Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 05:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Walk With Me In Hell--The Death Metal/Black Metal/Metalcore/Hardcore Thread

Considering there are only a few fans of these genres that frequent this site, I figured it'd be better to start a thread to discuss all the bands that fall in these categories rather than start threads about each individual band that would undoubtedly flop. Hell, this one may too.

Anyway, over the past few years my interest in these really heavy styles has grown ten fold. There's a lot of good, really REALLY heavy stuff out there that most people just don't ever hear of. I spend a lot of my time listening to Killswitch Engage, Opeth, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Trivium, Amon Amarth, 40 Below Summer, Dry Kill Logic, Shadows Fall, In Flames, Stratovarius, Shade Empire, As I Lay Dying, etc.

These bands are loaded with outrageous musicians, yet don't receive the credit they deserve because most people aren't tolerant of death metal/hardcore vocals, or maybe just not such heavy music in general. Seems to me though that it's typically the vocals that turn people off. I will admit it is an acquired taste. The first times I was subjected to this type of stuff I wasn't too thrilled and only put up with it at first because the playing is usually so solid in these groups. But after a while, the vocals start to grow on you and I find myself enjoying them thoroughly.

So lets open up some discussion...shows you went to, are going to, albums you just picked up, random shit, anything.

I finally just bought the new Lamb of God album, Sacrament. It is AWESOME! Great riffs, great vocals, hands down it rocks. I've been listening to Shadows Fall a ton lately as well, specifically to The War Within. Shadows Fall are the kings of throwing something that just sounds awesomely evil into the middle of a song. You take songs off The War Within like "Stillness" or "Eternity Is Within," and you hear some riffs in the middle of the songs that you'd swear were written by Satan himself. I'm hoping to catch them on the Jager Tour in a few months. Stone Sour, Shadows Fall, and Lacuna Coil, should be awesome.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

"What doesn’t kill you, will only make you pissed off!"
    -Alexi Laiho

"If I know I'm going crazy...I must not be insane." -Dave Mustaine

"Simpson, QUICK! Honk at that broad." -Mayor Quimby

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

What do you know about Cradle of Filth? I'm going to see Trivium open for them in a couple of weeks and know nothing about 'em.

Big fan of Trivium..
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cradle of Filth is pretty good. A bunch of strangle looking dudes, but they're good. They've been around for a while. They're more towards the black metal end of the spectrum. They have a lot of ambiance in their tunes with the background keys and what not. A relatively strange vocal style...I'm interested to hear what they are like live.

Trivium absolutely rocks live! I saw them open for CoB when they were supporting Ascendancy and it was AWESOME! If you haven't seen them before, you won't be disappointed, they put on a great show.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

-Alexi Laiho

Favorite VH Album

II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Umm...
    Last Online

06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Does anyone know of Alexisonfire their HUGE in Canada. Odd because not many bands like them are accepted into the mainstream.
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

Bands I've seen:

VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

Proud Threetard

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang_'99 View Post
    Does anyone know of Alexisonfire their HUGE in Canada. Odd because not many bands like them are accepted into the mainstream.
    I've heard them before, I'm surprised they aren't more popular in the US. I actually don't think they're all that heavy. They use some hardcore vocals but also do a lot of regular singing, and their music sounds a lot like traditional type rock stuff. Mind you they are very good. Even when they do the hardcore vocals, the singer's voice isn't all that deep. For using this vocal style, they are very easy to take and have a lot of catchy stuff.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

-Alexi Laiho

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a new death metal band that just finished recording their new album that has yet to be released. Name of the band is Job For A Cowboy. Their myspace link is here: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...iendID=3455245

It's a group of kids that just finished high school and they are sick. Listen to "Entities" on their myspace page. It is sick! I'm hoping to catch them during their European tour in April. Keep in mind, they are really heavy! So even if you like a lot of heavy bands, this may exceed what you are willing to take.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

-Alexi Laiho

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LoveWalkinIn View Post
    Cradle of Filth is pretty good. A bunch of strangle looking dudes, but they're good. They've been around for a while. They're more towards the black metal end of the spectrum. They have a lot of ambiance in their tunes with the background keys and what not. A relatively strange vocal style...I'm interested to hear what they are like live.

Trivium absolutely rocks live! I saw them open for CoB when they were supporting Ascendancy and it was AWESOME! If you haven't seen them before, you won't be disappointed, they put on a great show.
    Saw Trivium back in November.. wrote a review.

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...482#post670482

I work with Paulo's (bass player) Mom, so I've been following him since he had is own thing with Metal Militia when they played in South Florida. He wrote some pretty good stuff on his own before he joined the band. He's an extremely talented kid, and he's from a great family, to boot.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go checkout Gunmetal Grey. Here is a link to their MySpace page:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...friendID=75027

I've been hearing them on Pandora for a while now and they are quite good. They've got an EP out called Solitude. They're metalcore, with death metal vocals in the verses and singing during the chorus. Definitely worth listening to, I wish they'd put out a full length album.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

-Alexi Laiho

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

The band whose new CD is coming out soon, that I am really looking forward to, is Dark Tranquility. April 17th is the release date. I wasn't a huge fan of their last album, but their previous album Damage Done was killer. Actually, I am a pretty big fan of most of the other Gothenburg bands too.

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lamb of God live on Conan O'Brien from just the other day:

They're playing "Pathetic" from Sacrament. The performance is awesome. Afterwards Conan says the vocals sound like he was actually summoning the devil. Enjoy!
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

-Alexi Laiho

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Judgement Day View Post
    The band whose new CD is coming out soon, that I am really looking forward to, is Dark Tranquility. April 17th is the release date. I wasn't a huge fan of their last album, but their previous album Damage Done was killer. Actually, I am a pretty big fan of most of the other Gothenburg bands too.
    Yeah, it should be awesome. They're doing a US headlining tour in March & April! So I assume you dig In Flames as well...I'm hoping to hear something new from them in the near future, though I doubt it would be any less than a year.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

-Alexi Laiho

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is relatively stupid...From Blabbermouth:

LAMB OF GOD Frontman 'Boycotting' GRAMMY AWARDS - Feb. 10, 2007
    Melissa Ruggieri of TimesDispatch.com reports:

Chris Adler planned his special outfit for [Sunday night's] Grammy Awards a little more than a week ago "a patch for the hole in the butt of these jeans that I'm wearing right now."

Adler is the drummer for LAMB OF GOD, the Richmond-based heavy-metal quintet that landed alongside MINISTRY, SLAYER, STONE SOUR and MASTODON in the Best Metal Performance category for its whiplash-causing tune, "Redneck".

"We were totally baffled by [the nomination]," Adler says. "It's obviously flattering, but we thought maybe it was a mistake. The Grammys to us have always been our parents' show when we were kids. I would turn it off because it was that candy pop garbage I hated. But now to be nominated . . . I can see my relatives smiling."

On Friday, Adler made the trip to Los Angeles, where the band was to have made its national TV debut that night on Conan O'Brien's late-night show. Most of the rest of LAMB OF GOD — Mark Morton, John Campbell and Willie Adler — expect to be in the Staples Center audience [Sunday night] as well. But singer Randy Blythe is staging a personal Grammy strike.

"Randy, in his own mind, is staying true to his rock roots and boycotting the show," Adler says. "He's been calling us sellouts in rehearsal. But we never asked for this. As long as we're creating the music we're happy with, what other people think is irrelevant. To me, it doesn't feel like we've sold out to anything."
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

-Alexi Laiho

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LoveWalkinIn View Post
    Yeah, it should be awesome. They're doing a US headlining tour in March & April! So I assume you dig In Flames as well...I'm hoping to hear something new from them in the near future, though I doubt it would be any less than a year.
    Yep, I like In Flames, although I'm not a huge fan of their "new" sound if that's what you want to call it, although I haven't picked up their last album I've heard it's pretty decent though.

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Judgement Day View Post
    Yep, I like In Flames, although I'm not a huge fan of their "new" sound if that's what you want to call it, although I haven't picked up their last album I've heard it's pretty decent though.
    Yeah, Come Clarity is awesome! I like it much more than Soundtrack. But its still not as good as other albums of theirs. But it's a headbangingly good time.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

-Alexi Laiho

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From Blabbermouth:

SHADOWS FALL: New Song 'Redemption' To Premiere On 'Chaos' - Feb. 12, 2007
    Full Metal Jackie, the host of Indie 103.1 FM's "Chaos" metal program, has announced that she will premiere the new SHADOWS FALL single, "Redemption", next Sunday, February 18 at 10:00 p.m. PST. The track is the first single off the band's upcoming album, "Threads of Life", due in Europe on April 2 via Roadrunner Records and April 3 in North America via Atlantic Records.

You can listen to the show online at this location.

SHADOWS FALL will film a video for "Redemption" shortly with director Zach Merck (ATREYU, CONVERGE). The group recently wrapped up the mixing process with Zeuss (HATEBREED, UNEARTH). Nick Raskulinecz (FOO FIGHTERS, VELVET REVOLVER) produced the disc in Los Angeles at Dave Grohl's Studio 606. The track listing for the effort is as follows:

01. Redemption
    02. Burning The Live
    03. Stormwinds
    04. Failure Of The Devout
    05. Venomous
    06. Another Lost Hero
    07. Final Call
    08. Dread Uprising
    09. The Great Collapse
    10. Just Another Nightmare
    11. Forevermore

SHADOWS FALL will team up with STONE SOUR and LACUNA COIL for the latest installment of the Jägermeister Music Tour, which is set to kick off March 23 in St. Paul, Minnesota.

(Thanks: Andrew / The Space Lord)
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

-Alexi Laiho