Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    10.09.06
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    16
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Jump
    Last Online

    08.27.07 @ 09:10 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default The Pedalboard thread!

    Hey, I know there is a gear thread already, but I was thinking this could be a thread for pedalboards specifically. You know, explain what you have, maybe which settings you like on it.

    I'll start:



    Dunlop 535Q: Usually in the higher frequency range
    Whammy IV: Whatever the song calls for (normally 2 octaves up, just for fun )
    DS-1: Tone at 11 o' clock, level at whatever is necessary, gain on full

    How about you guys?

  2. #2
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    My pedal board (a Furman SPB-8) as it is right now:

    Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
    Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
    Tech 21 CompTortion
    Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
    Rockson AD-80 Analog Delay
    MXR M-117R Flanger
    MXR EVH Phase 90
    Ibanez TLS Soundtank Tremolo
    MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
    Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
    MXR M-133 Micro Amp

    Other stuff occasionally used:

    Boss BF-2 Flanger
    Boss DSD-3 Digital Sampler/Delay
    Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
    Danelectro BLT Slap Echo
    Danelectro Daddy-O Overdrive
    Danelectro DD1 Fab Tone Overdrive
    Danelectro Tuna Melt Tremolo
    Digitech X-Series Synth Wah Envelope Filter
    Dunlop Cry Baby Wah-Wah
    Ibanez OT-10 Octave
    Morely Bad Horsie 2 Wah
    MXR M-101 Phase 90

    The general rig is (usually): A Wolfgang guitar, a 5150 or 5150 II amp into a Marshall JCM 900, the pedal board through the effects loop of the amp.

    My pedal board went from being a lot of Boss stuff a few years ago to a lot of MXR stuff now. The MXR pedals just always sound "right" to me.

    Sometimes I'll use the Peavey 5150 cabs for recording because they have a "tighter" sound that translates well through a microphone.

    I'll try and remember to take some pics tonight when I'm down at the studio.

  3. #3
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt08642 View Post
    Hey, I know there is a gear thread already, but I was thinking this could be a thread for pedalboards specifically. You know, explain what you have, maybe which settings you like on it.

    I'll start:



    Dunlop 535Q: Usually in the higher frequency range
    Whammy IV: Whatever the song calls for (normally 2 octaves up, just for fun )
    DS-1: Tone at 11 o' clock, level at whatever is necessary, gain on full

    How about you guys?

    i must admitt the wammy is my fave "fun" pedal of all time, i'll pst some pics of my gear later, i only seem to use really basic cheap stuff for some reason, coz i only use the amp for the general tone and o/d so my kit is as follows

    digitech rp 80
    zoom 1010-for some god forsaken reason i have found the delay on this cheap ass unit is brilliant for cathedral type stuff
    mxr phase 90 pre-evh one
    digitech wammy IV
    morley bad horsie wah
    some cheap crappy flanger that sometimes gets used, it just has a sound all its own

    this all goes through a 5150 head or a triple rectifier and marshall cabs(str8 in the front, i dont use the effects loop)
    when clean tones are called for i use either a blackface twin or a vox ac30
    i also run an a/b box for switching amps
    simple but effective this has been my main rig for years and to my ears it sounds great conssidering the "cheapness" of the effects its suprisingly versatile
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  4. #4
    On Fire STC5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.15.06
    Age
    36
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    324
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, Balance, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Beats Workin'
    Last Online

    04.19.12 @ 02:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt08642 View Post
    Hey, I know there is a gear thread already, but I was thinking this could be a thread for pedalboards specifically. You know, explain what you have, maybe which settings you like on it.

    I'll start:



    Dunlop 535Q: Usually in the higher frequency range
    Whammy IV: Whatever the song calls for (normally 2 octaves up, just for fun )
    DS-1: Tone at 11 o' clock, level at whatever is necessary, gain on full

    How about you guys?
    To date, My effects loop is pretty simple. I start with my boss ds-1 distortion, then my boss ge-7 eq, then my boss ce-5 chorus, ans lastly the mxr evh-90 phaser. I prefer a constant chorus effect(clean and distorted), and typically use my eq in a "smile" pattern.

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STC5150 View Post
    To date, My effects loop is pretty simple. I start with my boss ds-1 distortion, then my boss ge-7 eq, then my boss ce-5 chorus, ans lastly the mxr evh-90 phaser. I prefer a constant chorus effect(clean and distorted), and typically use my eq in a "smile" pattern.
    Hey STC, do you have the 'Script' button engaged on the EVH Phase 90? I switched from the original Phase 90 just for that function; it works well with humbuckers to help reduce the "dirtiness" that hot pickups can sometimes push the Phase 90 to spit out.

  6. #6
    On Fire STC5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.15.06
    Age
    36
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    324
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, Balance, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Beats Workin'
    Last Online

    04.19.12 @ 02:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Hey STC, do you have the 'Script' button engaged on the EVH Phase 90? I switched from the original Phase 90 just for that function; it works well with humbuckers to help reduce the "dirtiness" that hot pickups can sometimes push the Phase 90 to spit out.
    I got the pedal for xmas a year ago or so. When I first tried it, It was without script engaged. When I engaged it, it stayed there, and has not been touched for over a year ! I like the smoothness of it in script mode, much less edgier. Especially paired with the DS-1........ I use the ds-1 with the gain all the way up, and the script mode pairs nicely with it.

  7. #7
    XTC man! homeunit's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.00
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    4,113
    Favorite VH Album

    Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

    Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

    09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    29
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Here's mine

    Guitar into;
    Boss tu2 tuner
    Original crybaby with the fasul chip
    boss dd-3 delay
    Keeley modded TS-9 Tube Screamer
    MXR EVH phase 90, (script engaged)
    MXR EVH Flanger, (non-engaged set for tremelo, or engaged for shots)

    All that goes into the front of my Fuchs ODS 100 into a Marshall 4x12 with 70 watt celestions.
    Last edited by homeunit; 01.03.07 at 06:09 PM. Reason: forgot the ts-9
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

  8. #8
    Eruption Wolfgang_'99's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.29.06
    Age
    24
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,019
    Favorite VH Album

    II, 1984, OU812, Fuck, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Umm...
    Last Online

    06.18.10 @ 10:55 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Digitech delay and blues
    Zoom modulator.
    VAN HALEN FOR LIFE

    Bands I've seen:

    VAN HALEN X2
    Rose Hill Drv.
    Aerosmith X2
    Cheap Trick
    Motley Cru
    The Who
    BB King
    Velvet Revolver
    Three Days Grace
    Robert Plant
    The trews
    Heaven and Hell
    Megadeth
    Roger Waters/ Best concert EVER
    Ozzy
    Rob Zombie
    In This Moment

    Proud Threetard

    5150

  9. #9
    Baluchitherium Mikey Metalhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.25.00
    Age
    53
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    4,033
    Last Online

    06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I like to keep it simple on the floor, so its all rack effects for me controlled thru midi

    behringer board has 99 presets and can send 5 simultanous (sic) programs
    at a time per preset. plus two continues controllers. I can get my gsp2112 and dhp55 harmonizer to do about anything including whammy effects.
    it also has two "hard" amp switches, I use one to switch my tuner into mute.

    but I could not get a good wah, so I have a bad horsie.

    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

  10. #10
    On Fire STC5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.15.06
    Age
    36
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    324
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, Balance, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Beats Workin'
    Last Online

    04.19.12 @ 02:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    I like to keep it simple on the floor, so its all rack effects for me controlled thru midi

    behringer board has 99 presets and can send 5 simultanous (sic) programs
    at a time per preset. plus two continues controllers. I can get my gsp2112 and dhp55 harmonizer to do about anything including whammy effects.
    it also has two "hard" amp switches, I use one to switch my tuner into mute.

    but I could not get a good wah, so I have a bad horsie.

    Holy shit, awesome rig !

  11. #11
    XTC man! homeunit's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.00
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    4,113
    Favorite VH Album

    Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

    Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

    09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    29
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    I like to keep it simple on the floor, so its all rack effects for me controlled thru midi

    behringer board has 99 presets and can send 5 simultanous (sic) programs
    at a time per preset. plus two continues controllers. I can get my gsp2112 and dhp55 harmonizer to do about anything including whammy effects.
    it also has two "hard" amp switches, I use one to switch my tuner into mute.

    but I could not get a good wah, so I have a bad horsie.

    Hey bro,

    How's the harmonizer working for you? As you can see by my rig I run all pedals. I'd love to go to an all in one unit but everything (rack) I've tried sounds wayyyyy roo digital for me.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

  12. #12
    On Fire STC5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.15.06
    Age
    36
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    324
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, Balance, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Beats Workin'
    Last Online

    04.19.12 @ 02:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homeunit View Post
    Hey bro,

    How's the harmonizer working for you? As you can see by my rig I run all pedals. I'd love to go to an all in one unit but everything (rack) I've tried sounds wayyyyy roo digital for me.
    does digitech make the harmonizer anymore ? Can't find it on their website....

  13. #13
    Baluchitherium Mikey Metalhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.25.00
    Age
    53
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    4,033
    Last Online

    06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    no, tough to find rack stuff these days.

    it is a great poor mans harmanizer. I had connections, so I got it at cost, about $700 before it was even released to the public. (hard to even find used now)

    cool wammy effects, best chorus I have ever heard, thats about it, just so so harmonies and delay.

    problem with rack stuff is it does one or two things good, so it can get expensive because you still need several devices. but I got good deals and upgraded over the last 20 years. I think stomp boxes sound great, but this works good for me and is simple to setup.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

  14. #14
    XTC man! homeunit's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.00
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    4,113
    Favorite VH Album

    Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

    Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

    09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    29
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    no, tough to find rack stuff these days.

    it is a great poor mans harmanizer. I had connections, so I got it at cost, about $700 before it was even released to the public. (hard to even find used now)

    cool wammy effects, best chorus I have ever heard, thats about it, just so so harmonies and delay.

    problem with rack stuff is it does one or two things good, so it can get expensive because you still need several devices. but I got good deals and upgraded over the last 20 years. I think stomp boxes sound great, but this works good for me and is simple to setup.
    Pretty much what I thought. The best sounds I've ever had is in the studio running through Avalon pre's into lexicon and eventide gear; 6-10K in gear before you get to the guitar rig!

    For me I'm looking for sound quality and ease of use. If I could find a setup that would do multiple effects switching in one shot I'd be happy. The problem I have is that I have to kill the delay and phase 90 and switch to a dirty tone on one!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

  15. #15
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by homeunit View Post
    Pretty much what I thought. The best sounds I've ever had is in the studio running through Avalon pre's into lexicon and eventide gear; 6-10K in gear before you get to the guitar rig!

    For me I'm looking for sound quality and ease of use. If I could find a setup that would do multiple effects switching in one shot I'd be happy. The problem I have is that I have to kill the delay and phase 90 and switch to a dirty tone on one!
    I was all rack for a short time, but in the end the "digitalness" of it started to get to me. I've got lots of stuff in my pedal board now (see my earlier post), but it's all safely velcroed down, powered from the board, and connected with high-quality cables. I've had no problems with it for about two years now, and set-up is simply running the send and return to and from the effects loop. I like that I can pick each effect indvidually and in essence have no weaknesses in any one part of my board. In other words, for me it became worth the hassle to go all stomp boxes, and it really isn't that much of a hassle.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. The YES thread
    By LLFHS in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 327
    Last Post: 05.09.17, 06:58 AM
  2. VH Bad-Assed Chicks Thread aka the Girlie Thread Mark II
    By stilleddiesangel in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 951
    Last Post: 03.10.17, 01:53 AM
  3. Don't look at this thread
    By Eddymon in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12.18.05, 10:36 PM
  4. where's my thread?
    By swage in forum VHLinks Feedback & Troubleshooting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02.02.03, 11:49 AM
  5. Replies: 79
    Last Post: 09.17.00, 12:56 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •