Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Last Online

02.13.18 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quite an irony in naming two neighbouring moons "Io" and "Europa". But that's a cool picture

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

07.03.18 @ 05:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Cool photos

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6955261/?GT1=10252

Haven't looked yet, but I will!

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.09.19 @ 02:43 PM
    Liked 56 Times in 39 Posts

Donor

Astronomers find largest exoplanet to date

PHOENIX, Arizona (AP) -- Scientists have discovered the universe's largest known planet, a giant ball made of mostly hydrogen that circles a star 1,400 light-years away.

An illustration of the new planet, called TrES-4, with its host star.

Scientists believe the planet is about twice the size of Jupiter, and has a temperature of 2,300-degrees.

"There is probably not a really firm surface anywhere on the planet. You would sink into it," said Georgi Mandushev, a research scientist at Lowell Observatory and lead author of an article announcing the finding in the peer-reviewed Astrophysical Journal Letters.

Lowell, along with the California Institute of Technology's Palomar Observatory in San Diego County and telescopes operating in Spain's Canary Islands, discovered the planet circling a star in the constellation Hercules.

Lowell announced the finding Monday. Scientists first spotted the new planet, called TrES-4, and a smaller one in spring 2006. Scientists at Caltech, Harvard University and the W.M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii later confirmed the discovery.

"It's very solid stuff," astronomer Alan Boss at the Carnegie Institution of Washington said of the discovery of TrES-4. He marveled at the planet's extremely low density, about half that of Saturn in our solar system.

"It's just letting us know that nature has some surprises for us ... a much wider range of possibility than we could imagine," Boss said.

He said scientists "can't understand why these so-called fluffy planets are so fluffy. It really is a mystery, just how they can be so low-density."

Scientists also are working on the possibility of another planet in the same constellation. "It's tough," Mandushev said. "We're not really sure what's going on there. There might actually be another planet in this field, which would be incredible."

The participating Lowell telescope is housed on top of Anderson Mesa, about 15 miles south of Flagstaff.

Lowell is best known for the 1930 discovery of Pluto, which since has been demoted from planet status.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Where Is the Rest of the Universe?

"Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

10.20.14 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Huge clusters of galaxies are surely colliding in Abell 520 but astrophysicists aren't sure why the dark matter is becoming separated from the normal matter. The dark matter in the above multi-wavelength image is shown in false blue, determined by carefully detailing how the cluster distorts light emitted by more distant galaxies. Very hot gas, a form of normal matter, is shown in false red, determined by the X-rays detected by the Earth-orbiting Chandra X-ray Observatory. Individual galaxies dominated by normal matter appear yellowish or white. Conventional wisdom holds that dark matter and normal matter are attracted the same gravitationally, and so should be distributed the same in Abell 520. Inspection of the above image, however, shows a surprising a lack of a concentration of visible galaxies along the dark matter. One hypothetical answer is that the discrepancy is caused by the large galaxies undergoing some sort of conventional gravitational slingshots. A more controversial hypothesis holds that the dark matter is colliding with itself in some non-gravitational way that has never been seen before. Further simulations and study of this cluster may resolve this scientific conundrum.

I check this site everyday: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

It's always got some really cool picture with an axplanation. The archive goes back several years. I've been collecting the images and then use them as a screen saver.
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

It was kind of funny when I first heard about it being a Van Halen “reunion”
    —Michael Anthony.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

THAT is a bad-ass picture, Cabot!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

That is an awesome picture. Simply amazing.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

04.24.11 @ 06:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm so glad I just found this thread! (although I thought it might have something to do with Sylar being tapped to be the new Spock!)

Still...glad to know there are some other Astronomy fans out there....maybe Brian May might pop in for a chat?

grouch
    I like Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Good to see the shuttle make it back safe.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Today's image is not only the most incredible sight, it is also too large to attach, so use the link below:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...la_eso_big.jpg

I love this stuff and marvel at the beauty of nature, absolutely incredible.
    This is only the tip of iceberg too.
    Imagine what we'll be able to see and learn in the next 20 to 50 years.
    Last edited by Cabot; 08.22.07 at 11:28 AM. Reason: my typing is worst tha Axxman's
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

—Michael Anthony.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

~Gilmour~On An Island~
    Favorite VH Song

The Blue->Take A Breath
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

As cool as it is seeing images of the deepest parts of space, I also like cool shots like these. Lots of planning goes into shots like these:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070826.html
    CABOT
    U.S. PRIME
    GRADE A STAMPED
    GUARANTEED

—Michael Anthony.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Awesome, Cabot!

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Dinosaurs wiped out by asteroid

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070905/...d_dinosaurs_dc

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A collision 160 million years ago of two asteroids orbiting between Mars and Jupiter sent many big rock chunks hurtling toward Earth, including the one that zapped the dinosaurs, scientists said on Wednesday.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Donor

Interesting.....

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Awesome thread!

Anyway, Ive been curious about the whole "space-time is curved" thing, so stumbled across some GREAT stuff....like this
    http://quantumphysics.tribe.net/thre...5-a6f3cd8e4459
    Science Daily — Technion researchers have developed a theoretical model of a time machine that, in the distant future, could possibly enable future generations to travel into the past.

Do the laws of gravity permit the development of spacetime with closed time-like curves? If so, then traveling back in time may be possible, physicists suggest.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    “In order to travel back in time, the spacetime structure must be engineered appropriately,” explains Prof. Amos Ori of the Technion’s Faculty of Physics. “This is what Einstein’s theory of general relativity deals with. It says that spacetime can be flat. That is – it has a trivial, simple structure. But it can also be curved with various configurations. According to the theory of relativity, the essence of gravitational fields is in the curving of spacetime. The theory of relativity also defines how space is curved and how this curvature develops over time.”

The main question is: if, according to the principles of curvature development in the theory of relativity, can a time machine be created? In other words, can we cause spacetime to curve in such a way as to enable travel back in time? Such a journey requires a significant curvature of spacetime, in a very special form.

Traveling back in time is actually closing time-like curves so we can go back to an event at which we were present in the past. In flat space, it is not possible to close curves and go back in time. In order for closed time-like curves to exist, there has to be a curvature of a specific form on spacetime.

The question Prof. Ori is investigating is: do the laws of gravity permit the development of spacetime with the required curvature (closed time-like curves)? In the past, scientists raised a number of objections to this possibility. Now, Prof. Ori is proposing a theoretical model for spacetime that could develop into a time machine.

The model overcomes some of the questions, which, until now, scientists have not succeeded in solving. One of the difficult claims against a time machine was that, in order to create a time machine, it would be necessary for it to contain material with negative density. And since we do not have such material – and it is also not clear if the laws of nature enable the existence of such material in the quantities required - it is not possible to build a time machine. Now, Prof. Ori comes along and proposes a theoretical model that does not require material with negative density. The model that he proposes is, essentially, a vacuum space that contains a region field with standard positive density material.

“The machine is spacetime itself,” he explains. “Today, if we were to create a time machine – an area with a warp like this in space that would enable time lines to close on themselves – it might enable future generations to return to visit our time. We, apparently, cannot return to previous ages because our predecessors did not create this infrastructure for us.”

Prof. Ori emphasizes that we still do not have the technology to control gravitational fields at will, despite the fact that the theoretical principles of how to do this exist. “The model that we developed at the Technion is a significant step but there still remains a number of non-trivial open questions,” he stresses. “It may be that some of these questions also will not be solved in the future. This is still not clear.” As an example, he brings up the problem of instability according to which in spacetime with a time machine there could be disturbances with increasing strength so that spacetime would be disrupted to such an extent that it would cancel out the time machine. Prof. Ori, one of the few scientists in the world investigating this issue, hopes that continued research will present a clearer picture with respect to these questions.

An article on this model was published recently in the journal “Physical Review.”

Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by Technion, Israel Institute Of Technology
    If you can manipulate space-time to travel in time, then it could be done for space travel as well. No need for light-speed when you can simply pull the planet closer to you.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane