Register

Thread: Smoking

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Default Smoking

I know this has probably been done before, but I was wondering if any ex smokers out there have any good tips that helped them.

Been smoking like a chimney for years and have started to develop a bad cough. I have to quit but mentally I can't seem to get my head around it.

Any thoughts or practices that helped?
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

I found it a little easier to quit when my Mom was diagnosed with emphysema. Seriously. I had tried to quit quite a few times before.

I had also just graduated from college and was looking to open new doors. I told myself I was going to lose some weight and quit smoking. I had just taken a job in a different state and wanted to start fresh.

That didn't make it any easier I joined a gym the day I quit. It worked! Haven't had a smoke since 1993. Well...except for a couple really drunk episodes, I think. I've been lucky never to have the urge to pick one up due to cravings. I think the social aspect of smoking is stronger than the chemical dependency sometimes. I know some people will argue with that last point, but that's my opinion. You know, sitting on the back deck with friends and some beers...sitting in the bar...finishing a good steak dinner...finishing a good blonde...driving on a long road trip...damn!
    Try to modify your social surroundings the first few weeks. That was definitely the toughest time. Let your friends and family know what you are doing. They will be able to help you better if they know you are quitting. They will also, hopefully, forgive your actions...you may act a little asshole-ish at times. I know I did!

Anyway, good luck. Keep us posted.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.01.15 @ 11:03 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I joined a gym as well and it really helped. I worked out in the evenings on purpose as this is when I smoked the most. Smoke free for 6 years now. I do however smoke 2 or 3 cigars a month.................you don't inhale cigars

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    I know this has probably been done before, but I was wondering if any ex smokers out there have any good tips that helped them.

Been smoking like a chimney for years and have started to develop a bad cough. I have to quit but mentally I can't seem to get my head around it.

I have been taking Chantix for about 3 months now. I still haven't quit but, I am down to about 5 cigs a day (From 2-2 1/2 packs a day). I, like you, had a nasty hack. Duh! Smokes here are about $4.50 a pack. I was averaging about $300 dollars a month. Chantix is a $100.00 a mo. and a pack now lasts at least 2 days. Cut my cost in half. Some days I won't smoke at all. However, on those drunkfests I may smoke a pack. Although, before I might go through 4 packs under those conditions.By the way.The cough is pretty much gone. Good luck.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I smoked for about seven years. I quit once or twice during that time, but always went back to it after just a short time. In late 2004 I just decided that I didn't want to be a smoker anymore, and quit.

For me, it really was that simple. I just stopped. I didn't have any physical discomfort, but I sure did want a smoke. I still do. For me, smoking was more of a set of habits than just an activity. I simply stopped doing the things I associated with smoking. Not easy, but not hard, either.

Now I smoke sporadically. I had a few in April, but before that none since December. I let myself smoke in two situations now. When I'm with certain friends who smoke I'll bum one off of them. When I go camping, I'll take a few packs and smoke like a chimney. That'll be four days a month this summer, and I'll absolutely love it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I quit smoking about 10 years ago. Had smoked for 7-8 years, prior to quitting. The habit went away as I changed my usual environments. I had graduated and left college (where I smoked and drank constantly). I stopped my frequent hanging out at bars (still went occasionally) and stopped playing pool (I always had to have a cigarette in my mouth while playing pool). Once I stopped hanging out at the places and doing the things that I associated with smoking, there was much less of a desire to continue.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

I've heard hypnosis can be effective.-either with a hynotist or a cd. I borrowed a cd from a friend, listened a few times (20 minutes each), and haven't smoked or had the urge since December. I was not a heavy smoker though, so maybe it doesn't work for those types. It can't hurt to try.
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InTheBeginning View Post
    I think the social aspect of smoking is stronger than the chemical dependency sometimes. I know some people will argue with that last point, but that's my opinion.
    Actually, you're right on the money. Nicotine withdrawal is not that severe at all. If it were, people wouldn't be able to sleep throught the night without waking up for a cigarette. It's the mental aspect of quitting that's the most difficult part.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

05.12.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post

I smoked for 21,22 years before I finally quit in 04?

Its been just over 3 years now,not a single cig

My deal was gum,I had to be chewing gum ALL the time,

At first it was the nic gum,I overdid that for about 6 months before I switched to reg gum

Now I have to kick the habit of eating too much,as I put on about 30 pounds since quitting

oh yeah theres also the Gange,I do smoke that,but only about 6 hits a day

The main thing I think is just to keep quitting,quit every day,every hour,every minute

It took me about 15 tries to get it right

Hope you do it bro,good luck and God bless

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Default Stand Back!

I agree that modifying your lifestyle helps. If there are certain activities that you usually do while smoking, you might want to not do them for a few days. I used to smoke while I practiced guitar because I wanted to look cool like a certain famous guitarist you might have heard of. It took a while to break that habit.

Boy! This message board is a regular self-improvement club, isn't it? We've got recovering alcoholics, ex-smokers, family members with drug problems... I think it's cool that people help each other out so much here.

My main problem is this: My penis is so large that after a woman has sex with me, she's never satisfied with any other man. I get phone calls day and night from women begging me for sex. I probably have sex with beautiful women four or five times a day. It's starting to interfere with my job as a Playboy photographer. Oh well, I guess we all have our problems in life to deal with...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

My main problem is this: My penis is so large that after a woman has sex with me, she's never satisfied with any other man. I get phone calls day and night from women begging me for sex. I probably have sex with beautiful women four or five times a day. It's starting to interfere with my job as a Playboy photographer. Oh well, I guess we all have our problems in life to deal with...

Tell me about it!
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    Oh man, what a relief. I thought I was the only one with this horrible, horrible, problem. It feels good to finally talk about this. For years I just kept quiet and let the girls ride me, but this is awesome to have someone who finally understands what I'm going through.
    And then after I'm taken advantage of by these beautiful women I feel the need to have a smoke (felt obligated to stay on topic).
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I have absolutely no problems at all with women smoking me.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Damn...you guys make me wanna smoke...I think I'll go have one...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06