Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Veiled message for Christmas

I'm shocked it's not happening here in the States?!?!

Britain News:
    LEICESTER
    A Muslim woman who wears a full-face veil will broadcast her views to millions on Christmas Day when she delivers the alternative Queen’s speech for Channel 4.

Khadija Ravat, 34, a lecturer in Islamic studies from Leicester, who chose to wear the niqab 12 years ago, is expected to describe the niqab as empowering for Muslim women and to criticise Jack Straw’s comments about the women wearing the veil.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You know something cool about the entire UK?

You shouldn't piss them off or get in their face, the only thing an English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh person likes more than a good pint is a good fight.

They'll fight dirty too.

God save the Queen.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

This might just cause some problems, depending on what she says.

There has been a big debate raging here for quite a while now, especially regarding the niqab. Whilst it is true that the majority of Muslim women in the UK wear the veil (if they do) out of choice, it is seen by many not as empowering but as restrictive. Regardless, the comments that our Home Sec Jack Straw made about the veil was that if he was talking to someone he liked to be able to see their face and had asked someone to remove their veil when she was talking to him.

This, of course, caused an outcry from the Muslim community.

What I don't understand, and this could be just the media hyping things up, is why this is being called an alternative Queen's xmas speech. I may be wrong, but I didn't think Muslims had any special celebration of xmas and secondly (and this I know to be true), this lady is not the Queen. If this in any way tries to "compete" there will be trouble. Whilst at least half of us Brits are not particularly pro-monarchy, most would see this as deeply offensive.

We shall see.

Tony Blair made a speech today about integration in British society which has been taken badly by certain sectors. He said (I paraphrase) "People who come to Britain should respect the traditions of this country. We are one of the most tolerant countries in the world and this is what makes Britain, Britain. Those who seek to bring intolerance to Britain are not welcome." ...or something like that that.

I disagree with a lot of what he says but I do agree with this. Like every country we have had problems with integration of different ethnic and religious groups but, except for some serious riots in the early 80's and some in the late 90's we have a very good track record on relations, especially when I compare us to just about every other country i can think of.

However, extremism is on the rise, from all sides. The British national party, which two decades ago was seen as a gruop of racist skinhead thugs has somehow gained a certain level of repectability and even some seats in the House of Commons. There is a growing tension in this country that little stunts like this will not help to dispel.

And Ax, yes you're right. The Brits pint like no others (except maybe the Finnish) and bar/street fighting is almost a sport here (are the two connected...hmmm?) and a drunken idiot who feels his country has been insulted is quite likely to lash out in his lobster reflex kind of way, thus ensuring a further chain reaction.

People just need to relax the fuck down on all sides. 65 million people crammed onto a island a quarter the size of Texas have to get along.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

btw, if ayones interested here's the Channel 4 report on the speech and the wider issues in the UK at the moment. A little background just to say, Ch4 is probably the best news we have in the UK nowadays, often very blunt and sometimes quite confrontational, though not really in this report.

http://www.channel4.com/player/v2/pl...sp?showId=3736
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Tony Blair made a speech today about integration in British society which has been taken badly by certain sectors. He said (I paraphrase) "People who come to Britain should respect the traditions of this country. We are one of the most tolerant countries in the world and this is what makes Britain, Britain. Those who seek to bring intolerance to Britain are not welcome." ...or something like that that.

I disagree with a lot of what he says but I do agree with this. Like every country we have had problems with integration of different ethnic and religious groups but, except for some serious riots in the early 80's and some in the late 90's we have a very good track record on relations, especially when I compare us to just about every other country i can think of.

People just need to relax the fuck down on all sides. 65 million people crammed onto a island a quarter the size of Texas have to get along.
    This is somewhat similar to the US immigration problems here, except in reverse. The immigrants want us to accommodate them rather than have to learn the language, etc.

Or something like that. This sounds like trouble to me tho and a bit disrepectful to your monarchy. There are not two Queens, well unless you consider Freddie and the boys too.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One