Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Banned! againstthewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.16.05
    Location
    Fishing is therapy, I'm in therapy!!
    Posts
    962
    Last Online

    05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default Any input will help.

    Alright boys, I just bought an archtop Wolfgang so now my project is going to be taking my special, and painting it Frankie colors. Home, Sacto, I know this probably belongs in the replica thread, but please let be for a few days as I think it will get more attention and a few more responses here.

    Okay, breaking the guitar down is obviously no problem, (or is it?? Pitfalls??)but what is the best method of stripping the old paint off? Anything that will make this less painless will help.

    A template at that point I'm assuming?? Where my stripes should go, and what kind of paint?? Can this really be acomplished with Krylon?

    Suggestions on re-assembly (pitfalls to look out for) would be greatly appreciated also....yes it has a Floyd.

  2. #2
    Baluchitherium Mikey Metalhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.25.00
    Age
    53
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    4,033
    Last Online

    06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I have only done clean wood projjects.... but I am guessing to do it right... an electric sander... get it all off.

    but on that note and why I replied... wear a mask, that shit that comes off is toxic.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

  3. #3
    Banned! againstthewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.16.05
    Location
    Fishing is therapy, I'm in therapy!!
    Posts
    962
    Last Online

    05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    I have only done clean wood projjects.... but I am guessing to do it right... an electric sander... get it all off.

    but on that note and why I replied... wear a mask, that shit that comes off is toxic.
    Ouch, that sounds painfull, and possibly harmful to the countour (sanding) of the guitar? Anyone recommend any paint stripping products that would help?? I know we had some around work a few years ago that I might be able to get my hands on again, that stuff was really toxic. Any other tips?

  4. #4
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by againstthewind View Post
    Ouch, that sounds painfull, and possibly harmful to the countour (sanding) of the guitar? Anyone recommend any paint stripping products that would help?? I know we had some around work a few years ago that I might be able to get my hands on again, that stuff was really toxic. Any other tips?
    I stripped the paint off an ivory Wolfgang Special a couple of months ago. It was one of the bigger pain-in-the-ass things I've ever done. I first tried paint stripper. Then, when it didn't really do much, I talked to my tech at the music store the next day, and he informed me that regular paint stripper doesn't really work on the newer poly-based clear coats and that I would just need to sand. So I got out my Black & Decker mouse and went to work. Collectively it took around seven hours and was VERY messy. Also, you need to be really careful around edges so as to not inadvertently re-shape your guitar.

    If you want to take the time, go for it. I ended up routing the top edge of the body and adding a cream binding as well (another thing that was a lot of work but will be SUPER COOL when completed). The Stew Mac website can be really helpful when it comes to understanding what you need for a job and how to do it: http://www.stewmac.com/

    Good luck! Post pics when it's done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00901.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	344   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Binding_Route_01.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Binding.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	346  

  5. #5
    Baluchitherium Mikey Metalhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.25.00
    Age
    53
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    4,033
    Last Online

    06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by againstthewind View Post
    Ouch, that sounds painfull, and possibly harmful to the countour (sanding) of the guitar? Anyone recommend any paint stripping products that would help?? I know we had some around work a few years ago that I might be able to get my hands on again, that stuff was really toxic. Any other tips?
    keep in mind, I do not use guitars with "tops" or bindings. so for wolfgangs, maybe it wasnt great advice. I could take any of my guitars and sand it the wood with no issues.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

  6. #6
    Sinner's Swing! Rick S's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.29.99
    Location
    Wilmington ,Delaware
    Posts
    3,128
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    mean street
    Last Online

    06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    i remember rol saying the easiest way is to sand the gloss off the finish since its so thick. give it a really good scuffing up , then steel wool.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

    1love4chi

    Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

    Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

  7. #7
    Eruption bjk's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.18.05
    Posts
    744
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 03:32 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

    Default

    I striped an OLP MM1 a while back. I just sanded down the body to take the gloss off. Of course it was easy on a flat top. You could probably just hand sand it for the arch top. Stripping it down to the bare wood is probably unnecissary. The main thing is just scuffing up the gloss so the paint will stick. Maybe start with more abraisive sandpaper at first, then go to a lighter grit to smooth it out. Mine came out fine. I only did the top though. I taped around the binding. Just leave plenty of time between coats (a day or two). I learned that if you put another coat over a not completely dry coat, It will crack up have a "dried up lake" effect. I had to redo mine because I got in a hurry. It is pretty freakin' cool when you're done and peeling off each layer of tape and slowly unveiling "Frankie".

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I stripped the paint off an ivory Wolfgang Special a couple of months ago. It was one of the bigger pain-in-the-ass things I've ever done. I first tried paint stripper. Then, when it didn't really do much, I talked to my tech at the music store the next day, and he informed me that regular paint stripper doesn't really work on the newer poly-based clear coats and that I would just need to sand. So I got out my Black & Decker mouse and went to work. Collectively it took around seven hours and was VERY messy. Also, you need to be really careful around edges so as to not inadvertently re-shape your guitar.

    If you want to take the time, go for it. I ended up routing the top edge of the body and adding a cream binding as well (another thing that was a lot of work but will be SUPER COOL when completed). The Stew Mac website can be really helpful when it comes to understanding what you need for a job and how to do it: http://www.stewmac.com/

    Good luck! Post pics when it's done!
    How could you put a sander to one of those guitars..... ....I couldn't do it.......then again.....I don't have 25
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    How could you put a sander to one of those guitars..... ....I couldn't do it.......then again.....I don't have 25
    I did hestitate when first taking sandpaper to a perfectly good finish! The guitar was originally solid ivory, so it wasn't like it was a transparent flame top or anything. I already have a solid ivory Wolfgang Special, and the plan was to do all sorts of extra routing and drilling to install a Fernandes Sustainer. So I figured I would just have a go at doing a re-finish job. The binding was an afterthought that came while I was looking for supplies on StewMac. The guitar will be transparent dark green all around when done, and all the knob and switch covers, along with the tuner buttons, will be cream to match the binding.

  10. #10
    Top Of The World ncbuckeye3's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.09.04
    Posts
    139
    Last Online

    03.10.12 @ 09:20 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I have done a couple. Here are two things I found:

    1. With my Kramer 1984, I just sanded on the clearcoat and made it rough and painted over it and it worked fine. Paint stuck great, no probs at all. This was my second project after the details in #2 below.

    2. I got a MIM Strat body for a VH1 Franky project. I tried sanding and it took forever, liquid stripped didn't work either. I went to Lowe's and got a paint stripping heat gun. It worked like a charm.

    My advice, if you want it all off, don't buy any stripper, get a heat gun and a paint scraper. The heat gun will bubble the paint off and the scraper takes it off like butter, very easy. Have some sandpaper handy for the finishing touches.

  11. #11
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ncbuckeye3 View Post
    My advice, if you want it all off, don't buy any stripper, get a heat gun and a paint scraper. The heat gun will bubble the paint off and the scraper takes it off like butter, very easy. Have some sandpaper handy for the finishing touches.
    I've had luck with the heat method too. Much easier than sanding and you can even use a blowtorch, if you don't have a heat gun or don't want to buy one. Just make sure the area you're working in is well-ventilated - preferably outdoors. Also, only apply as much heat as you need to get the paint to bubble so that you can scrape it off. LESS IS MORE.

    Good luck.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

    “…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

    - Dewey Cox

  12. #12
    Baluchitherium Ted Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    All up in there
    Posts
    4,377
    Favorite VH Album

    Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

    How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 06:53 PM
    Likes
    2,294
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    I've had luck with the heat method too. Much easier than sanding and you can even use a blowtorch, if you don't have a heat gun or don't want to buy one. Just make sure the area you're working in is well-ventilated - preferably outdoors. Also, only apply as much heat as you need to get the paint to bubble so that you can scrape it off. LESS IS MORE.

    Good luck.
    I've used a heat gun to strip furniture, it's worth the purchase in that it's way more forgiving than a torch. But you have got to be in a well ventilated area. I'd even suggest having a fan blowing in the work area just to keep the air moving.
    -TVH-


    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine


    What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison


    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

  13. #13
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Actually, I just acquired a Squier '51 that I'm planning to refinish and trick-out. I just downloaded this book/PDF if anyone's interested:

    http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/

    Seems pretty useful. PM me with your email...
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

    “…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

    - Dewey Cox

  14. #14
    Top Of The World jonmcg93's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.03.04
    Location
    Roanoke, Va
    Posts
    163
    Last Online

    08.10.11 @ 06:33 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I pm'd you

  15. #15
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonmcg93 View Post
    I pm'd you
    Back at 'ya.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

    “…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

    - Dewey Cox

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Bootleg Project - Need input
    By Blount5150 in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02.01.05, 01:19 AM
  2. More Walkathon Ideas: HELP & Input Needed!
    By Sweet William in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01.20.03, 11:50 AM
  3. Input
    By Crmlcrm216 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10.03.02, 09:09 PM
  4. Need Input For College Class!! Help ,Please!!
    By Ravin' Rude in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06.18.02, 12:54 PM
  5. Dave's 5150 input...?
    By Bammo in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04.30.02, 04:23 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •