Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Woman loses teaching degree over ’Drunken Pirate’ MySpace photo...

Woman who lost teaching degree over ’Drunken Pirate’ MySpace photo sues Pa. university

MILLERSVILLE, Pa. - A woman denied a teaching degree on the eve of graduation because of a MySpace photo has sued the university.

Millersville University instead granted Stacy Snyder a degree in English last year after learning of her Web-published picture, which bore the caption "Drunken Pirate."

"I dreamed about being a teacher for a long time," said Snyder, 27, who now works as a nanny.

The photo, taken at a 2005 Halloween party, shows Snyder wearing a pirate hat while drinking from a plastic "Mr. Goodbar" cup. It was posted on her own MySpace site.

Although Snyder apologized, she learned the day before graduation that she would not be awarded an education degree or teaching certificate.

Jane S. Bray, dean of the School of Education, accused Snyder of promoting underage drinking, the suit states.

The federal lawsuit seeks at least $75,000 in damages. Millersville spokeswoman Janet Kacskos referred questions to a state System of Higher Education spokesman, who declined comment.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

She must be bangin the deans hubby or something. Ya can't fire someone for that....

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Well hopefully they can patch this whole thing up soon. It seems kind of unfair that the school ayed this photo and would peg her as unfit to teach...

...ok, I'll stop. I'm sorry for that. It must be too much coffee this morning....
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Yet another example of this country goin' to shit due to political correctness...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    Well hopefully they can patch this whole thing up soon. It seems kind of unfair that the school ayed this photo and would peg her as unfit to teach...

...ok, I'll stop. I'm sorry for that. It must be too much coffee this morning....
    Time for you to walk the plank for that comment!!!!

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emm5150 View Post
    Time for you to walk the plank for that comment!!!!
    I was waiting for that one to come up!
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Jane S. Bray, dean of the School of Education, accused Snyder of promoting underage drinking, the suit states.

You mean because she was four years past the legal age to drink and she also happened to want to teach? I suppose she should also completely abstain from sex and driving a car, too, because children can't do those things and they might get the wrong idea.

Hey, a few years ago, someone in my college English class said she was hosting a kegger outside on her multi-acre property, but she said she wouldn't sell a cup to anyone underage. Then the teacher said, "Well, someone underage could bring their own cup and pay you for the food." Now THAT is promoting underage drinking.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

So, what is wrong with celebrating the night before graduation? I'd sue them for a hell of a lot more then $75,000
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

VHI, VHII, WACF, Fair Warning
    Last Online

09.04.08 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yet another example of this country goin' to shit due to political correctness...
    100% correct!
    And God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, “What ails you, Hagar? Genesis 21:17

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, I've heard of some crazy shit but this takes the cake.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

What none of you seem to get is that it's not about the drinking. It's about her judgement as an individual in posting the pictures. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to this than we know, too.

Anyone who isn't aware of the dangers in making their private life public has to be pretty naive. For the past couple of years it hasn't been at all unusual for employers to vet job candidates with searches like this. A school, and all of its students and alums, have a vested interest in the reputation of the graduates it produces. If they thought this gal would be harmful to not only the kids she would be teaching but their own program's reputation, then so be it.

It's not hard to make a Myspace profile page private.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    ...A school, and all of its students and alums, have a vested interest in the reputation of the graduates it produces. If they thought this gal would be harmful to not only the kids she would be teaching but their own program's reputation, then so be it.

It's not hard to make a Myspace profile page private.
    Well Mike, if she's done the work for the degree, yet the school denies it (or substitutes it with a different degree, in this case English) are they not guilty of taking money and not fullfilling their duty on that point? It would seem the reputation of the school is being damaged, all the same.

Did this woman sign some sort of "pledge" or behavior code she was supposed to follow? Unless rules or some form of written statement can be supplied by the school documenting this woman as being in default of such a policy, doesn't this make the school's decision seem totally arbitrary? What if proof can be established that this woman was singled out, or better yet that others have recieved their degrees while commiting similar acts?

I dunno...this whole thing sounds as if some form of court action will be following it, quite soon.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Everyone is missing the REAL message being sent here.

NEVER drink from a Mr. Goodbar cup.

But seriously......I personally hope she gets a few bucks from the school.

'Reputation' means shit. This mentality will hopefully 'die out' one day. A line of thinking that also says that just because somebody wears a suit and is 'clean cut', said person must be trustworthy, a professional, knowledgeable, a pillar of society. Please! It's been my experience that the biggest liars, thiefs, assholes in general, wear suits. Selling their 'reputation' to sell you something else. I can get a suit at Target for 100 bucks. Doesn't make me a fucking genius or a knowledgeable professional.

So, this girl had a few drinks and put pics on the internet. BFD! Did she kill somebody in a car (a la Stuntman Mike in Grindhouse)? No? Then so what?!?! Hell, she should have flashed her titties too (would have been nice, she looks cute).

Besides, MySpace is the ultimate ego strokefest. I could care less about any MySpace page. Chances are, nobody outside her drunk, hottie friends even knew about it or saw the pics. Why?!?! Because like 99% of the people in the world, she isn't as important as she thinks she is. A lame website on the internet doesn't make you special.

At least now, she has her 15 seconds of fame/shame.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Im suprised we have gotten this far in the thread without one person saying she deserved what she got.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Well Mike, if she's done the work for the degree, yet the school denies it (or substitutes it with a different degree, in this case English) are they not guilty of taking money and not fullfilling their duty on that point? It would seem the reputation of the school is being damaged, all the same.
    I'd imagine that the school has the right to grant or not grant a degree as they see fit. There's probably some language about discretion in their policies. I doubt this was done without quite a bit of deliberation and butt-covering.

Either way, the message it sends is the right one. Teaching is a profession with plenty of problems. Nobody wants to hire a new teacher who lacks judgment. If you were a parent, would you want your third grader being taught by a recent grad who enjoys telling the world that what is important to her is partying?

The reputation of the school among people here doesn't matter too much. If school administrators get the message that this particular university is careful about who it gives degrees to, grads from that program will have a slight advantage.

How many teacher sex cases has Voivod posted in the last year? Judgment is becoming an issue for young teachers.