Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.06.07 @ 03:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Mikey Talks- old but interesting

THIS FROM 1996 interview with Mike Anthony

I might as well do the Introduction for this Interview in English too, because there was not very much Dutch in the conversation I had with Mike on August 6, either. As usual he was very kind and helpful So he made things clear about the current situation especially for us, the fans who can’t believe what happened…

Michel: What’s happening over there?

Mike: Oh, there’s so much happening, you wouldn’t believe. You know, Sammy’s not in the band…

Michel: How come?

Mike: What it came down to is that he doesn’t want to work. We were working on the music for the Twister-movie and he was in Hawaii at that time and he wanted us to do the music and then send him the tape. We said “No, we should all be in the studio together because we’re a band”. And that’s how we always did it, so…. (Then Mike had to take care for his daughter for a few seconds). We finally got him to get back to work on the songs. He only came in for two days. So we had to try to get all the lyrics and vocals done in two days. Which was kind of hard. And he flew home. (Sammy lives on Hawaii - VH5150). Simply: he didn’t want to work. He finally admitted to Ed that he was frustrated and he wanted to do his own thing. When he quit the band he was in Hawaii and he came back to work on some new material. I think he was looking for a new recording contract, because when he left our band, Warner Brothers Records dropped him from the label. He was telling everybody that we were talking to David Lee Roth behind his back, which we weren’t…. He started to attack the band. He is basically lying. He wants everybody to have sympathy for him. Thinking we kicked him out. And that’s not the case at all.

Michel: It’s a strange situation and hard to choose. I feel sympathy for Sam as well.

Mike: I’m sad about it, too. Unfortunately, it’s the same thing when David Lee Roth quit. We got a feeling that Sammy was going to want to retire, I guess you could say. Plain and simple: he just didn’t want to work. Put the time in. Halfway through the project for the Twister-movie he said that he didn’t want to do it. Eddie said: “Well, if you didn’t want to do it, you should have just told us.” Then maybe we just had done some music.

Michel: Later I read that Sammy was looking forward to record a new Van Halen album. And now this, that’s very strange.

Mike: I think it’s funny too, because we were going to do the first of a Best Of album. We probably will put out some more, too. But he didn’t wanna do that. He has told everybody that when a band puts out a Best Of-album, their career is ending. If you look at it, Sammy has put some Best Of-albums himself I don’t understand why he doesn’t wanna do it with Van Halen. I think he was a little intimidated, being on the same album with songs with Roth. I think he was always a little intimidated by that. People always want us to do a lot of the older material. And he didn’t wanna do it.

Michel: That’s right. But why do you work with Dave again? That’s weird!

Mike: It is. Actually, when all this was going on with Sammy, David called Ed because he just wanted to know what songs we were going to release.

Michel: He didn’t know about Sammy…

Mike: Right. He didn’t know that we had problems with Sammy. He just called because he wanted to know what songs we were using of the old Van Halen on this Best Of-album. And then when everything happened with Sammy, he wanted to meet the band. Actually Eddie suggested… he said “Wouldn’t it be something if we worked up a song or two, new ones with Dave’? That will surprise all the Van Halen fans” We got together. We had a meeting with Dave. It’s funny because he was very humble. He hasn’t got a record contract now. He admitted that he has made big mistakes and that he did the wrong thing. He admitted that he has a very big ego. Hopefully he’s better now. But he realized that after leaving Van Halen he couldn’t do anything else. That it always got compared to Van Halen. So actually yesterday (August 5) we just finished recording two new songs with him. All I can tell you right now is that people are going to be very surprised by what they hear.

Michel: I’m sure.

Mike: Because the songs turned out great.

Michel: How do you feel about this situation personally? In the press the band always hated David Lee Roth. And now all of a sudden you’re working with the guy!

Mike: Yeah, I know. A lot of people were surprised by that. Actually I was the last person in the band to accept the fact that this would happen. Eddie was the one that wanted to do it. He met with Dave two or three times. And that last time, I called over there and I talked to Dave. It was the first time I talked to him in eleven years.

Michel: You didn’t, in all those years?

Mike: Oh no… I told them I didn’t want to work with Dave and I wouldn’t wanna tour with him. But I’m in Van Halen and Eddie and Alex are my brothers. And if they wanted to do it I would do it, too…. It was kind of hard at first because musically we’re pretty much evolved a lot more than Dave did. But we have a producer by the name of Glen Ballard and he worked on new songs with us. And all I got- to say is that this guy is the best producer we’ve ever worked with. He’s the most normal person. He doesn’t have an ego like a lot of producers do. And when we’re going to do our next studio record, he probably will produce it for us.

Michel: He also did the Alanis Morissette-album, right?

Mike: Yes. And he did the latest Aerosmith, but I don’t even know if that will ever come out. Glen wasn’t going to be able to do this with us because he was mixing Aerosmith. But they got some problems, so he quit their project to do us. Which was great because we wanted to work with him. I think these two songs turned out great. We’re taking this a small step at a time. Now everybody wants the reunion tour.

Favorite VH Album

II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Umm...
    Last Online

06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Very good interview, thanks.
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

Bands I've seen:

VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

Proud Threetard

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting. . .

Am I getting that right, Mike wanted nothing to do with touring with Dave back then? Maybe that figured-in a great deal why it was obvious to Ed from the beginning that Mike wasn't going to work.

Who knows, maybe that's why he bred Wolfie to play the bass.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Hmm...It's sad to read this with the current situation. It's funny how all of Mike's knowledge of "what happened" came from Ed. Perhaps, since then, Mike heard Sammy's version and believed it more.

Last Online

10.24.09 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The Other Half

I'd love to see The Other Half open for VH. They'd kick VH's ass every night.

Last Online

01.01.08 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rock View Post
    Because the other half is creating this gigantic buzz in the music industry right?

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
    Interesting. . .

Am I getting that right, Mike wanted nothing to do with touring with Dave back then? Maybe that figured-in a great deal why it was obvious to Ed from the beginning that Mike wasn't going to work.

Who knows, maybe that's why he bred Wolfie to play the bass.
    Nah, if you remember that last interview Mike did with Burrn magazine he said that on the sam/dave tour he went backstage and quote "unloaded" on Dave about why they couldnt make reunion work. Mike would definitely tour with Dave. He went ahead on the 04 tour and got a shitty salary just because he was afraid it was gonna be their last tour and he didnt want to miss out on it. I dont think its any different now. Ill bet Mike is crushed over this to tell you the truth.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VHwasCoolestWithDLR View Post
    Nah, if you remember that last interview Mike did with Burrn magazine he said that on the sam/dave tour he went backstage and quote "unloaded" on Dave about why they couldnt make reunion work. Mike would definitely tour with Dave. He went ahead on the 04 tour and got a shitty salary just because he was afraid it was gonna be their last tour and he didnt want to miss out on it. I dont think its any different now. Ill bet Mike is crushed over this to tell you the truth.
    I'll bet Mike is crushed at the idea of not being on this tour. At not being the VH bassist anymore. At having a 30 year relationship end this way. At not being able to play in front of the fans. At not getting a piece of this pie.

As for the actuality of being on this tour? I doubt Mike is going to miss for a moment all the stress and b.s. he would have to endure with dealing with Dave and Ed everyday. In that sense it may even be a relief.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 16,542 Times in 9,376 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rock View Post
    Dude, you're funnier than the real Chris Rock!
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1 Thru 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.17.09 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    I'll bet Mike is crushed at the idea of not being on this tour. At not being the VH bassist anymore. At having a 30 year relationship end this way. At not being able to play in front of the fans. At not getting a piece of this pie.

As for the actuality of being on this tour? I doubt Mike is going to miss for a moment all the stress and b.s. he would have to endure with dealing with Dave and Ed everyday. In that sense it may even be a relief.
    Exactly. In the interview Mike said that He was reluctant to work with Roth again, but would do so because Ed and Al were like brothers to him. It's a good thing Mike has Sammy, because his "brothers" treat him like shit.

Last Online

07.10.09 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd hate to have back-stabbing brothers like that.

Favorite VH Album

I, II, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Jump/D.O.A./Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how sad to read that in light of the present day...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still can't help but think Mike is partially to blame for the situation. I think if he stood up for himself against the brothers a long time ago, then they wouldn't have so easily manipulated and fucked him later on. Mike and Sam are buddies yet when Sammy left in 96, Mike took Ed and Al side. There were even a few interviews where it was so fucking obvious Mike was tutored on what to say about Sammy. Dave has said that Ed & Al always had their thumb on Mike. I think it was a case of Mike trying to be mr. nice guy and in the end it got him booted from the band. Reading this interview now and seein' how Mike is currently so chummy with Sammy gives the impression that Mike was a little spineless. At the very least, he seems like a bit of a flip flopper.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 564 Times in 306 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by NOaverageJOE View Post
    Hmm...It's sad to read this with the current situation. It's funny how all of Mike's knowledge of "what happened" came from Ed. Perhaps, since then, Mike heard Sammy's version and believed it more.
    Mike was giving the party line that he was told to give back then. He didn't want to be out of Van Halen along with Sammy.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep in Wolf's Clothing View Post
    Michel: How do you feel about this situation personally? In the press the band always hated David Lee Roth. And now all of a sudden you’re working with the guy!

Mike: Yeah, I know. A lot of people were surprised by that. Actually I was the last person in the band to accept the fact that this would happen. Eddie was the one that wanted to do it. He met with Dave two or three times. And that last time, I called over there and I talked to Dave. It was the first time I talked to him in eleven years.

Michel: You didn’t, in all those years?

Mike: Oh no… I told them I didn’t want to work with Dave and I wouldn’t wanna tour with him. But I’m in Van Halen and Eddie and Alex are my brothers. And if they wanted to do it I would do it, too…. It was kind of hard at first because musically we’re pretty much evolved a lot more than Dave did. But we have a producer by the name of Glen Ballard and he worked on new songs with us. And all I got- to say is that this guy is the best producer we’ve ever worked with. He’s the most normal person. He doesn’t have an ego like a lot of producers do. And when we’re going to do our next studio record, he probably will produce it for us.
    Funny thing is, I remember reading that article at the time & thought then that Mike was simply trying to take some of the heat off the brothers.

If that was the case, look where loyalty got him...
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth