Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Default What is a reasonable price for a fret job?

I need to get my Wolfie Standard refretted and Peavey is being a pain in the ass by not responding in the repair department to my emails for a quote. My local guy, who is good, wants $325 for the whole job including new strings and a complete set-up afterward. This seems steep to me but in all the years I've played, I never had a fret job. Let me know asap, the local guy has the fiddle and wants to get going on it.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

That's not terrible.

I have had a few guitars refretted (top notch jobs too) for about $200-$250 each. The typical restring/set up, etc is usually about $45 or so.

$300 with the complete setup and restring sounds reasonable.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

My Axis is in the process of being refretted with.....interestingly enough.....Wolfgang frets (Dunlop 6105s), and I was charged $200.

That's not the WHOLE story.....that was actually the price before I decided to have him re-radius the fretboard to 12 inches, and cut a new nut for me as well. That took the price up to $275.

But prior to that earth-shattering decision, the price for me was $200.

I'm hoping to go pick it up either tomorrow (Saturday) or on Monday night.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    I need to get my Wolfie Standard refretted and Peavey is being a pain in the ass by not responding in the repair department to my emails for a quote. My local guy, who is good, wants $325 for the whole job including new strings and a complete set-up afterward. This seems steep to me but in all the years I've played, I never had a fret job. Let me know asap, the local guy has the fiddle and wants to get going on it.
    around $200-$250 ish is good, $325 seems a little on the high side

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I charge $10.00 a fret up to 7 frets. Half a neck is $125.00. Whole neck is $250.00. Set ups are $35.00 for acoustic/hard tail electric. Vibrato equipped guitars are $40.00. If you're concerned about price/quality ask for references.

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair View Post
    I charge $10.00 a fret up to 7 frets. Half a neck is $125.00. Whole neck is $250.00. Set ups are $35.00 for acoustic/hard tail electric. Vibrato equipped guitars are $40.00. If you're concerned about price/quality ask for references.

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    Scott, have you ever extended a rosewood fretboard & added a 22nd fret to a 21 fret Strat neck? I saw that a luthier did this on a SRV guitar that was being sold on eBay one time. Just curious if this is something you can do. I love the neck and don't really want to buy a different one I don't know off of eBay.

Thanks
    Chris

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

At my store we include the setup with the re-fret. It really isn't that big of a deal at that point. $225.00 to $250.00, strings are extra but, obviously not that much.

The price you are getting may be a little high however, one thing you do not want to do is let some yayhoo do a re-fret or anything else on the technical side to your instrument. If the guy is really good and reputable you will be glad you paid a few extra bucks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112 View Post
    Scott, have you ever extended a rosewood fretboard & added a 22nd fret to a 21 fret Strat neck? I saw that a luthier did this on a SRV guitar that was being sold on eBay one time. Just curious if this is something you can do. I love the neck and don't really want to buy a different one I don't know off of eBay.

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris, I've never personally done this repair. I've heard about it, but have never been requested to do something like this. I've replaced fretboards with longer fretboards, but have never added an additional fret to a fretboard. I'm curious to see how they did it. Do you have photos, links, etc?
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair View Post
    Chris, I've never personally done this repair. I've heard about it, but have never been requested to do something like this. I've replaced fretboards with longer fretboards, but have never added an additional fret to a fretboard. I'm curious to see how they did it. Do you have photos, links, etc?

No. I should have saved the pic, but didn't.

Thanks
    Chris

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I got tired of paying for fret jobs....so I got married.....now I don't get any fret jobs at all.

Bada bing. I'll be here all week ladies and Gents..don't forget to tip the waitress.

All apologies.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Well, I got my Axis SS back tonight with the Dunlop 6105s ("Wolfgang frets").

Yeah, they make a difference. Since I'm high as a kite right now, basically because it feels like I've got a new instrument, I think I'll report back in a couple days, after I've settled down.

I think the setup alone really helped my intonation problems. I was always just "eyeballing" where the saddles should be set by viewing close-up photos on the internet. I bought it used from a local store, so the previous owner had jacked-up the saddles pretty good.

Anyway, I've had a pro do it, and the difference is so far quite good. It actually *sounds* better too, for whatever reason.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post

Yeah, they make a difference. Since I'm high as a kite right now, basically because it feels like I've got a new instrument, I think I'll report back in a couple days, after I've settled down.

I think the setup alone really helped my intonation problems. I was always just "eyeballing" where the saddles should be set by viewing close-up photos on the internet. I bought it used from a local store, so the previous owner had jacked-up the saddles pretty good.

Anyway, I've had a pro do it, and the difference is so far quite good. It actually *sounds* better too, for whatever reason.
    Majestic, dude, I think you've gotta give that new fret job its due and learn to intonate. Pictures on the internet won't serve your specific guitar very well because each guitar is different, and there are a lot of other elements that affect intonation (nut, neck rod, pickup "pull," bridge height, etc.). It's a little more trouble with a Floyd Rose locking nut guitar, but once you've done the setup you can just keep doing small adjustments during each string change. Let me know if you need any pointers for intonating.

Somewhat related, I completely swapped out the neck on one of my custom "assembled from parts" Wolfgangs. I was having trouble with the first neck I put on it, so I eBayed myself another one and replaced it. Last week I brought the guitar into the music store I teach at to check intonation, and it was still dead on! I couldn't believe it! I would've thought a complete neck-swap would've changed everything, but I didn't have to move one saddle!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post

Majestic, did you find that the frets on the Axis were on the small side? Also, did you have to re-radius the fingerboard because of the bigger 6105 frets or was this just your personal preference?
    Thanks
    Chris

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default What is a reasonable price for a fret job?

20 bucks, same as in town. Ohhhhhhh, you said "fret job"....

Sorry, old joke. Couldn't resist. Actually $325 is about right for what you're descibing.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nast2112 View Post
    Majestic, did you find that the frets on the Axis were on the small side? Also, did you have to re-radius the fingerboard because of the bigger 6105 frets or was this just your personal preference?
    1) yes, I find the frets on the Axis guitars terribly short

2) I find the radius to be hiddeously round. This, combined with the short frets, causes my fingers to get hung-up on the wood during bends, legato, etc.

3) I only re-radiused the fretboard based on preference. It nothing to do with the frets, which are as narrow as the Axis frets, but much taller

BTW, the so-called 6105s from Warmoth are NOT the same as Jim Dunlop's 6105s. Warmoth merely uses Dunlop's numbering scheme since they pretty much dominate the market, but their version of the 6105 is considerably shorter than a true Jim Dunlop 6105.

've had to bump up the action a tad since bringing the guitar back into my wicked-dry lame ass Michigan house. Interestingly enough, this has helped me get a better "grab" on the strings when bending as well. The action was crazy-low when I got it back, so I don't mind raising it a stitch. The guitar is so much more fun to play now, it's like night & day.

And no, I don't have pudgey fingers.

Trying to immitate Crossroads up on the high frets was just absolutely out of the question for me on that guitar. Not happening. Not on either of my Axis guitars, until now. But I've really never heard many people b*tch about except me.