Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

Please Explain -- Who owns the CVH Rights

Look, I know this may have been discussed before....
    But with the Best Of 1978-1984 CD coming out, I would like the air cleared, as much as possible as to:

Who owns the rights to release --and-- distribute CVH material?
    Is there a termed contract? What is it's expiration date?

Who owns the CVH Master Tapes?

I read the past thread titles saying that VH had been dropped from WB.

I don't know that any new material is going to be recorded.
    Maybe yes, maybe no.
    There could be previously recorded material in the can that could be released....

What about live material from the upcoming tour?

So, what record company would release and / or distribute such material?

I know that once something has been released, then the who and what will be self-evident...

But, does anyone have insight now as to what's what?

Thank You For Your Cooperation

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 1,612 Times in 992 Posts

Donor

Warner owns distribution rights on the old material. I am sure the master tapes reside in Edward's vault. I have no clue as to expiration dates on contracts.

It's anybody's guess as to whether WB reserved rights on first crack at new material. One would imagine, given BOBW's release on Rhino, as well as this upcoming Best Of 78-84 from Rhino, that WB probably still does have something written up on their cut of a Van Halen brand name product.

I doubt Ed's jumping ship on the label unless they force him to, even after the bitter III fallout.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

08.29.11 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed and Al own the rights to the VH music. Mike give all that up to Tour with them in 2004. If i m wrong someone tell me.
    Live by the VH attitude, die by the VH attitude.
    \mm/\mm/

"What do you wanna do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!"

Alex Van Halen "THE BEATLES will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with VAN HALEN."
    the way it should have been link below:
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4...5dd0881lk8.jpg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 11,577 Times in 4,934 Posts

Dave and Sam both have songwriting publishing credits as well.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.09.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AJHV View Post
    Ed and Al own the rights to the VH music. Mike give all that up to Tour with them in 2004. If i m wrong someone tell me.
    Those are 2 different things. WB would have the right to distribute any old VH stuff in a greatest hits compilation, hair rock of the 80's compilation (and no, I don't consider VH hair rock), etc. Mike gave up all future royalties to any songs he had his name on song credit-wise with the exception of a few. Ed and Al don't 'own' all the VH music specifically. And though I have no way to prove it, I doubt very much that Ed has any masters pre-1984 in his vault. I'm sure they're in a WB warehouse somewhere.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.28.09 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

None. There is NO 'C' VH, only Van Halen. No matter who the singer is.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i remember reading that in the past, the guys split everything 4 ways, but that this changed over time... i know u2 has said that they split their wares 4 ways... it comes down to money, so if one or two people feel like they're doing 90% of the work, then resentment sets in and there is a struggle for controlling the rights...

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

The purpose behind a recording contract is that an artist records for the label. The label then owns those recordings from the artist. (Recall Glen Ballard's notes about BOBW in '04 when he noted the re-masters were done from the original tapes and had to be retrieved from the WB vault.) In most cases (but not all) distribution is also handled by the label. The artist initially owns publishing rights to what they have written, but will often sell those rights (or part of them) for a price; they may also simply license them out.

Warner Bros. owns all recordings from Van Halen from the time of their signing (1977 or so) to the time of the termination of their contract (2001 or so). The label holds exclusive release rights to anything VH recorded in that time and also can release compilations as has been determined by the details of the "out" contract made between the label and VH. (Those details are probably vast and very specific.) It can safely be assumed that Van Halen has nothing to do with this next Greatest Hits release--that it is being put out by Warner Bros. (on their re-issue Rhino label) simply to cash in on the RRHoF and tour with Roth hype. Their marketing approach to fans who already own the music is that there will be never-before-seen photos and liner notes info, etc. It cost them little to manufacture and release the CD (there are no new recording costs, studio costs, producer costs, etc.), and the return will be a profitable one. That is why we're seeing a new GH CD from VH right now.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Dave and Sam both have songwriting publishing credits as well.

As does Michael, unless he sold them for a very pretty penny back to corporation Van HAlen as part of the '04 agreement. I'm sure Mike made out very well considering he probably didn't actually contribute much (which was part of the problem to begin with). I think what he gave up was his percentage of corporation Van Halen and everything that came with it. In other words, he "cashed in his stock" so to speak. I'd bet he was also paid a very pretty penny for it. I'm not saying any of this was necessarily fair, just what may have actually occurred.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    As does Michael, unless he sold them for a very pretty penny back to corporation Van HAlen as part of the '04 agreement. I'm sure Mike made out very well considering he probably didn't actually contribute much (which was part of the problem to begin with). I think what he gave up was his percentage of corporation Van Halen and everything that came with it. In other words, he "cashed in his stock" so to speak. I'd bet he was also paid a very pretty penny for it. I'm not saying any of this was necessarily fair, just what may have actually occurred.
    harsh... so what does alex contribute, exactly?

maybe mike wasn't writing the songs per se, but mike's background vocals are part of the signature van halen sound...

you can make the argument that the actual writing of the song is primarily done by eddie and whatever singer at the time, but take a look at u2... i can almost guarantee that not everyone contributes "equally" to the song-writing process, but they still split the $$$ equally (at least by their account)... money is totally what gets in the middle of keeping the "classic" lineup together of any band that you may like (duh)... eddie just keeps trying to carve out a bigger and bigger piece of the pie out for himself...

he keeps ignoring the contributions of others that were just as much a part of making him a success... if you listen to what ed has said in the past, the singer is replaceable and the bassist is worthless... had alex not been his brother, guess what ed would think of the drummer in the band...

mike's not poor by any stretch, but let's not minimize his contribution to the band... his vocals/harmonies were as much a part of what made van halen unique compared to other bands as was eddie's playing and dlr's frontman showmanship...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darthadv View Post
    harsh... so what does alex contribute, exactly?

maybe mike wasn't writing the songs per se, but mike's background vocals are part of the signature van halen sound...

you can make the argument that the actual writing of the song is primarily done by eddie and whatever singer at the time, but take a look at u2... i can almost guarantee that not everyone contributes "equally" to the song-writing process, but they still split the $$$ equally (at least by their account)... money is totally what gets in the middle of keeping the "classic" lineup together of any band that you may like (duh)... eddie just keeps trying to carve out a bigger and bigger piece of the pie out for himself...

he keeps ignoring the contributions of others that were just as much a part of making him a success... if you listen to what ed has said in the past, the singer is replaceable and the bassist is worthless... had alex not been his brother, guess what ed would think of the drummer in the band...

mike's not poor by any stretch, but let's not minimize his contribution to the band... his vocals/harmonies were as much a part of what made van halen unique compared to other bands as was eddie's playing and dlr's frontman showmanship...

I'm not saying that....I believe it's an original gripe of Eddie's. I agree and am well aware of Mike's contributions.