Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Bryan Ferry apologizes for Nazi remarks

LONDON (Reuters) - British singer Bryan Ferry apologized on Monday for remarks he made in an interview with a German newspaper in which he praised Nazi iconography as "just amazing" and "really beautiful."

The 61-year-old lead singer of Roxy Music told Germany's Welt Am Sonntag newspaper last month: "The way that the Nazis staged themselves and presented themselves, my Lord!"

"I'm talking about the films of Leni Riefenstahl and the buildings of Albert Speer and the mass marches and the flags -- just fantastic. Really beautiful."

In a statement, Ferry said he was "deeply upset" about the negative publicity the interview triggered, and added:

"I apologize unreservedly for any offence caused by my comments on Nazi iconography, which were solely made from an art history perspective.

"I, like every right-minded individual, find the Nazi regime, and all it stood for, evil and abhorrent."

Jewish leaders in Britain, some of whom had condemned Ferry's comments and questioned whether he should be dropped by the Marks & Spencer retail chain that employs him as a model, welcomed Ferry's clarification.

"We do welcome the fact that he has issued a swift comment that there was no intention to condone the Nazi regime," said Jeremy Newmark, chief executive of the Jewish Leadership Council.

"Nevertheless, his choice of language was deeply insensitive," he added.

Lord Greville Janner, vice-president of the World Jewish Congress, told Reuters: "His apology was total, appropriate and absolutely necessary. I hope that he will never make the same mistake again."

Marks & Spencer sought to distance itself from the row.

"We do not make comment on the private lives of any individuals that we work with nor does our commercial relationship with them mean we endorse any views they may hold," the group said in a statement. It had no further comment.

Riefenstahl was Adolf Hitler's official film maker who was both admired and condemned for her documentaries that pioneered film techniques but glorified Nazism.

Speer was an architect who served under Hitler.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

On Fire
    Last Online

10.06.17 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

What great Albert Speer buildings? One of the most unremarkable and overstated architects of all time if you ask me. He knew how to throw a rally but hardly an architect with great achievements.
    Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.03.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's the old, "Hitler was a vegetarian, so vegetarianism is bad" fallacy. No one is allowed to say that anything about Germany during this time period had any value, which is a shame. We do the same here in the US with the antebellum south to an extent.

The Nazis had some of the best looking uniforms ever. Oh no! Now I logically must go kill Jews. Pathetic.
    Go Bills and Sabres!

We're NOT Lawyers! www.werenotlawyers.com

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Nazis had the best uniforms and were the best bad guys ever. Or do you think Spielberg could have made "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" without them?

And no, I will not apologise to the World Jewish Congress for thinking so. Simply appreciating something like a uniform or a building is by no means an endorsement of the policies of those who wear or occupy them.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

More of the same old shit. Everyone's a victim. Cry me a fucking river. I think these old sayings could go on for awhile...... Nah! They'll probably be banned by the time I am finished typing this.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Where's these two???

OH YEAH... They're still stirring up shit about Imus...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Where's these two???

OH YEAH... They're still stirring up shit about Imus...
    ........or........gathering up their jackboots and heading for Hymie town.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Where's...
    After the "Hymie town" statement, Jackson tends to keep a low profile in semitic matters.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

ou812, VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Light up the Sky
    Last Online

07.11.07 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wanna know where they are when Louis farrakhan goes on his rants about the white race.
    Rice Burner

1.The ability to "trick out" your moms civic with high end parts from the automotive section in your local SUPERwal-mart. (watch out for those falling prices!)

2.Any low end "import" with a foldgers coffee can for a muffler...(the best part of waking up...is foldgers in your cup!)

3.Usually your average 4 cylinder, front wheel drive car with a park bench for a "spoiler"

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG5150 View Post
    I wanna know where they are when Louis farrakhan goes on his rants about the white race.
    Don't go there little fella.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG5150 View Post
    That would be black on black criticism.

Say what you will about his methodology, yet at least Farrakhan incites black youth to hold some semblance of pride, dignity and respect for themselves, rather than blaming the failings of their lives on white guys who in no way have any effect on them.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    That would be black on black criticism.

Say what you will about his methodology, yet at least Farrakhan incites black youth to hold some semblance of pride, dignity and respect for themselves, rather than blaming the failings of their lives on white guys who in no way have any effect on them.

It's pretty funny, but you know the world has turned upside down when Farrakhan comes out of any situation looking sane and reasonable...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JCJanko View Post
    It's the old, "Hitler was a vegetarian, so vegetarianism is bad" fallacy. No one is allowed to say that anything about Germany during this time period had any value, which is a shame. We do the same here in the US with the antebellum south to an extent.

The Nazis had some of the best looking uniforms ever. Oh no! Now I logically must go kill Jews. Pathetic.
    I'm with you on this...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Nazis had the best uniforms and were the best bad guys ever. Or do you think Spielberg could have made "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" without them?

And no, I will not apologise to the World Jewish Congress for thinking so. Simply appreciating something like a uniform or a building is by no means an endorsement of the policies of those who wear or occupy them.
    Thanks I really appreciate that... Especially when I have family who lived through the holocaust and its uniforms are the symbol of the destruction of Jewish Europe. Spielberg didn't choose them because the uniforms were "pretty" but rather for what they represented I am almost certain of. It is like me saying you know what I really appreciate the work that Cho guy did in his writings and plays, but I certainly do not endorse his actions of murdering 33 college students at VT.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
    Thanks I really appreciate that... Especially when I have family who lived through the holocaust and its uniforms are the symbol of the destruction of Jewish Europe. Spielberg didn't choose them because the uniforms were "pretty" but rather for what they represented I am almost certain of. It is like me saying you know what I really appreciate the work that Cho guy did in his writings and plays, but I certainly do not endorse his actions of murdering 33 college students at VT.
    Yes, you have an emotional as well as biological link to the issues and actions of Germany leading up to and during WWII. Quite frankly, I'm not about to get into a semantics discussion or start splitting hairs about a man's thoughts and his actions, no matter how reprehensible those actions are/were with someone that has such a bond.

I have absolutely zero firsthand knowledge of the horrors that occurred in that period of time, only what my father and my uncle have related to me and what has been learned (by most) through books, television, ect. As such, the distance provided by that abscence of accountabilty offers me a freedom from conscience that you will never experience.

I'm not being cavalier in this. I'm pointing out that my appreciation of a cut of clothing or building design has absolutely nothing to do with you. If you must take such statements as a personal slap in the face, remember that was not the intention in the first place.

And yes, it is indeed possible to admire one's writings or other works, even when the character of the artist comes into question, or moreso is downright subhuman.

As I said, one must distance one's self to find any objectivity in this, an option that life has not given you. I mean no malice toward you in the least in this. I apologise only in regarding what emotional toll my thoughts on the subject have given you, not for having held them in the first place.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 04.18.07 at 10:34 AM.
    George Bernard Shaw