Top Of The World Rockguitarstar's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

That's Why I love ya
    Last Online

09.11.07 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Changing Wolf Floyd to a real one?

Hey guys, I actually did a search on this one and came up snakeeyes, so hopefully the direct question will work. Im going to change out the floyd rose in my first year standard wolfgang simply because the floyd rose is worn to crap, the locking nuts up top wont lock in, the contact points are simply worn to shit and the fine tuners are pretty wel stripped. This has been the go to guitar for the better part of 5 years and it just needs some TLC that includes a new floyd. My question is assuming a luthier that knows what he is doing does the change, the size and space required is the same for the hunk-o-junk peavey licensed floyd as an OFR right?
    Van Halen....nothing else is needed....

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The upgrade to an OFR is so easy, you could do it yourself. It should drop right in as far as the bridge in concerned. As for the nut, you just need to get the correct "R" number for the width of the nut and that too is a breeze to install. If you can remove 2 allen screws and reinsert them , you can swap out a locking nut.

Frankly I'm surprised that a Wolfgang (import or not) didn't come with a licensed Floyd worth its salt? Hmm... anyways, check out the Ping licensed version from Mean Streets Guitars. SHould be priced right and fit well.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.09.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You have to be careful with the nut, because the Wolfgang has a special radius. 15" radius Floyd nuts aren't found everywhere. You may have to go to Peavey to get a proper one. That's one thing people don't usually consider when doing this. It's the same with the Ernie Ball EVH guitars. They have a 10" radius. Most Floyd nuts are for 12" radius necks at the nut. You'll find you're going to have issues if you don't get the proper nut.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got a real floyd installed on my wolfgang standard.

IT'S NOT a drop in replacement. Mostly eveything is the same but some routing at the back of the cavity is required.

A good luthier should be able to perform this very minor routing without you noticing any difference at all, so go for it. Not only will it just perform better, it really does sound a tiny bit better if you have a good enough ear. Obviously it's also a lot higher quality and engineered far better than the crap the wolf ships with.

Man, and let me tell you, the damned thing stays in tune no matter how hard i hammer on that thing.

Best upgrade I ever spent money on.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Having replaced many locking nuts on Wolfgangs, I can tell you for sure the only perfect fit is what Peavey will sell you. I tried numerous "generic" options, and not one of them fit correctly despite being the right size (R2).

I have no issues with the Peavey licensed Floyd Rose. It's all brass, sturdy, and if maintained shows little wear. I'd like to know who makes it, however. Gotoh makes the EBMM EVH/Axis trems (which are about the best Floyds not made by Schaller), and I'd heard they made the Peaveys as well.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

I've actually got a couple Strats with real origional Floyds and a Korean Wolfie with the Peavey Floyd. The Peavey actually stays in tune better than the others. I can't knock that thing out of tune. People can say all they want about Peavey being crap (especially the Korean) but I've had mine for about 5 years and it's been pretty much flawless. I especially like how the pinch harmonics just scream out of that axe more than any other. You can pay about a thousand bucks more for a USA model. Sure it's got some nice touches, but there ain't a thousand dollar difference in my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Having replaced many locking nuts on Wolfgangs, I can tell you for sure the only perfect fit is what Peavey will sell you. I tried numerous "generic" options, and not one of them fit correctly despite being the right size (R2).

I have no issues with the Peavey licensed Floyd Rose. It's all brass, sturdy, and if maintained shows little wear. I'd like to know who makes it, however. Gotoh makes the EBMM EVH/Axis trems (which are about the best Floyds not made by Schaller), and I'd heard they made the Peaveys as well.
    I wouldn't say the hardware on the Wolfgang is necessarily shit by any means, however, I would say the EBMM hardware is definitely a cut above. If Gotoh made the Wolf bridges too it's definitely a different animal.

As far as the nut, Steve Smith shipped me one for free cause some loon used to crank the hell out of the old one when tightening it and wore it to shit. They may still do that, but I'm not sure.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!