Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    5150
    Join Date
    07.13.02
    Age
    43
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    649
    Last Online

    07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Likes
    121
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

    Default Ed circa 1996 geetar question

    i notice a few here and more people read this than the guitar board so why not.
    obviously eddie playd some sort of prototype wolfie in 1996, or an early finished model and he played through early 90's 5150 amps.

    does anyone know what rack effects or even pedal effects he was using at the time? mostly rack i guess his sound and compresson and sustain is ridiculous on the two best of tunes, humans being and respect the wind.
    hes usin a wah bigtime and slight chorus unless its the compression.
    rack effects mostly.
    thanks everyone.

  2. #2
    Good Enough kowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.10.02
    Age
    32
    Location
    Peoria
    Posts
    1,917
    Last Online

    12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Likes
    12
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionMan View Post
    i notice a few here and more people read this than the guitar board so why not.
    obviously eddie playd some sort of prototype wolfie in 1996, or an early finished model and he played through early 90's 5150 amps.

    does anyone know what rack effects or even pedal effects he was using at the time? mostly rack i guess his sound and compresson and sustain is ridiculous on the two best of tunes, humans being and respect the wind.
    hes usin a wah bigtime and slight chorus unless its the compression.
    rack effects mostly.
    thanks everyone.
    He used a detune patch on his Harmonizer, and some of the sustain you hear, like in Humans Being and Me Wise Magic, is his sustainer.

  3. #3
    On Fire STC5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.15.06
    Age
    36
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    324
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, Balance, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Beats Workin'
    Last Online

    04.19.12 @ 02:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kowski View Post
    He used a detune patch on his Harmonizer, and some of the sustain you hear, like in Humans Being and Me Wise Magic, is his sustainer.
    Was he really using a sustainer that long ago ?

  4. #4
    Sinner's Swing! Rick S's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.29.99
    Location
    Wilmington ,Delaware
    Posts
    3,128
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    mean street
    Last Online

    06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    he was using a sustainer on the balance tour , during his guitar solo.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

    1love4chi

    Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

    Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    he was using a sustainer on the balance tour , during his guitar solo.
    Yup... he had one of his Ernie Ball Music Man guitars set up with a sustainer.

    He also had a prototype version of the D-Tuna on his EBMMs in '95.

  6. #6
    Eruption batch's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.11.00
    Age
    41
    Location
    Milano, Italy (formerly Udine, Friuli)
    Posts
    773
    Favorite VH Album

    Tabula Rasa
    Last Online

    09.26.16 @ 10:54 AM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    I have a pic of his rack.. hold on
    Be ready for my new amp "III OSIS" produced by H^3 in stores soon [that was funny in 2006]

    http://myspace.com/danielbacic ...actually not anymore

    www.bacic-tech.com ...gone
    www.viba-sas.it ...website of my old company... gone.

  7. #7
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    09.28.05
    Posts
    78
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1 and Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    All the one's with Ed on!
    Last Online

    10.07.13 @ 11:58 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionMan View Post
    i notice a few here and more people read this than the guitar board so why not.
    obviously eddie playd some sort of prototype wolfie in 1996, or an early finished model and he played through early 90's 5150 amps.
    Ed's first use of a wolfie live was after returning back to the states after the Euro tour in '95, he used one in Minneapolis, a hard tail tobacco colour one for 'can't stop lovin you' and I think he carried on using it on that song for the rest of the tour, although an ivory white HT one was used in Sacramento at the end of the tour.
    A trans red trem version surfaced at Jones Beach for a couple of songs and by the end of the tour Ed used that guitar for the whole show, no EBMM's as far as I know.

  8. #8
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    09.28.05
    Posts
    78
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1 and Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    All the one's with Ed on!
    Last Online

    10.07.13 @ 11:58 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    he was using a sustainer on the balance tour , during his guitar solo.
    I think Ed only used the sustainer in his solo for the first 13 or less shows, a black EBMM. In San Diego Ed seemed to revert back to his usual (if you can call an Ed solo, usual ) solo on his standard EB, leaving out the 'close encounters' riff, perhaps someone told him he might have to pay royalties

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by decatone View Post
    Ed's first use of a wolfie live was after returning back to the states after the Euro tour in '95, he used one in Minneapolis, a hard tail tobacco colour one for 'can't stop lovin you' and I think he carried on using it on that song for the rest of the tour, although an ivory white HT one was used in Sacramento at the end of the tour.
    A trans red trem version surfaced at Jones Beach for a couple of songs and by the end of the tour Ed used that guitar for the whole show, no EBMM's as far as I know.
    I was at the Minneapolis show in '95 but wouldn't have known the difference at the time (similar looking guitars--at a distance). The "Can't Stop Lovin' You" guitars were hard tails with a piezo pickup. I think his contract with Ernie Ball ran through September of that year (Is that right?), so he would have been obligated to play the EBMMs for the majority of the show until that contract expired (not unlike the Peavey situation in '04). Early on Peavey used photos of Eddie playing an ivory white Standard (w/ trem) and trans red quilt top Standard (w/ trem--the one you mentioned) from the end of the Balance tour. He also used the trans red Wolfgang on Letterman in October of '95 and one in the video for "Not Enough."

  10. #10
    Unchained Fat Tone's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.11.00
    Age
    48
    Location
    Virgina Beach, VA
    Posts
    486
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batch View Post
    I have a pic of his rack.. hold on
    what about a pic of his girlfriend's rack ???
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tone View Post
    what about a pic of his girlfriend's rack ???
    Someone had to make the joke...

  12. #12
    5150
    Join Date
    07.13.02
    Age
    43
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    649
    Last Online

    07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Likes
    121
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

    Default

    well thanks but does anyone have more specific info on his effects and rack set up from just 1996 and not the balance tour most specifically the songs i listed in the first post.
    thats awesome thanks

  13. #13
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionMan View Post
    well thanks but does anyone have more specific info on his effects and rack set up from just 1996 and not the balance tour most specifically the songs i listed in the first post.
    thats awesome thanks
    His rig was virtually identical from the Balance tour to Twister and Best Of.

    Wolfgang guitar / 5150 amp / 5150 *or* Marshall cab / MXR flanger (pedal) / MXR phaser (pedal) / Eventide Harmonizer / Scholtz R&D Smart Gate.

    I don't recall what he was using for delays, but I'm fairly certain they were rack.

  14. #14
    5150
    Join Date
    07.13.02
    Age
    43
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    649
    Last Online

    07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Likes
    121
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

    Default

    wicked thats what i needed. thanks a ton everyone!

  15. #15
    On Fire
    Join Date
    05.02.05
    Posts
    395
    Last Online

    04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I don't remember him using the sustainer on the Balance tour. The first I remember of it was for both songs for Twister and then MWM and then we know the rest.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What's the story behind this geetar....
    By muffdiver in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08.16.06, 04:02 AM
  2. What's the story behind this geetar....
    By muffdiver in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08.16.06, 04:02 AM
  3. Al's Drums circa 1984
    By paragliderIB in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07.21.05, 09:42 AM
  4. ? whose playing geetar for the PUNKS?
    By Eddymon in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04.21.02, 04:58 AM
  5. Any o' YAWL geetar collectors ever...
    By Blind Willie Loons in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12.09.00, 10:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •