Last Online

01.10.12 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Sammy says Ed & Al won't be there - SF Chronicle

Here's a new article with Sam. Says Ed & Al won't be there:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...DGLBOFSKV1.DTL

And the copy:

SAMMY
    Post-Van Halen, Hagar's been riding high on his own tequila. Now comes rock enshrinement.
    Joel Selvin, Chronicle Senior Pop Music Critic

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Retirement is a long way away; enshrinement comes next week. Hagar will be inducted in the Hall of Fame as a vocalist for Van Halen, who were the most awesome Top of the Pops heavy metal heroes going in 1985 when the group jettisoned vocalist David Lee Roth in favor of Hagar, who had already established a successful solo career following his spell as lead vocalist of '70s heavy metal prototype Montrose. Hagar rode that juggernaut down the backside of the bell curve for 11 years, including four multiplatinum albums. He returned to the fold for one eventful 2004 tour. Otherwise, Van Halen after Hagar has not amounted to much. There was talk of a reunion tour this summer with Roth, who hasn't exactly prospered since leaving the band, but Hagar says that has fallen apart already. He doesn't know if erstwhile band mates Eddie and Alex Van Halen will even attend, but Hagar says he will go to the ceremony with former Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony.

"He's my good buddy," Hagar says. "It's not him and us against the others. He got thrown out of the band, too. I don't think Ed and Al are going. The word I got from our management is that now they said they're not going. Roth'll be there. S -- , he's there right now. He's already got a room. I'm fine with him. I'm fine with Ed and Al. I don't talk to Eddie. I'm not mad at Eddie. I still love the guy. He's just hard to get along with.

"When we were all going, when they were gonna do their tour with Roth that just blew out -- I could have told you that; I bet money that would never happen. I would love to see it. They owe it to the fans. They should do it. I believe it's the right thing for Van Halen to do is to do a David Lee Roth reunion. Look how long it's been. It's never worked. This is the fourth abortion. There's a lot of fans out there and they've been waiting a long time for this. And it's gotta happen someday. We did it -- they should do it. Before it blew out, everybody was going. But the word now was, from Ed and Al, 'we're not playing.' "

The band will be inducted by Velvet Revolver (after Red Hot Chili Peppers were unavailable), who will perform a medley of Van Halen music.

Hagar praised the other 2007 inductees. "I'm really happy about Patti Smith," he says. "That's one thing I like about the Hall of Fame. I never expected to be inducted. I really didn't. I knew Van Halen would eventually somehow, someway, but it was still hard for me to imagine Sammy Hagar being part of it. But it is. I'm so honored. But someone like Patti Smith, who really had such a short, intense career. She did it so cool. She really deserves it for being such a rebel and being a girl at that time. She was cool. I think it's cool that they honor those kinds of people. Some awards shows don't. They go with the most commercial. Half the people don't know who Patti Smith is, but I think it's awesome. She was a true artist, a Neil Young kind of artist, where, s -- , man, you do it my way or forget it. I like that. I'm almost that kind of artist. For some reason, my art doesn't project that. But I'm that kind of person. I never cop out. I never sell out. I never endorse things. It's so funny. What did I do wrong? Or right?

"R.E.M. -- another artsy band. I like R.E.M., they're not my kind of band, but they made some great records. Grandmaster Flash. I don't own a Grandmaster Flash record, but he was really the innovator. I like who they're recognizing this year. The Ronettes. How long have they been waiting? For Sammy Hagar to be a part of that crazy, eclectic group, I like that part of it. If it was Bruce Springsteen, U2 and Sammy Hagar, I'd be this thin, little guy -- oh, man, I'm going to get no respect at this thing. But with this eclectic group, I kinda fit in, quirky-wise."

For Hagar, this is a happy ending, unequivocal and undeniable recognition and acknowledgment, permanent vindication, a Get Out of Jail Free card that trumps a lifetime of naysayers and petty bourgeois critics. At long last ... respect.

"This is something that is so etched in stone that when you say I'm a Hall of Famer," Hagar says, "you have to live up to it. I think that every time I step up to a microphone from that day on, I have to live up to it. I think I'm going to have to be a f -- Hall of Famer."

E-mail Joel Selvin at jselvin@sfchronicle.com.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

04.30.13 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's (SH) a good as a source as any!

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Chickenfoot! Cabo Tequila!

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 65 Posts

fuckin ego pussies
    I used to wonder why he was grinning all the time(Michael Ian Black talkin about EVH on VH1 I love the 80's) but then i realized the reason he's grinning is because he's Eddie F*#king Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

When was this interview conducted? It could be 2 weeks old for all we know. If this is all fact, then this would contradict every insider's report- including Melodicrock. It seems like it is in-fighting as usual.
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tbuenger View Post
    That's (SH) a good as a source as any!
    you don't know if that interview was conducted before or after the vh bros. said that they would now go to the RRHOF, plus you don't know that sammy necessarily has the most up-to-date info, if it's coming from an agent... not slagging sammy, but he's on the outside looking in as far as vh is concerned today...

that said, someone else posted elsewhere that the ed backed out again and has already prematurely left rehab... so we can take that for what it's worth...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

04.30.13 @ 12:24 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

True. I said it was a good source, not necessarily accurate. :-)
    I assumed that this is a recent interview since Sammy mentions that DLR is already there (just days away), but knowing DLR with nothing better to he could've been there the day after the initial announcement.

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"I believe it's the right thing for Van Halen to do is to do a David Lee Roth reunion. Look how long it's been. It's never worked. This is the fourth abortion. There's a lot of fans out there and they've been waiting a long time for this. And it's gotta happen someday. We did it -- they should do it."

Best thing I've ever heard Sam say...he "get's it."

Now if only the bros. could see this logic...
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Damn newspapers, rembember when they were the fastest source of info...Where have all the good times gone????
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 05:50 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZORBA5150 View Post
    When was this interview conducted?
    The story tells you when the interview was conducted.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tbuenger View Post
    True. I said it was a good source, not necessarily accurate. :-)
    I assumed that this is a recent interview since Sammy mentions that DLR is already there (just days away), but knowing DLR with nothing better to he could've been there the day after the initial announcement.
    Dave is already here because he lives in Manhattan. I'm sure he has a place in LA. But his primary residence is in NYC.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    The story tells you when the interview was conducted.
    what? where? the only reference to date that i see is 3/7, which is today's date, which i assume when this interview was "printed"... tells you nothing about when the interview was conducted... unless i missed it...

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZORBA5150 View Post
    Dave is already here because he lives in Manhattan. I'm sure he has a place in LA. But his primary residence is in NYC.
    Who fucking cares.You seem to conveniently misunderstand the point when it doesn't fit your ideal Van Halen universe. IT WAS A JOKE! Whether you find it funny or not is beside the point, you should at least be intelligent enough to get the intent. Gee whiz!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vanzefflin View Post
    Who fucking cares.You seem to conveniently misunderstand the point when it doesn't fit your ideal Van Halen universe. IT WAS A JOKE! Whether you find it funny or not is beside the point, you should at least be intelligent enough to get the intent. Gee whiz!
    I was just pointing out some info.

"Gee whiz" as you would say

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Last Online