Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.14.12 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Is Rock N Roll Dying

I set around and watch the VH1 Rock honors and honor the great groupes of the past, watch the radio stations play mostly Rap, Country, Classic Rock and there is one new rock station in the Dallas/Fort Worth market . It seems as though rock is fading. Is it just me or is the Rock dying? I don't see many exciting new bands out doing what they did in the past. I hate it and would like to see a strong return, does anyone else feel this way? Or is it just me shutting out the new stuff?

Your thoughts!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

The funeral was in 1996...I didn't see it coming either....don't worry...I sent flowers...
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default wow

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    The funeral was in 1996...I didn't see it coming either....don't worry...I sent flowers...
    You were seven years old, poor kid!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saywin View Post
    I set around and watch the VH1 Rock honors and honor the great groupes of the past, watch the radio stations play mostly Rap, Country, Classic Rock and there is one new rock station in the Dallas/Fort Worth market . It seems as though rock is fading. Is it just me or is the Rock dying? I don't see many exciting new bands out doing what they did in the past. I hate it and would like to see a strong return, does anyone else feel this way? Or is it just me shutting out the new stuff?

Your thoughts!

I know where you're coming from. It does seem like rock is fading, but there are a few good new bands out there. Have you heard 5 Seconds To Mars (Jared Leto)? They're pretty good, but none of the new bands have the same feeling that the classic bands do IMO. I don't know what the kids listen to where you live, but around here, my 13 & 14 yr old nephews & their friends all listen to classic rock like VH, Led Zepplin, Kiss, Metallica, AC/DC, Black Label Society, etc. My nephews & their friends say most of the new stuff sucks. Smart group of kids.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.15.17 @ 01:15 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

You can thank the suits in the recording industry for this . If its not Rap or Country they will not support it . most rock bands don't get the support from the labels to even make second record or even have a rock radio station to play the songs .

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    You can thank the suits in the recording industry for this . If its not Rap or Country they will not support it .

Yes, you can. Personally, I don't get rap at all & country bums me out or pisses me off.

Btw-How far are you from Knoxville? Can you pick up WIMZ on the radio?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    Yes, you can. Personally, I don't get rap at all & country bums me out or pisses me off.

Btw-How far are you from Knoxville? Can you pick up WIMZ on the radio?
    I'm about one hour from Knoxville , Oh yeah I listen to WIMZ alot . GO VOLS

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know, the world's a different place.

Not only does the world no longer seem to generate cool kids any more the technology, the way we listen to and experience new music has changed dramatically.

Rock evolved with the Baby-Boomer generation, this coincided with the Automotive boom and then the transistor Radio, that allowed EVERYBODY to have a radio in their car. Big cities bristled with dozens of radio stations that all competed for that youth market. There were only three or four channels on the television until the mid-1960s, so everyone watched shows like "Your Show of Shows" and Ed Sullivan, so everyone was exposed to Elvis and the Beatles on the same night. It was a communal experience and it links young people together. The FM radio came on the scene and they played longer cuts from the actual album and that exposed people to even better music than what was offered on AM Pop stations.

Today, with the Internet and i-Pods, music has become more of an individual experience. In 1965, you knew what everyone else your age was listening to at 7:00pm on Saturday, this was whatever the "Cool" radio station was playing. Today, when you get on the subway you've got 300 people listening to 300 different things. With i-Tunes, you can download a single song. In the past, while you could buy a 45 or 78, most of us bought the entire album and this had two bennifits: You got to know the artist or band more fully and you could tell how talented they were. Imagine what you would have missed in 1979 if you only downloaded "Dance the Night Away" or "Jamie's Cryin'" in 1978.

Also, today you've got satellite radio and a zillion cable and satellite tv channels, while this is great for everyone individually it means that there are fewer communal situations that people can share in. American Idol makes me sick personally, but each week you've got 20 million people of all ages watching it. So guess what people talk about on Thursday? American Idol. AI winners are guaranteed a platinum album simply because a bunch of people invested 16 weeks of their life to watch the winner take the stage. Sure, it's kind of sad, but it's about as close as kids today can get to that night when the Beatles played Ed Sullivan.

Then you've got the problem with today's 20-somethings. They're jaded. It's not that they're lazy it's just that they either don't really care about anything but themselves or they expect things to happen and when they don't the kids quit. Why write a song when you can just sample one? They say they want to set themselves apart from the past, which means they play so-so music, but then they get off the stage and act like every rock star since the Rolling Stones. When you call them on it, they get all huffy on you and say that they're rock stars so they GET to act like that.

You can forget about guitar solos all together.

Even John Mayer, who's a gifted guitarist, can't be bothered with a guitar solo. He says that's because "It's been done". No wonder 15 year olds buy Van Halen and Pink Floyd CDs instead of current top acts.

Then you've got the lipsync issue. Say what you want about Michael Jackson or even the Osmonds, those guys actually sang. We all remember Ashley Simpson's Ho-Down moment on SNL, the thing that blew me away was that it was so common to pop-acts that Joe Simpson didn't even think twice about doing it and they never apologized for it. They don't have to because it's so wide-spread that even supposedly serious acts "Enhance" their vocals.

Rock has become predicatble, there's no spontinaity. Rock used to be fun and it used to be about having fun. Today it's just too controled and predictable.

I'm glad I was born when I was.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post

Not only does the world no longer seem to generate cool kids any more the technology, the way we listen to and experience new music has changed dramatically.

Rock evolved with the Baby-Boomer generation, this coincided with the Automotive boom and then the transistor Radio, that allowed EVERYBODY to have a radio in their car. Big cities bristled with dozens of radio stations that all competed for that youth market. There were only three or four channels on the television until the mid-1960s, so everyone watched shows like "Your Show of Shows" and Ed Sullivan, so everyone was exposed to Elvis and the Beatles on the same night. It was a communal experience and it links young people together. The FM radio came on the scene and they played longer cuts from the actual album and that exposed people to even better music than what was offered on AM Pop stations.

Today, with the Internet and i-Pods, music has become more of an individual experience. In 1965, you knew what everyone else your age was listening to at 7:00pm on Saturday, this was whatever the "Cool" radio station was playing. Today, when you get on the subway you've got 300 people listening to 300 different things. With i-Tunes, you can download a single song. In the past, while you could buy a 45 or 78, most of us bought the entire album and this had two bennifits: You got to know the artist or band more fully and you could tell how talented they were. Imagine what you would have missed in 1979 if you only downloaded "Dance the Night Away" or "Jamie's Cryin'" in 1978.

Also, today you've got satellite radio and a zillion cable and satellite tv channels, while this is great for everyone individually it means that there are fewer communal situations that people can share in. American Idol makes me sick personally, but each week you've got 20 million people of all ages watching it. So guess what people talk about on Thursday? American Idol. AI winners are guaranteed a platinum album simply because a bunch of people invested 16 weeks of their life to watch the winner take the stage. Sure, it's kind of sad, but it's about as close as kids today can get to that night when the Beatles played Ed Sullivan.

Then you've got the problem with today's 20-somethings. They're jaded. It's not that they're lazy it's just that they either don't really care about anything but themselves or they expect things to happen and when they don't the kids quit. Why write a song when you can just sample one? They say they want to set themselves apart from the past, which means they play so-so music, but then they get off the stage and act like every rock star since the Rolling Stones. When you call them on it, they get all huffy on you and say that they're rock stars so they GET to act like that.

Even John Mayer, who's a gifted guitarist, can't be bothered with a guitar solo. He says that's because "It's been done". No wonder 15 year olds buy Van Halen and Pink Floyd CDs instead of current top acts.

Then you've got the lipsync issue. Say what you want about Michael Jackson or even the Osmonds, those guys actually sang. We all remember Ashley Simpson's Ho-Down moment on SNL, the thing that blew me away was that it was so common to pop-acts that Joe Simpson didn't even think twice about doing it and they never apologized for it. They don't have to because it's so wide-spread that even supposedly serious acts "Enhance" their vocals.

Rock has become predicatble, there's no spontinaity. Rock used to be fun and it used to be about having fun. Today it's just too controled and predictable.

Well put , interesting part you brought up about predictable . we went and saw Three Doors Down last year and although a good band it seemed like they were just going thru the motions and it carried over to the crowd , Boring . btw just was out thru Bay area last week and cruised down thru Carmel ,Pebble Beach beautiful coastline .

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I think you've pretty much summed it up for all of us. I'm glad I was born when I was too. It was so exciting when a classic band would come out with a new album & tour. Kids today don't get to experience that kind of excitement, it's a shame that they don't.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

This topic is better suited to Music Only. So I will move it there.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought 3DD had a lot of promise, but when their slow songs got popular, that's all they want to do. boring !!
    AlterBridge was great live, they might carry the torch.
    Chris Daughtry's cd is pretty good.
    Everything all sounds the same.
    There's just not much out there that can excite an old rocker like me

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default You Go!

Well Said Axx I couldn't have said it better myself, The music industry is all over the place now and it sucks for all of us!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

The lifespan of rock music is something I'd been thinking about recently. I mean, the people that grew up in the '30s and '40s and were big Sinatra fans and that type of music, they probably listened to Frank right up until the day they died (or still do if they're not dead yet). Do you think we'll still be listening to our rock 'n roll when we're in our '80s and beyond? Driving around on our scooters with our iPods cranking out "Panama" or "Unchained"? What about 150 years from now, will people still care about Eddie & Jimi & the other hotshot guitarists and trying to play their compositions the way people still try to play Beethoven & Bach now? Can rock 'n roll live forever, or is it a dying genre, right before our eyes? When the next new format comes, will they even bother printing Fair Warning and II for the music buyers of that era?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Oh yeah

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    The lifespan of rock music is something I'd been thinking about recently. I mean, the people that grew up in the '30s and '40s and were big Sinatra fans and that type of music, they probably listened to Frank right up until the day they died (or still do if they're not dead yet). Do you think we'll still be listening to our rock 'n roll when we're in our '80s and beyond? Driving around on our scooters with our iPods cranking out "Panama" or "Unchained"? What about 150 years from now, will people still care about Eddie & Jimi & the other hotshot guitarists and trying to play their compositions the way people still try to play Beethoven & Bach now? Can rock 'n roll live forever, or is it a dying genre, right before our eyes? When the next new format comes, will they even bother printing Fair Warning and II for the music buyers of that era?
    There will be fans of our music for a long time to come, I can promise you that. Hell, I play in a 1800's Marine band, don't care for the music that much but there are alot of the members that do. I also play alot of Bluegrass, you wouldn't believe the following with that type of music. I also played jazz in College and there were alot of Jazz fans also. I just can't believe Rock is fading so badly, it seemed pretty strong in the late 90's just these last 7 or 8 years seem to be very slow. I always thought Fox, ABC, CBS or NBC should have started a Rock Idol like AI and had the judges be like Ozzy, Sammy, Vince Neil, DLR, EVH, Gene Simmons or Lita Ford and that may blow it back up. I don't know if it will ever be the same, it sure is sad! Oh well, I guess that's the music buis for ya!