Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! "Humans Being"

    "Humans Being" is often cited by fans here as one of their favorite Hagar-era songs. There was of course a lot of turmoil amongst Sam and the rest of the band at the time, though, and the band did most of the work on the song without Sam around. Notice in the mix his voice is considerably lower than in previous VH recordings. Ed also added the lower octave paralleling Sam's part because he felt it was incomplete. (Mike always sang that low part live.) Also, listen closely at the very end when Sammy is singing: "That's what makes us, that's what makes us humans being." During the first two passes the end of that phrase (where Sam goes up high), "humans being," is cut off; Sammy sang them like he did on the second two passes, but they were omitted during the mix. Lastly, listen very closely to the left channel on the outro. At 4:17 there's a scratchy voice that sings, "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" Who do you suppose sang those? Ed? Mike? Wolfgang?

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,945
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

    Default

    it's ed. He admitted in an interview that he went in and did stuff to the mix and added things after Sam was gone. I don't blame Sam for not wanting ot be there knowing what went down, I like the song these days but how it went down was crap.

  3. #3
    On Fire Blount5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.27.04
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    321
    Last Online

    07.27.11 @ 07:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    ed's singing the humans human being part too...

    by after do you guys mean after same left the recording session or the band? the song was out a few months before sam left.

  4. #4
    On Fire
    Join Date
    05.02.05
    Posts
    395
    Last Online

    04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    yeah, that's Ed. I picked that out right away.

    This song is my all time fav VH song (of every song ever).

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Okay... but nobody's addressed the bit about the "Yeah, yeah, yeah," heard at 4:17--buried in the mix and panned to the left. Does that sound like Ed or someone else?

  6. #6
    Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.12.03
    Location
    Chant It Like A Mantra!!
    Posts
    6,145
    Favorite VH Album

    A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

    Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

    12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Likes
    890
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts


    Donor

    Young & Wild

    Yeah, we get crazy at least twice a week
    It's the greatest thing to do.
    We are troubles, wind in my sail with
    just a bone

    We're young, young and wild
    Not like the old
    Young, young and wild
    The silver and the gold
    Oh yeah!

    Ah hah Look out now

    You can't tell me anything
    'cause I already know it
    See my tone, I jump and swing
    They're all goin'

    I'm young, young and wild
    Not like the old
    Young, young and wild Wooh
    The silver and the gold
    Oh yeah!

    I'm young, young and wild
    Not like the olds
    Young, young and wild
    The silver and the gold
    Young, young and wild
    Not like the old
    Young, young and wild
    The silver and the gold
    Ooh yeah!
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

    "I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

    If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    "Humans Being" is often cited by fans here as one of their favorite Hagar-era songs. There was of course a lot of turmoil amongst Sam and the rest of the band at the time, though, and the band did most of the work on the song without Sam around. Notice in the mix his voice is considerably lower than in previous VH recordings. Ed also added the lower octave paralleling Sam's part because he felt it was incomplete. (Mike always sang that low part live.) Also, listen closely at the very end when Sammy is singing: "That's what makes us, that's what makes us humans being." During the first two passes the end of that phrase (where Sam goes up high), "humans being," is cut off; Sammy sang them like he did on the second two passes, but they were omitted during the mix. Lastly, listen very closely to the left channel on the outro. At 4:17 there's a scratchy voice that sings, "Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" Who do you suppose sang those? Ed? Mike? Wolfgang?
    Yeah it is Ed doing those Yeah Yeah Yeah. I mean I don't have any first hand knowledge but I'm almost 100% sure its him.

    The outro to that song might be one of the coolest outros to any song...EVER. That was the last great VH song in my opinion. My uncle who HATES Sammy. I mean personally hates Sammy. Like he doesn't even like him as a person.... he just despises him... yet he likes this song.

    Humans...Humans Being

    I don't care who you are...what music you like...that is fuckin's COOL
    Last edited by MF5150; 02.16.07 at 01:40 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Loons View Post
    Young & Wild

    Yeah, we get crazy at least twice a week
    It's the greatest thing to do.
    We are troubles, wind in my sail with
    just a bone

    We're young, young and wild
    Not like the old
    Young, young and wild
    The silver and the gold
    Oh yeah!

    Ah hah Look out now

    You can't tell me anything
    'cause I already know it
    See my tone, I jump and swing
    They're all goin'

    I'm young, young and wild
    Not like the old
    Young, young and wild Wooh
    The silver and the gold
    Oh yeah!

    I'm young, young and wild
    Not like the olds
    Young, young and wild
    The silver and the gold
    Young, young and wild
    Not like the old
    Young, young and wild
    The silver and the gold
    Ooh yeah!

    when I just saw the bottom of your post I thought you were singing the song from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer...you know..."Silver and gold...Silver and Gold". I don't know....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    Yeah it is Ed doing those.

    The outro to that song might be one of the coolest outros to any song...EVER.

    Humans...Humans Being

    I don't care who you are...what music you like...that is fuckin's COOL
    I recall hearing that song on the radio in my car for the first time (I can even tell you exactly where I was). It was an initial shock of, "Wait... is this VH? IS THIS VH?! I don't know this song! What's it for?! Man... It sounds like OLD VH!" Who knew that would be the last time that would ever happen.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I recall hearing that song on the radio in my car for the first time (I can even tell you exactly where I was). It was an initial shock of, "Wait... is this VH? IS THIS VH?! I don't know this song! What's it for?! Man... It sounds like OLD VH!" Who knew that would be the last time that would ever happen.
    It was the Humans Being video that got me INTO Van Halen in the first place.

    But the moment I will never forget is in 2004 at around the end of March. I was in my science class and it was the day It's About Time was supposed to debut. so I borrowed my friend's MP3 Radio thing, put on the head phones and tuned it in to the local classic rock station here Q107 and right when I turned it on the girl said, "In about 10 minutes we will be debuting the new VH song so sit tight and you'll hear it here first!". Then in about 3 minutes she came back and said, "Here it is VH's new song It's About Time...". And then the guitar kicked in and I was jumping out of my seat!

    That moment...I will never forget for the rest of my life. That and when Ed talked to me during soundcheck...those 2 things are pretty much the only things that I look back on and give me goosebumps.

    That year of 2004 was probably the most exciting year of my life. From the rumours in October of 2003, then Ed's interview with 2Dorks in January, then the mailing list at Van-Halen.com being opened back up, then a new picture was put on the site of Ed's stripes, and then...the FINAL announcement with a picture of the new band! That whole year was AMAZING.

    Something I'll tell my kids about for sure.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  11. #11
    Eruption Jizzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Location
    Thousand Oaks
    Posts
    812
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    01.25.09 @ 07:22 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    that songs is what got me into Van Halen. hearing it in twister changed my life. that and the fact my dad played the best of almost 24-7 in his truck until i stole his tape.
    "I'm late to everything. I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half hour late and says on the side, like in gold, 'Sorry I'm Late'." - Axl Rose

    Can You Feel It, See It, Hear It Today
    If You Can't, Then It Doesn't Matter Anyway

  12. #12
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Cool... so "Humans Being" really is a big favorite... that's awesome...

    So who sang the "yeah, yeah, yeah" at 4:17??!! Anyone care to venture a guess? (That was basically my point in starting the thread.)

  13. #13
    On Fire
    Join Date
    05.02.05
    Posts
    395
    Last Online

    04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanBlu View Post
    yeah, that's Ed. I picked that out right away.

    This song is my all time fav VH song (of every song ever).

    Yeah, what he said!

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,945
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Cool... so "Humans Being" really is a big favorite... that's awesome...

    So who sang the "yeah, yeah, yeah" at 4:17??!! Anyone care to venture a guess? (That was basically my point in starting the thread.)

    it's ed. The story goes, Van Halen was supposed to take at least a year off after the balance tour. The tour was long and hard on everyone in the band, guys weren't getting along which wasn't the case for this version of VH in the past. Al had neck problems that needed to be fixed, Ed's hip was all screwed up. Sam got married and was expecting a new baby. Ed, Al and Ray daniels decided it was a good idea to do a couple of songs for Twister. Now if you ask me, I say they should have just given them a couple of Balance or FUCK left over tracks but the bros and ray decided to record new material. Sam wasn't for it, wrote a song to the HB music called "the silent extreme" which was rejected, went back, everyone fought. Sam wrote HB, sang it and left-his wife was about to have a baby, literally. She was 8 or 9 months pregnant in Hawaii with a breech baby which is a very hard delivery. Ed decided it wasn't done and did the Humans, humans being and the "yeah, yeah" part...lots fo other drama but that's the cliff notes.

  15. #15
    Romeo Delight Padre Atilio's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.29.06
    Age
    30
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    81
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street, Fire In The Hole
    Last Online

    04.30.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    At 4:17 it is really Edward, I didnt think about. But now I must lough everytime I hear the endig the thing is I dont know why :P
    Last edited by Padre Atilio; 03.02.07 at 02:26 PM.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. "Ah, Yeah! Beautiful Girls"
    By Rod Dangle in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 35056
    Last Post: 11.04.17, 11:38 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03.07.07, 02:01 PM
  3. yeah..
    By muffdiver in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03.05.06, 07:07 PM
  4. runnin with the devil..."youl buy in,yeah!"
    By cobias in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04.19.05, 05:06 PM
  5. Let us chant "yeah that was pissa" for all things Boston
    By Betty Boop in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02.07.02, 06:39 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •