying to protect the USA!!

    Amen. It is a missile DEFENSE system after all.
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce the king of 10 fingers and six strings... Mr. Edward Van Halen!"

  13. #13
    Watch the hair!!!
    Join Date
    03.23.02
    Location
    Southeastern U.S.
    Posts
    1,673
    Favorite VH Album

    VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

    07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    We can't afford it either.

    Nice goin' Chimpy, ya dumb son of a bitch!
    Nice use of projection with the "dumb son of a bitch" line. You may consider yourself a valuable contributor in the all-important online VH community -- when in actuality you're just an angry, loud-mouthed nobody -- but that does not provide you with the requisite credentials to be calling anybody a "dumb son of a bitch."

    Regarding the topic at hand, of course we can afford it. We'll just cut the welfare payments and entitlement programs that go to 40-year-old "useful idiots" like you (though we won't take away your mental health benefits since those are obviously needed). Russia is actually the country that can't afford to spend on their defense programs. We certainly can fund the creation of a missile defense system, but it would be easier if we got rid of the some of the pork barrel projects that both Republicans (including Bush) and Democrats in Congress can't seem to stop spending on, and to reform all of our entitlement programs, especially social security.

    Once again, you have decided to criticize Bush while ignoring the actions of Putin and Russia on this matter, as well as the Russian government's anti-democratic actions within their own country and the former Soviet Republics (including credible accusations of Russian government spies poisoning Ukraine president Viktor Yushchenko and Kremlin critic Alexander Litvinenko). You like to criticize Bush for supposedly playing on the fears of Americans, but you're too obtuse to see from this news article that Putin is actually doing that, probably to deflect attention from his goverment's anti-democratic activities and his country's pathetic economic performance under his leadership. Perhaps you should also be lecturing Putin on securing the stockpiles of Russia's nuclear weapons, which could slip into the hands of many enemies of America, including al-Qaeda, whether you think the terrorist group exists or not or has a global reach or not (an opinion of yours that differs from that of many foreign governments and previous U.S. presidential administrations, including the Clinton administration, BTW).

    See, self-loathing FORD, you like to tout your patriotism but we all know it only exists when Democrats control the Oval Office. You've probably never read a criticism from an anti-American foreign government that you didn't believe or support. Your criticisms for anti-democratic policies by foreign governments are conveniently ignored (e.g, Russia, Venezuela, etc.) because you support their anti-American, anti-Bush rhetoric, you quisling.

    BTW, FORD, what was your opinion on some of the policies in the 1980s under Reagan that were done to combat the Soviet Union and contributed to its collapse (e.g., Pershing II missiles in Western Europe, Strategic Defense Initiative, support for the anti-Soviet forces in Afghanistan, etc.)? Oh that's right. The Soviet Union would've collapsed anyway because the Soviet Union was a flawed system destined to implode (which is true but is only part of the overall truth). At least that's a favorite retort of many on your side of the political aisle. Of course, you and your ideological brethren also conveniently ignore the fact that right up until the Soviet Union collapsed (or at least the Berlin Wall fell in '89) you and your crowd were telling us we'd have to learn to live with Communism and the Soviet Union and that we shouldn't antagonize the Soviets, a favorite approach of your hero Jimmy Carter. You'd think after being wrong time and time again about issues involving Russia and national security, you and the rest of those who are continually wrong on these issues would just stifle. Actually, I welcome differing views, so let me confine that request just to you because you're whole online act and persona is getting tired and stale.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

    "The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln

  14. #14
    Good Enough ZORBA5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.04.04
    Age
    42
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,503
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delighted Romeo View Post
    Nice use of projection with the "dumb son of a bitch" line. You may consider yourself a valuable contributor in the all-important online VH community -- when in actuality you're just an angry, loud-mouthed nobody -- but that does not provide you with the requisite credentials to be calling anybody a "dumb son of a bitch."

    Regarding the topic at hand, of course we can afford it. We'll just cut the welfare payments and entitlement programs that go to 40-year-old "useful idiots" like you (though we won't take away your mental health benefits since those are obviously needed). Russia is actually the country that can't afford to spend on their defense programs. We certainly can fund the creation of a missile defense system, but it would be easier if we got rid of the some of the pork barrel projects that both Republicans (including Bush) and Democrats in Congress can't seem to stop spending on, and to reform all of our entitlement programs, especially social security.

    Once again, you have decided to criticize Bush while ignoring the actions of Putin and Russia on this matter, as well as the Russian government's anti-democratic actions within their own country and the former Soviet Republics (including credible accusations of Russian government spies poisoning Ukraine president Viktor Yushchenko and Kremlin critic Alexander Litvinenko). You like to criticize Bush for supposedly playing on the fears of Americans, but you're too obtuse to see from this news article that Putin is actually doing that, probably to deflect attention from his goverment's anti-democratic activities and his country's pathetic economic performance under his leadership. Perhaps you should also be lecturing Putin on securing the stockpiles of Russia's nuclear weapons, which could slip into the hands of many enemies of America, including al-Qaeda, whether you think the terrorist group exists or not or has a global reach or not (an opinion of yours that differs from that of many foreign governments and previous U.S. presidential administrations, including the Clinton administration, BTW).

    See, self-loathing FORD, you like to tout your patriotism but we all know it only exists when Democrats control the Oval Office. You've probably never read a criticism from an anti-American foreign government that you didn't believe or support. Your criticisms for anti-democratic policies by foreign governments are conveniently ignored (e.g, Russia, Venezuela, etc.) because you support their anti-American, anti-Bush rhetoric, you quisling.

    BTW, FORD, what was your opinion on some of the policies in the 1980s under Reagan that were done to combat the Soviet Union and contributed to its collapse (e.g., Pershing II missiles in Western Europe, Strategic Defense Initiative, support for the anti-Soviet forces in Afghanistan, etc.)? Oh that's right. The Soviet Union would've collapsed anyway because the Soviet Union was a flawed system destined to implode (which is true but is only part of the overall truth). At least that's a favorite retort of many on your side of the political aisle. Of course, you and your ideological brethren also conveniently ignore the fact that right up until the Soviet Union collapsed (or at least the Berlin Wall fell in '89) you and your crowd were telling us we'd have to learn to live with Communism and the Soviet Union and that we shouldn't antagonize the Soviets, a favorite approach of your hero Jimmy Carter. You'd think after being wrong time and time again about issues involving Russia and national security, you and the rest of those who are continually wrong on these issues would just stifle. Actually, I welcome differing views, so let me confine that request just to you because you're whole online act and persona is getting tired and stale.
    kudos. Great post!
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.


    9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

    05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

    2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

    8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

  15. #15
    Hot For Teacher G3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.25.04
    Posts
    313
    Last Online

    06.23.07 @ 07:21 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    FORD just hates Republicans. I guess he'd call us Repubicans. Anyway, he doesn't have much to go on. It's been a bit since he's posted since Romeo showed him up here. It'd be cool if FORD would be banned from here. It'd be so much more peaceful.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Cold Fusion - 2.0
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05.07.07, 05:48 AM
  2. The Stone Cold Truth
    By waterdog5 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01.30.03, 03:02 PM
  3. Who ran over Stone Cold?
    By Eddymon in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09.23.00, 12:40 PM
  4. Ever meet VH? Cool or cold?
    By jaybird in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08.21.00, 05:18 PM
  5. In a cold sweat?
    By seenbad in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05.31.00, 08:46 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •