Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Dave Remasters

  1. #1
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.18.00
    Posts
    1,267
    Favorite VH Song

    Secrets
    Last Online

    11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Likes
    227
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

    Default Dave Remasters

    I just got the Sonrisa remaster. Anyone else pick any of these up?
    there's a cool photo of the recording session master with handwritten notes on it dated 8/8/86. which is kinda neat (reminds me of the Doors boxset a few years back). anyone the color of the CD booklet, etc is really dark. it almost looks like a bad color copy from Staples. I was curious how the others were.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

  2. #2
    Good Enough darthadv's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.27.04
    Location
    Queens, NYC
    Posts
    2,511
    Favorite VH Album

    I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

    01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    I just got the Sonrisa remaster. Anyone else pick any of these up?
    there's a cool photo of the recording session master with handwritten notes on it dated 8/8/86. which is kinda neat (reminds me of the Doors boxset a few years back). anyone the color of the CD booklet, etc is really dark. it almost looks like a bad color copy from Staples. I was curious how the others were.
    i only picked up sonrisa... booklet does look like a home copy... but i didn't have it on cd, and whenever it would show up on ebay, the price would shoot up to well above $20, which was too pricey for me for what i viewed as a gimmick album...

    i didn't pick up the others as i have the originals...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

  3. #3
    Eruption
    Join Date
    06.08.04
    Age
    30
    Location
    Findlay, Ohio
    Posts
    1,436
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    I picked up all three. They really didn't sound that much different than the originals, IMO.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,812
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:32 PM
    Likes
    3,494
    Liked 18,050 Times in 8,921 Posts

    Default

    I am as big a fan of DLR as anybody, and even I didn't see the need to re-master ALAE and YFLM. They sound fine to me. However, Skyscraper could really use a freshening up, might even make it listenable.

    I just can't see the demand being too high for a YFLM re-mastering!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  5. #5
    Master Bluesman Elwood P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.02
    Location
    1060 W. Addison, Chicago
    Posts
    6,038
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 11:38 AM
    Likes
    1,753
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rockygotfingered View Post
    I picked up all three. They really didn't sound that much different than the originals, IMO.

    Any unreleased stuff on those? Or is it just the original tunes?
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

    "Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

    Rawhide in "A"

    OAA

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    Any unreleased stuff on those? Or is it just the original tunes?
    Nah, no bonus tracks. Of the 3, the only interesting one is the Spanish version of EEAS. And to tell the truth, sonically they do not sound much better than the initial release.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  7. #7
    Master Bluesman Elwood P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.02
    Location
    1060 W. Addison, Chicago
    Posts
    6,038
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 11:38 AM
    Likes
    1,753
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Thanks. Looks like I won't be running any stoplights to pick those up. I acquired Sonrisa on CD from a trader a couple of years back so I guess I'm in good shape.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

    "Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

    Rawhide in "A"

    OAA

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk FORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.00
    Age
    51
    Location
    The Mighty Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,807
    Favorite VH Album

    All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I am as big a fan of DLR as anybody, and even I didn't see the need to re-master ALAE and YFLM. They sound fine to me. However, Skyscraper could really use a freshening up, might even make it listenable.

    I just can't see the demand being too high for a YFLM re-mastering!
    Skyscraper doesn't need remastering, it needs "demastering". Billy Sheehan has mentioned that he has a copy of the original master tapes before it was overproduced and buried in keyboards. Too bad he doesn't leak that tape to a torrent site like www.jamtothis.com

    Sometimes the best version of an album is NOT the one that's released. Disc One of the Rolling Stones "Voodoo Brew" bootleg vs the official "Voodoo Lounge" is another great example of this.
    Eat Us And Smile

    Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

    ...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

    "What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    ...Sometimes the best version of an album is NOT the one that's released. Disc One of the Rolling Stones "Voodoo Brew" bootleg vs the official "Voodoo Lounge" is another great example of this.
    True. Neil Young's original version of "Tonight's The Night" sat on the shelf for two years, only to be watered down and diminished upon it's final release. The producer (David Briggs) never forgave him.

    Then again, the original "Get Back" album put together by Gly Johns was a complete disaster, comprised of sloppy, inferior run throughs rather than finished songs. Considering what he was given, Phil Spector did a fair job salvaging the mess, despite what Paul MacCartney's ego might say.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk FORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.00
    Age
    51
    Location
    The Mighty Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    7,807
    Favorite VH Album

    All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    True. Neil Young's original version of "Tonight's The Night" sat on the shelf for two years, only to be watered down and diminished upon it's final release. The producer (David Briggs) never forgave him.

    Then again, the original "Get Back" album put together by Gly Johns was a complete disaster, comprised of sloppy, inferior run throughs rather than finished songs. Considering what he was given, Phil Spector did a fair job salvaging the mess, despite what Paul MacCartney's ego might say.
    Can't agree with that one. Granted, there was a lot of chaotic mess to the Get Back sessions (and I've pretty much heard ALL of it - some 100 hours of material) but Spector went way overboard with the choirs and shit like that. Although the Spectorized album version of the song "Let it Be" remains the definitive version.
    Eat Us And Smile

    Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

    ...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

    "What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Remasters
    By dj88 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04.15.02, 11:19 PM
  2. Are the remasters that much better?
    By SactoFan in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02.15.01, 10:44 AM
  3. Remasters??
    By bcgvh in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10.09.00, 02:49 PM
  4. remasters...
    By nightprowler_01 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09.18.00, 10:52 AM
  5. Remasters
    By Unchained Wolfie in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08.04.00, 08:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •