Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

08.24.19 @ 08:44 PM
    Liked 2,177 Times in 1,282 Posts

"The VH Universe is built on a wall that separates CVH from SVH. Tell either side there's no wall, you've bought a war. Or a slaughter." Lt. Joshi - LAPD

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 8,981 Times in 6,450 Posts

Premium Member

I just saw a snippet on Global News (Toronto), that said there are still vacuum sealed rock samples from the Apollo 11 landing which have never been examined. They soon will be, with today's technology that is, ahem, light years ahead of what they had 50yrs ago.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:21 AM
    Liked 17,743 Times in 10,067 Posts

Premium Member

Moon landing: Buzz Aldrin took Holy Communion, read this Bible verse on lunar surface

Caleb Parke 1 day ago

Fifty years ago, when American astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, a devout Christian, made history landing on the moon, the first thing he did was give thanks to God.

Aldrin, seated next to Neil Armstrong, became the first person to celebrate a religious sacrament on a heavenly body outside Earth. The ordained Presbyterian elder wrote in a piece for Guideposts in 1970 he chose Holy Communion because his pastor at Webster Presbyterian, Dean Woodruff, often spoke about how God reveals Himself through the everyday elements.

"I wondered if it might be possible to take communion on the moon," Aldrin recalled a year after the mission, "symbolizing the thought that God was revealing Himself there, too, as man reached out into the universe. For there are many of us in the NASA program who do trust that what we are doing is part of God’s eternal plan for man."

And on July 20, 1969, after the Eagle lunar lander touched down on the surface of the moon, Aldrin pulled out the wafer that was in a plastic packet and the wine, along with a small silver cup provided by his church, which he kept in his "personal-preference kit," before he spoke into the radio, according to the Religion News Service.

“Houston, this is Eagle. This is the LM pilot,” Aldrin said, referring to the lunar module, shortly after the Eagle lunar lander touched down on the surface of the moon July 20, 1969.

Audio of Buzz Aldrin giving thanks shortly before taking Communion while on the moon. (Audio courtesy the Apollo 11 Lunar Surface Journal)

“I would like to take this opportunity to ask every person listening in, whoever and wherever they may be," Aldrin said, "to pause for a moment and contemplate the events of the past few hours and to give thanks in his or her own way."

Aldrin silently read from John 15:5, which he penned on a 3-by-5-inch notecard: “As Jesus said: I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me, and I in Him, will bear much fruit; for you can do nothing without me.”

Aldrin then performed the ritual alone, which his dramatized in an episode of HBO's "From the Earth to the Moon," and played by Bryan Cranston. Armstrong watched but did not participate.

"In the radio blackout I opened the little plastic packages which contained bread and wine," Aldrin said. "I poured the wine into the chalice our church had given me. In the one-sixth gravity of the moon, the wine curled slowly and gracefully up the side of the cup. It was interesting to think that the very first liquid ever poured on the moon, and the first food eaten there, were communion elements."

He later wrote NASA requested he not read the Bible verse "because of the O'Hair lawsuit," after Apollo 8 read 10 passages from Genesis about the creation of the world and an atheist sued. Although the lawsuit was eventually dropped, the space program was nervous about including any more faith declarations. But Aldrin managed to get another verse in before once again stepping foot on earth.

At the end of the mission, when Aldrin was headed back to earth, he read aloud a second verse, from the Old Testament, he scrawled on the same notecard, Psalm 8: 3-4: "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou has ordained; What is man that thou art mindful of him? And the Son of Man, that thou visitest Him?"

It's something that, to this day, causes the 89-year-old living legend, whose historic communion in 1969 is still commemorated every year at Webster Presbyterian, to wonder about.

"It was a privilege to have been able to undertake the first manned mission to the lunar surface, an honor to have worked with so many good and dedicated people, and to have left our footprints there," Aldrin told Florida Today earlier this week. "Even now, sometimes, I marvel that we went to the moon."

https://www.foxnews.com/science/moon...drin-communion
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:14 AM
    Liked 3,756 Times in 2,293 Posts

Premium Member

I always liked Buzz hes a character. I actually thought Mike Collins was dead. You never hear from this guy much like Armstrong was.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Last Online

08.16.19 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 125 Times in 73 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I always liked Buzz hes a character. I actually thought Mike Collins was dead. You never hear from this guy much like Armstrong was.
    Buzz is a character all right. Brilliant guy. Most of his peers couldn't stand him.

Mike Collins book "Carrying the Fire" is excellent, btw.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:21 AM
    Liked 17,743 Times in 10,067 Posts

Premium Member

Space Lord Motherfucker

Dude, the guy went to the moon, he ainít afraid of you.
    †"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"But, fucking with Brook is like fucking with hot shit on and ax handle. You just don't get a grip"-track5

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnít really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:14 AM
    Liked 3,756 Times in 2,293 Posts

Premium Member

Nice hook Buzz.....he probably thinks the earth is flat too.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    There are many listening option feeds in the real time tapes being played:

https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/
    "The VH Universe is built on a wall that separates CVH from SVH. Tell either side there's no wall, you've bought a war. Or a slaughter." Lt. Joshi - LAPD

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

08.25.19 @ 05:43 AM
    Liked 26,030 Times in 13,141 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Space Lord Motherfucker

Dude, the guy went to the moon, he ain’t afraid of you.
    I love watching old men beat the shit out of young punks.
    If I don't respond to you it means I have you on ignore, which means you are a douchenozzle.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

08.25.19 @ 07:13 AM
    Liked 10,555 Times in 5,793 Posts

Premium Member

I just looked up some old articles on that punch. That ass wipe filed assault charges, but they were dropped.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

Longhair MIT programmer Don Eyles saves the Apollo 14 Mission

Last edited by The Rover; 07.20.19 at 04:50 PM.