Favorite VH Album

DLR era
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.29.13 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default EVH Sound (Brown Sound)

hi, im building a white/black stripe frankie im using a alder squire body with maple Neck/Fretboard, fender tremolo, schaller locking tuners, and im wondering what pickup i should get to get that early year evh sound. ive heard alot about people useing the Seymour duncan Custom Cusom sh-11 or the DiMarzio Evolution. im just running it through a 15watt Peavey Amp with Reverb i have a Boss Flange and Distortion and soon a MXR phase 90 just to play around in the house and i want to get as close as possible so any tips would be helpful...

Thanks

ROCK ON

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, Balance, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Beats Workin'
    Last Online

04.19.12 @ 02:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tapster1984 View Post
    hi, im building a white/black stripe frankie im using a alder squire body with maple Neck/Fretboard, fender tremolo, schaller locking tuners, and im wondering what pickup i should get to get that early year evh sound. ive heard alot about people useing the Seymour duncan Custom Cusom sh-11 or the DiMarzio Evolution. im just running it through a 15watt Peavey Amp with Reverb i have a Boss Flange and Distortion and soon a MXR phase 90 just to play around in the house and i want to get as close as possible so any tips would be helpful...

Thanks

ROCK ON
    SD has a '78 model you might look at, supposed to nail the sound pretty dead on. You may want to consider upgrading your amp as well...... I am sure there are lots of posts on this board regarding this as well, try searching, there is much good information here.....
    Last edited by STC5150; 05.18.07 at 01:17 AM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Remember that the EVH sound was/is more than just a pickup... wood types, bridge, fingers, feel, heart, and soul...

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Remember that the EVH sound was/is more than just a pickup... wood types, bridge, fingers, feel, heart, and soul...
    I agree. His tone is really as much a factor of his technique and phrasing as it is the equipment he uses.

FWIW, I've got a couple of Warmoth Strats with Custom Custom pickups in them and they do have an early VH type tone with the right amp.

I've posted this here before, but I'll do it again just for shits and giggles. I recorded this thing at home (did all the parts myself). The guitar was an alder bodied Warmoth Strat with a Floyd Rose and a SD Custom Custom, tuned down 1/2 step, running straight into a Peavey Classic 30 mic'd with an SM57. I added reverb and a touch of phaser using plugins in my recording software (Cubase SX). It's not a dead on 'Brown Sound', but I think it certainly gets the point across well enough.

Somebody Get Me A Doctor

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tapster1984 View Post
    im just running it through a 15watt Peavey Amp
    ^theres your problem right there. there is NO 15watt solidstate practice amp that will get you anywhere close to EVH's tone. Upgrade your amp, that will help tremendously. And again, as everyone else has already said, alot of Eddies tone was in the way he played.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.09.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

... brass nut, picks, strings, tuning, pedals in the chain, 6CA7 power tubes, greenbacks...

the list goes on and on...
    'If it sounds good, it is good.'

EVH

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+100000000!

Mostly fingers, feel, heart and soul ...
    Even if you were to ever have the opportunity to play Ed's guitar through his rig, you'd still sound like YOU.

Of course equipment manufactures would like you to think differently.

IMO, the only way anyone would ever sound close to EVH is to practice.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Ed never played on the III album tho.....It was all Mike...

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Hands, Guitars, amps and all the in between stuff makes the tone, but I think
    most of what you characterize as his sound came from his amp.

In other words, I think you'd get a lot closer with a 1967 Plexi with a variac at 89 volts and any arbitrary electric guitar than with a clone of his guitar and a 15 watt Peavey.

I realize you said bedroom player, too. You might check into an older modeling amp that can replicate that type of sound. Probably inexpensive on eBay, I'd think.

Good luck!
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I've rarely been able to achieve an EVH sound. I play a Gibson Les Paul through a G120CXL Crate with distortion, chorus, reverb, and flange. I use my 20watt Peavey as a speaker (at high volume and thick high-end equalization) and that is where I get my best sound.

When I have achieved an EVH sound, it is after playing for a couple hours. I get into a zone that is almost like a trance and everything I play just kind of flows easily and smoothly (almost like I'm not even trying). Unfortunately, I never have the time anymore to play for those long durations.

Favorite VH Album

DLR era
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.29.13 @ 01:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok now with all that being said, what do you think i should get for a pickup?
    for a alder body strat...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Anything modeled after a PAF. I have a Seymour Duncan 59 in my ash Tele, and it sounds out hints of Ed when played through a 5150.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Who is the douchebag that told you an Evolution can nail the EVH tone? That's the absolute WRONG pickup for any "Brown" sound. I should know.....I own one in a hardtail Charvel. That's as "warm" as the Evolution can get, and it's still not "Brown".

There have been many iterations of the "Brown Sound", but in the end, the one SINGLE characteristic of ALL of Eddie's tones, is that they ALL lack a harsh, overly-abundant upper-mid spike. Think: Early Metallica

He's played with lots of bass. He's played with hardly any lower-bass. He's played with lots of lower-mids. He's played with minimal mids. He's played with lots of "clean" treble. He's played with hardly any treble. But he's never, EVER had an upper mid-range "snarl", the type you hear on Metallica's "Seek and Destroy", for instance. Yes, I love that tune too, but it's not brown. Or maybe Twisted Sister's "I Wanna Rock". Funny tune.....great memories.....but that's not brown.

The hardest thing for newer VH players to understand....and I welcome them ALL.....is that when Ed's tone is trebly or "snappy", it's mostly due to aggressive right hand picking. By that, I don't mean stiffening your right elbow and muscling the pick over the strings violently. It's an efficient, snappy style that he's had seemingly forever. It almost looks effortless when you watch him.

Look at when he "hummingbird picks" (as he once told a Japanese magazine) the single string speed-picked portion of Eruption. It's snappy as hell, but his arm isn't even moving.

Not trying to sound like a "know-it-all", by the way. I've learned through trial and error. I'm left handed, so while picking up the guitar was very, very easy for me, it's been a struggle the last 10 years to master the nuances of the instrument. As straight-forward a player as Eddie can be, he still gets many, many varied tones out of a one-pickup guitar with one volume knob, and a non master-volume Marshall. It's disgusting.

As Joe Satriani once said about Edward, "best right-hand in the business, and tone for days".

That's about all I have to add to this thread. Time to crack another Miller Lite.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I can get most any sound with evo's thats why I love them.
    they have great volume rolloff and with coil taps and 3 pickups, I get through an entire gig with just a clean and distorted channel, little effect changes.

but that being said, my real point is, I think you should put VERY little into what pickup to get an "ed" sound and more, what do I want the pickup to do for me.

Ed could play most any guitar thru any amp and make it sound like Ed just by adjusting the tones and gain.
    I personally think buying a pickup to get Ed's sound is the worst reason to buy a pickup. Get one that makes sense with your setup and your playing.
    That doesnt really answer your question, as I only play basswoood guitars and am not sure what would sound best thru your guitar and your amp.

unfortunately, if your new to all this, you may have to try a few to find one you like.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

The biggest factor in the equation is the amplifier, agreed. That said: the Evolution isn't appropriate.