Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

06.23.07 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default ??? Windows Vista ???

Well, I get my new Dell tomorrow I think. Anyone have any input on what the new Windows is like? I have XP Home Edition and it's just fine. What's so new/great about Vista?

I have an HP Pavilion now that basically took a shit a long time ago. What are Dell's like?

Favorite VH Album

Alright, I admit - All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Almost all of them
    Last Online

03.01.12 @ 05:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Windows Vista is a piece of shit. A friend of mine works at Costco and 12 customers returned it two days after the release date because it wouldn't play games that should run in the new OS and it kept crashing on them. These ppl had Vista compatible systems! Wait a year or so before they get the kinks out. It's basically an upgraded version of Windows XP Pro with all new security and software flaws. The only difference is the way it looks and you can get it for 32 bit and 64 bit systems. Then Microsoft gouges the consumer with different versions of the same crap.

Go with Linux - hardly any spyware and viruses for any OS version - best of all the OS is free. You can buy an emulator to run a Windows environment for your games, etc. Just make sure you have the full version and not the OEM version of Windows and you'll be sailing fine.
    Homer: No one snuggles with Max Power. Just strap on and feel the Gs!

American Coast Guard: Back off Canadians we got them.
    Canadian Coast Guard: You back off hosers, they are in Canadian waters, eh.
    American Coast Guard: Beat it you puck smacking maple suckers!
    Canadian Coast Guard: Take a hike you Shatner stealing Mexico touchers!

Bart: Who the hell is this?
    Jack Bauer: I’m Jack Bauer, who the hell is this?
    Bart: Me, er… I’m Ahmed Adudi
    Jack: Chloe, get me all you can on Ahmed Adudi… Does anyone there know Ahmed Adudi?
    Chloe O’Brien: Ahmed Adudi; wealthy Saudi financier… Disappeared into Afghanistan in the late 90s…
    Jack: … Really?
    Chloe (ironically): No Jack it’s a joke name, you’re being set up.
    Jack: DAMMIT!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I have several friends with Vista and they are gaming with no issues, some games have to be run in "xp mode", but that is more the software not being ready for vista, not a vista issues.

I am sure there are bugs, but they were up and running on our game servers in no time at all and have lost no functionality.

The die hard geeks will hate it, others will love it, and just like in the VH world, the truth is somewhere in the middle
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hate to rain on your parade, G3 but......

Vista is a piece of shit, and so is Dell.

Is it too late to cancel your purchase? Or can you return it without a lot of hassle?
    Eat Us And Smile

Welcome back, Van HALEN!!!!

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

"What then is this bleating of sheep in my ears?"- 1 Samuel 15:14

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

but it comes in such pretty new packaging!

luckily my pc still works fine with xp...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, I'm Phil Bates, small Tech company owner. Vista's the bomb, yo!

Plus, in a few years you'll have no choice anyway. **sigh** But if you still have your XP I'd load that or set up for a dual-boot between the two.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,344 Times in 922 Posts

I've had Vista for a couple of days now and so far no complaints. Just getting used to finding things in a different place is challenging so far (took me a while to set up my VPN, which is weird 'cause I swear I walked someone else through setting it up a few weeks ago, sight unseen!). I'm not any kind of gamer, but I'm able to get into my Citrix applications for work, have my iTunes moved over and they work. Tried out my ZOO-TV DVD - it played. And I'm here!

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For those of you who want to try an alternative to Windows, go here......

Yeah, the name "Linux Mint" is kinda dorky. But it's an easy install that pretty much runs any multimedia content that Windows does, and comes with the usual Open Office bundle (among other things) so it's an easy distribution for non-geeks to get used to.

And it's free.... which is about $400 less than the full version of Vista!
    Eat Us And Smile

...It's the BAND and Dave is really the cat that can front VH. He sang his ASS off and was really cool. No cheese here guys, this is filet Mignon! - Steve Lukather's comment after witnessing a Van HALEN 2007 rehearsal

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Vistas working fine for me for the last 2 months. Biggest issue you might face with a new pc running vista is any older devices you might want to plug in. Printers, scanners etc. You might find you have driver issues with older peripherals.

A lot of the gaming issues early on were most probably due to the tardiness of sound/video card manufacturers to get working drivers out. I'm a heavy PC gamer and none of my games gave me issues, though I did a fresh install when I loaded up vista, perhaps upgraders had a worse time of things.

As for Dell, I've never owned one, I build my own machines, so I can't really comment.

Jumping down your neck and yelling 'get linux' is questionable advice IMHO. It will suit some users just fine, sure. but it's not for everyone, and you really havent passed on enough info about what you use your PC for be able to recommend that as an OS.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Umm...
    Last Online

06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

It must be better than Win 98

Seriously, when I get a new comp. All I need it to do is run Guitar pro/ recording software, that cool picture it! thingamajig,support my Creative Zen mp3 player and have the newest Wmp and internet.
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

Bands I've seen:

VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

Proud Threetard

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang_'99 View Post
    It must be better than Win 98

Seriously, when I get a new comp. All I need it to do is run Guitar pro/ recording software, that cool picture it! thingamajig,support my Creative Zen mp3 player and have the newest Wmp and internet.

Honestly, if you're going to be recording, save and pay the extra money and get a Mac. All the best recording software is written for the MAC.

I'm a HP PC dude all the way and I have an Acid studio program that works fine for demos. The thing is, if I want to upgrade to a more robust recording software program my options are limited.

Just sayin' that you should look into saving up $2400 to $4900 and get a MAC if you want a system that won't throw you ny limits.

Just my .02....
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning,F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.28.07 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been running Vista 64 bit since it came out, ZERO problems or issues at all, before that I was running XP 64 bit, again nothing wrong. You will always get blow hards that hate change and look to knock it, they did in XP, and when 98 came out, there will always be the chance of drivers of patches to come along and so be it. From a Windows stand point, far and away the best OS they have put out. RAM hog though, but you can see visually why among other things. Alot of fun stuff with it.

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Goo View Post
    Jumping down your neck and yelling 'get linux' is questionable advice IMHO. It will suit some users just fine, sure. but it's not for everyone, and you really havent passed on enough info about what you use your PC for be able to recommend that as an OS.
    I was hardly jumping down anyone's neck, but Linux has come a long way in the last couple of years. As I said, the Linux Mint distro that I mentioned above comes with a stock installation that will run any multimedia content out of the box. Office apps are available for free, there is all sorts of development software out there for programmers, and lots of musical applications too, if you're the "home studio" type. I'm not a musician, so I don't know how these apps stack up against a $4000 MacPro. But I can say that if you don't have the 4 grand, then a bunch of apps that you can download for free and install even easier than you could with Windows is probably a damn good alternative.

I'm not suggesting any committed Windows users automatically throw away everything they have used for the last 10 years, but download the damn thing and try it out, if you want something a little different. Best setup, clear one hard drive for Linux, and run a dual boot system. None of your windows shit will be affected, and with this particular version of Linux, you'll even be able to access Windows data from Linux, as it automounts NTFS partitions. So you could pull up office documents, media files, copy your bookmark files over from your Windows web browser, etc.

No cost to try it, no harm if you don't. Draw your own conclusions.
    Eat Us And Smile

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

FORD - I wasn't really referring to your posts.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

All 6 of em!!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sorry..... seems as though I have to defend every fucking word I post here anymore, in most threads. Just reflexes, I guess.
    Eat Us And Smile