Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

The rivalry between Diamond Dave and Sam Hagar...is that the modern day version of...

Howlin' Wolf vs. Muddy Waters??

Chess recorded a live album at the Copa Cabana Club in Chicago July 26 1963. Muddy and Wolf both performed, backed by Buddy Guys band. However they were not on stage together. This album has been released under at least three different titles over the years: Folk Festival Of The Blues, Blues From Big Bill's Copa Cabana and Live Action! This album also includes recordings by Buddy Guy and Sonny Boy Williamson. However some of the tracks are studio recordings. A great album, well worth looking for.

Chess also recorded an album called Super Super Blues Band in January 4, 1967 on which Muddy, Wolf and Bo Diddley shared the vocals, backed by Otis Spann (piano), Hubert Sumlin (guitar), Buddy Guy (bass), Clifton James (drums) and Cookie Vee (tambourine, vocals). On most of the songs (maybe all) the three singers sang a few verses each. Not a very good album though.

In his autobiography I Am The Blues, Willie Dixon says:

'Every song I'd give to Wolf, he'd say, "Man, you're giving Muddy the best songs." The songs I'd give to Muddy, he'd say, "Man, you're giving Wolf the best songs."

A lot of times you have to use backwards psychology on these guys. I'd say this is a song for Muddy if I wanted Wolf to do it. He would be glad to get in on it by him thinking it was somebody else's, especially Muddy's. They seemed to have had a little thing going on between them so I used that backwards psychology.'
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:29 AM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

It's an uncanny resemblance.

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    It's an uncanny resemblance.
    I can hear Eddie in '96 as Willie Dixon..."Dave...here's a riff I wrote for Sammy...you'll probably HATE IT"...(ques up instrumental Can't Get This No More)...
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Last Online

Donor

sar·casm
    Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
    1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
    2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm
    synonym see WIT

I got me some Dylan sarcastic blues, yez yez.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

sar·casm
    Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
    1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
    2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm
    synonym see WIT
    Squa...killin' my buzz when I'm as sobah as a judge...using definitions is cool as hell{sarcasm}...
    Last edited by Blind Lemon Loons; 03.15.07 at 09:43 PM.

Last Online

Donor

Blind Willie, you gots to stop assumin' everybody here knows the blues...

I know the blues. White man blues, mostly. Which is to say, the pale blues.

But most hair band catz don't.

{tongue in cheek}

There ain't nevah been or evah gonna be a stupid ass division as ridiculous and pointless as Sam vs. Dave. They themselves don't give a crow's patootie 1/100th as much as their stupid, stupid, stooooooooopid fans. Yez yez yez.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Papa Muddy and The mighty Wolf...were rivals...but no one knows if it was more show and hype...or a true bitter rivalry...Hubert Sumlin, Wolf's main guitarst...was even lured away from Wolf's band by Muddy Waters for one tour...it makes sense to me...the whole rivalry between Sam and Dave...2002...

http://www.puremusic.com/wolf.html

http://www.howlinwolf.com/articles/bio_2.htm

http://a2.blues.jazzfest.org/history.html

http://www.muddywaters.com/home.html

http://www.howlinwolf.com/

http://www.hubertsumlinblues.com/

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

There ain't nevah been or evah gonna be a stupid ass division as ridiculous and pointless as Sam vs. Dave. They themselves don't give a crow's patootie 1/100th as much as their stupid, stupid, stooooooooopid fans. Yez yez yez.
    Lots of folks start bawlin' if there's even a hint that a thread is going to go Sam vs. Dave...so I'm trying to be politically correct jus' a lil' bit...comparing Sammy and Diamond Dave to a couple of blues titans that hated each other supposedly...but used a lot of the same musicians...Muddy Waters helped Howlin' Wolf land a gig when he moved to Chicago from Memphis...sang some of the same blues warhorses...Muddy would sing Smokestack Lightnin' by Howlin' Wolf...Howlin' Wolf would sing Mean Mistreater by Muddy Waters...

:debil:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

R.L. Burnside vs. Junior Kimbrough

Them Beatles vs. The Rolling Stones

Van Halen vs. Aerosmith

Elvis vs. Them Beatles

Elvis vs. Jerry Lee Lewis

Elvis vs. Gene Vincent

Elvis vs. Eddie Cochran

Them Beatles vs. The Beach Boys

LL Cool J vs. Kool Moe Dee

Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam

Guns N Roses vs. the world

The Grateful Dead vs. Phish
    Last edited by Blind Lemon Loons; 03.15.07 at 10:30 PM.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But most hair band catz don't.
    Citation for appropriate hair band spelling of cats... just like the Tigertailz... and the Leather Boyz with Electric Toyz!
    Last edited by darthadv; 03.15.07 at 10:28 PM.
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons View Post
    R.L. Burnside vs. Junior Kimbrough

Van Halen vs. Aerosmith

Elvis vs. Them Beatles

Elvis vs. Gene Vincent

Elvis vs. Eddie Cochran

Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam

...and now Van Halen vs. Velvet Revolver! ...round and round and round and round and round...
    Runaround... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around... around...

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post
    ...and now Van Halen vs. Velvet Revolver! ...round and round and round and round and round...

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

We prefer the fast and danger.The blues'es is not making my hot senses.
    Sometime ok,but not making my jumpy jumpy emoticons get happy with explodingness of the fire and boom.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons View Post

Van Halen vs. Aerosmith

Elvis vs. Them Beatles

Elvis vs. Gene Vincent

Elvis vs. Eddie Cochran

Nirvana vs. Pearl Jam

The Grateful Dead vs. Phish
    M'kay, I'm gonna have to give you a demerit for even mentioning LL Cool J vs Kool Moe Dee, much less giving them validity in the rival department. Why not just up the quotient and toss out the Tupac/Notorious BIG feud while you're at it?

Nirvana couldn't hold a candle to Pearl Jam. Nirvana couldn't hold a candle to Velvet fucking Revolver. Nirvana couldn't hold a candle to the Mormon Tabernacle Boys' Choir. Nirvana couldn't hold a candle to my Uncle Freddy belching out the theme song to Sanford and Son. Nirvana certainly doesn't stack up to anybody enough to warrant Official Rock Feud status.

Phish vs the Grateful Dead? Come on, dude. No contest. Phish merely took over mass acid groupie road trip duties when Jerry died, that's all.

Elvis had no rivals, with the possible exception of Chuck Berry, which, I'm sure, should the 'twain ever have met, was likely amicable.

The Beatles didn't really either, though Brian Wilson and Mike Love liked to think so. Still, you gotta give Love props for talkin' shit about the Fab Four to their faces when they crossed paths...

And VH vs. Aerosmith? That was never really a serious rivalry, and even if it were....guess who came out on top. Hell, Bon Jovi has trumped our favorite band in terms of longevity and mass credibility.

Sam versus Dave really is a non-issue in the real world outside these boards, man. It rates just above Where is Judd Nelson Now?, but far, far below Britney Spears shaving her head or her crotch. FAR below.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 03.16.07 at 12:04 AM.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by muffdiver View Post
    We prefer the fast and danger.The blues'es is not making my hot senses.
    Sometime ok,but not making my jumpy jumpy emoticons get happy with explodingness of the fire and boom.

LOL!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06