Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1219202122
Results 316 to 330 of 330
  1. #316
    Atomic Punk hain23x's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.04.00
    Location
    way down yonder in Louisville
    Posts
    7,649
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    02.24.17 @ 03:44 PM
    Likes
    29
    Liked 500 Times in 216 Posts

    Default

    I play in Rolling Stones cover band with a bunch of my old school musician buddies called Sons of Altamont



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eat Us and Smile!

  2. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  3. #317
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    12,946
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 10:04 PM
    Likes
    5,159
    Liked 5,448 Times in 3,838 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hain23x View Post
    I play in Rolling Stones cover band with a bunch of my old school musician buddies called Sons of Altamont



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would love to see some clips, man!
    Any YT footage or anything?

    Halen fan covering the Stones? I'm very interested!
    Good luck on the upcoming gig. Any more dates lined up?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  4. #318
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Posts
    718
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 06:58 PM
    Likes
    493
    Liked 531 Times in 274 Posts

    Default

    Here's another stupefying original composition! Buckle your seatbelts and prepare to be dazzled!

    For several years I did a podcast. When I needed a theme song, I went back to a tune I crated when I was 19 or 20. I edited it down to an intro and outro, and here are the results.

    What I really like about this is it's the cleanest mix I've gotten with the least trouble. I don't think I even did any EQ'ing on the finished track, everything just blended.

    It's no better or worse than eating a powdered doughnut.


  5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  6. #319
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    12,946
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 10:04 PM
    Likes
    5,159
    Liked 5,448 Times in 3,838 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Right on, Arty!
    Funny..., first thing I thought of was the old Letterman theme, as well. Nice job though, and real clean mix.

    Did you play all the parts/instruments yourself?
    Really neat jazzy guitar solo too, and I love that sort of stuff with a clean Fender type of tone. Kudos.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  7. #320
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    46
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    32,546
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    Little Guitars
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Likes
    2,486
    Liked 13,620 Times in 6,650 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Arty, I really dug that dude.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  8. #321
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    12,946
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 10:04 PM
    Likes
    5,159
    Liked 5,448 Times in 3,838 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Arty, I really dug that dude.
    You should hear his authentic radio/podcast voice, and no, I'm not kidding!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  9. #322
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Posts
    718
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 06:58 PM
    Likes
    493
    Liked 531 Times in 274 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Right on, Arty!
    Funny..., first thing I thought of was the old Letterman theme, as well. Nice job though, and real clean mix.

    Did you play all the parts/instruments yourself?
    Really neat jazzy guitar solo too, and I love that sort of stuff with a clean Fender type of tone. Kudos.
    The guitar was me, and the rest was MIDI. So you could sort of say it was me on the other instruments, because I had to point and click in the bass, organ and drum parts, note by note, hit by hit.

    What you hear there was the verse of the old song, and then there were chorus and solo parts that were very reminiscent of "Crosstown Traffic."

    At the time my bass player and I were taking lessons from a jazz guitar teacher at the state college, a black guy who looked a lot like Gregory Hines. One day we played that for him, and he said, "That tune's actually pretty hip!" I felt I'd really done something, getting the thumbs up from a real jazz guy (and if he had thought it had stunk, he wouldn't have hesitate to say so!)!

    Thanks for listening, everyone!

  10. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  11. #323
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    12,946
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 10:04 PM
    Likes
    5,159
    Liked 5,448 Times in 3,838 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    The guitar was me, and the rest was MIDI. So you could sort of say it was me on the other instruments, because I had to point and click in the bass, organ and drum parts, note by note, hit by hit.

    What you hear there was the verse of the old song, and then there were chorus and solo parts that were very reminiscent of "Crosstown Traffic."

    At the time my bass player and I were taking lessons from a jazz guitar teacher at the state college, a black guy who looked a lot like Gregory Hines. One day we played that for him, and he said, "That tune's actually pretty hip!" I felt I'd really done something, getting the thumbs up from a real jazz guy (and if he had thought it had stunk, he wouldn't have hesitate to say so!)!

    Thanks for listening, everyone!
    That's very cool, and neat/rewarding to get validation like that by a "real" musician.
    Catchy tune. Interesting about the MIDI parts... I've absolutely never dabbled in anything like that, or even used backing tracks etc.

    Closest I got was using my two index fingers to program a Roland drum machine for those home demos you heard a long time ago!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  12. #324
    Eruption hubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.06.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,414
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 10:07 PM
    Likes
    729
    Liked 622 Times in 335 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Yeah, Arty, I'd agree with the whole "Letterman" vibe...but I can also hear a touch of CGTSNM's verse rhythm patterns in that staccato, clean slide main riff you have...

  13. #325
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Posts
    718
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 06:58 PM
    Likes
    493
    Liked 531 Times in 274 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    Yeah, Arty, I'd agree with the whole "Letterman" vibe...but I can also hear a touch of CGTSNM's verse rhythm patterns in that staccato, clean slide main riff you have...
    Then Eddie has RIPPED ME OFF! I came up with that back in 1990 or `91!

  14. #326
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Posts
    718
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 06:58 PM
    Likes
    493
    Liked 531 Times in 274 Posts

    Default

    Check this out. This is a girl who went to my high school. She used to truly DESTROY in the school talent shows, but to my knowledge, she never tried to do anything professionally except audition for Star Search once.

    She just posted this on Facebook today. I added a graphic but removed her name because I don't know if she'd be comfortable putting it in front of total strangers, but I'd be interested to get your thoughts. Sorry there's distortion in the audio, but that's what she posted.


  15. #327
    Eruption hubs's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.06.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    1,414
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 10:07 PM
    Likes
    729
    Liked 622 Times in 335 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Then Eddie has RIPPED ME OFF! I came up with that back in 1990 or `91!
    Sadly, it wouldn't be the first time.

    I don't remember which forum this came up in, but THIS song has some strong CGTSNM mojo running through it...and supposedly, it was recorded in '93:


  16. #328
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    12,946
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 10:04 PM
    Likes
    5,159
    Liked 5,448 Times in 3,838 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    Check this out. This is a girl who went to my high school. She used to truly DESTROY in the school talent shows, but to my knowledge, she never tried to do anything professionally except audition for Star Search once.

    She just posted this on Facebook today. I added a graphic but removed her name because I don't know if she'd be comfortable putting it in front of total strangers, but I'd be interested to get your thoughts. Sorry there's distortion in the audio, but that's what she posted.

    Nice voice!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  17. #329
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.31.06
    Posts
    718
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 06:58 PM
    Likes
    493
    Liked 531 Times in 274 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Nice voice!
    Thanks, Robbie! I guess you'd need video to understand, but this girl used to blow the roof off our high school gym. Everyone thought for sure she was on her way to big things, but she never even tried (as far as I know)! She just friended me on Facebook about a week ago, and I've had to bite my tongue as she posts songs she's recorded on her boom box. She's about 48 now and frankly, just a waste of God-given talent. She should've been in Nashville 25 years ago.

    There were a few people in my high school who were absolutely amazing, way ahead of their teenage years in music and acting, but to my knowledge, they all gave up within a year of graduating. I never considered myself on their par, yet at least I had the chutzpah to keep at it, to the point I at least have some stories to tell. My motto is, I'd rather be minimally talented and maximally motivated, than the other way around!

  18. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  19. #330
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    46
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    32,546
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    Little Guitars
    Last Online

    02.25.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Likes
    2,486
    Liked 13,620 Times in 6,650 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    My motto is, I'd rather be minimally talented and maximally motivated, than the other way around!
    Bret Michaels has made a pretty good career for himself out of that.

    The want to is much more important than the how to.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  20. The Following Member Likes This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1609
    Last Post: 02.25.17, 01:00 PM
  2. DLR Radio Podcast Links (Post and Find Them Here!)
    By MikeL in forum The Diamond One
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03.31.06, 09:13 PM
  3. Musical Spam - Links to lots of new music
    By melodicrock in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03.02.03, 08:02 PM
  4. Post some of your music!!
    By ebmm_axis in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07.29.02, 09:53 AM
  5. Official "Post Pics and Mp3 Links" thread
    By 84PSYCHO in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06.27.01, 02:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •