Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

04.24.17 @ 11:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alex Van Halen

First and foremost, I need for the record say I grew up with there music and still to this day irregardless what happens I will be a fan.

You guys have pretty much in a nut shell stated your feeling about who came after Eddie's sound. Well, I think you sumed it up by stating there is no one. Truly there isn't. He did change rock history hand's down. My cousin in 1977 took me to Santa Fe Springs to see these cats for the very first time only to discover SHIT THIS IS AWESOME. What I was more astound by was the style of Alex's is playing. I mean talk about force. I was a youth hearing this for the first time, and went home with my ears ready to pop off. I followed them from that point on. I listened to a lot of Led Zep, and saw some kind of comparison. John Bonham and Alex used the same kinda of drums. Ludwigs. The difference over the years, those same drums grew like wild flower into this enormous kit. And he used every single one of them. So, who came after Alex? I can't think of anyone. I mean there are great drummers out there. But no one, in my opinion to this day, comes close to that sound. Since my first experience with trying to play drums back in 79, I tried to play like Alex. Never worked. I got into high school, tried to develop a similar sound, friends alike, but Zilch! Neil Pert, Charlie Watts , Stewart Copeland , I mean had there own sound what using Tama.
    My whole point of this thread is to get your feedback. I mean We've beat up the issue on Eddie's followers. We've bashed Mike. We hopped for Dave's return. We praised Eddie and Mike. We've started the Sammy v. Dave threads and shitted on Gary for like 5 years already. So to this I say, and mods filter out the poison of grunge finding it's way in here. Cause there is to me only 1 drummer on the face of this earth, that carries out the back bone of this foresakin band, and by far this dude gets hardly any credit. I don't mean that in a good or bad way. I just feel since we've given so much attention to the drama of everything else, why don't we talk about that dude on the skins. That man who used to set the Drums on Fire! The Man in his own right has declared himself one of the best (not taking anything away from John Bonham) drummers of all time.

I don't think over the years with all the new metal, rock, alternative rock, new bands coming up, really understand the true sound that one puts into playing the drums. I mean I've seen these house bands and club bands with my 17 year old and his friends. I saw some at the paladium in Hollywood. I've got to be honest. These kids were just making noise. I mean hideous noise that wasn't even tolerable. It sounded like shit in a nut shell! I hope this doesn't end up in a bashing match for musicians on this board. I'm just stating clearly that if there was ever a follower out there, who came after Alex, well I have yet to hear that sound. So, with all that said, with respect, irregardless of all the other bullshit slinging on the boards, I give you the greatest Rock and Roll drummer---Drunk or Sober Mr. Alex Van Halen
    "WHOOOOOOOOO BIG AL!!!"
    My opinion only folks
    disclaimer on the bottom.

Opps! that's my sig sorry Brett
    All songs written and performed by:

Edward Van Halen: Lead Guitars, Backround vocals
    Sammy Hagar: Lead Vocals, Acoustic/Guitars
    Michael Anthony: Bass/ Backround Vocals
    Alex Van Halen: Drums/Percussions/Back Vocals
    Sammy Hagars solos available on Geffen
    Special Thanks to: Valerie, Wolfie, Sue, Kari,Claudio for introducing the RedRocker to us Al's Harem and kids, Elisha, Taylor, Kama/ all the fans past and present: all recordings done at "5150" where else! A nod and wink to Ed Leffler.
    Irving Azoff/ All the staff at Warner Bros. past and present/ Gary Cherone for giving his all/ David Lee Roth for getting us there and oh yea Ray Daniels, for keeping the bathrooms clean during all the performances. Oh yea, your fucking check is in the mail and next time you whip your bullshit on us again, where taking your ass to Cabo and pounding mud up your ass till you cough up sand for the loss of 8 years. nuff said, IT"S 5150 TIME

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I think your being a big fan of AVH is cool.

Myself, I think he is perfect for VH. Heck, any hard rock band in the late 70s could have went far with him. But there are other drummers that are held in higher regard. He just doesn't dominate the way that Eddie does guitar.

For example, almost every rock drummer I've met idolizes Peart, and they hardly ever mention AVH...except for his intro to HFT.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Blood & Fire
    Last Online

03.13.13 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

John Bonham

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vistadelrey View Post
    John Bonham
    Dave Grohl for his ground breaking work with Kurt Cobain...just kidding

Mike Portnoy

Glenn

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Big Al da man.

The album that stands out for me is WACF with Romeo Delight, Everybody Wants Some, Loss of Control and of course Fools. His drum work is amazing and is definitely a big part of the VH sound.

(Well until VHIII)
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Al is soooo under-rated..Anybody that thinks this guy is average is a fool...
    I find Al's shit harder than Peart's sometimes ....It's so fucking fucked up and crazy I find it fucks me up,but Peart will always be "not bad".......lol....j/k

BTW..I use the word fuck sometimes....I don't think honestly I have the energy to do what Al does....

I love that one drum he used to use ,whatta call it ..the 8 ball....oh yeah....

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I know guys that played in a band with Neil Peart. To me Alex Van Halen is a much better drummer than him! Alex is the best!!!!
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Me wise magic
    Last Online

09.21.11 @ 02:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alex is a f*cking drummer! He's one of my favorites. The other one is (was) Jeff Porcaro (RIP).

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i too hear most drummers talk more about pert than al.

but then, i hear A LOT of drummers replicate pert and I HAVE NEVER heard a drummer be able to actually sound like al.

that is the difference right there. drummers are listening to the mechanics of drumming, not the 'music' of drumming and thats exactly the difference between neil and al. neil is a technician (human drum box) al is a musician.

comparing neil to al is like comparing vai to ed. vai plays circles around ed (ed can't even pretend to get close to vai technically), but then vai is a technician and not a musician.

ditto with neil and al.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You got it right ya lil' bastard....

Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Favorite VH Song

ALL
    Last Online

04.24.17 @ 11:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You guys FUCKIN ROCK....keep it goin

I mean come friends MODS.....ALEX IS DA MAN LETS TALK
    CHAT, CONVERSATE.....He no comparison.....He Rocks when he's in Bocepheus Mode.....

We need the Greatest Drummer Ever.....

Next To Mr. John Henry Bonham...

My time is limite here at work

Sqaul...JMJ Perticelli where are U?
    All songs written and performed by:

Edward Van Halen: Lead Guitars, Backround vocals
    Sammy Hagar: Lead Vocals, Acoustic/Guitars
    Michael Anthony: Bass/ Backround Vocals
    Alex Van Halen: Drums/Percussions/Back Vocals
    Sammy Hagars solos available on Geffen
    Special Thanks to: Valerie, Wolfie, Sue, Kari,Claudio for introducing the RedRocker to us Al's Harem and kids, Elisha, Taylor, Kama/ all the fans past and present: all recordings done at "5150" where else! A nod and wink to Ed Leffler.
    Irving Azoff/ All the staff at Warner Bros. past and present/ Gary Cherone for giving his all/ David Lee Roth for getting us there and oh yea Ray Daniels, for keeping the bathrooms clean during all the performances. Oh yea, your fucking check is in the mail and next time you whip your bullshit on us again, where taking your ass to Cabo and pounding mud up your ass till you cough up sand for the loss of 8 years. nuff said, IT"S 5150 TIME

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I have a deep amount of respect for Big Al...

One of the things my brother, who's a drummer, has "borrowed" from AVH is his cymbal work like riding on the crash... An example would be the chorus of BOBW...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Well, if that's all he notices then he's fucking deaf man.....And trust me I do play......

So,so,underrated .....just don't get you people , ....

I'm sure could play" Witch Hunt" if he wanted to......you're not gettin' the groove man....like tryin' to explain Ed's feel.......ya get it or ya don't.....

Favorite VH Album

The one I'm listenin' to.
    Favorite VH Song

Can't pick just one
    Last Online

01.21.15 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

ALEX IS GOD!!!!!!!!!!!
    ALEX IS GOD!!!

I've been doin' this for 'bout 20 years now, and I'll tell ya, to this day I still don't know the right drumstick from the left drumstick -Alex Van Halen

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Dave
    Last Online

11.16.12 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Al's sound is very distinctive; you can always tell a VH song by the drums. I love it because it's light (guess that's due to his use of the high hat a lot of the time?) but still has a lot of power. It's so fine and classy, and I think his classical music training as a kid (like Ed's) has a lot to do with it. I don't know how he rates in the drumming world, but you guys are saying he's been labeled average to good? I always wondered if Al has ever been jealous of Ed, since Ed has garnered such high praise, even being defined as the greatest or at least in the top 5 since they started as a band, and still obviously, to this day. Then there's the fact that most people don't pay nearly as much attention to drums as they do lead guitar anyway. In the interviews I've seen Al doesn't seem to have any animosity toward Ed, in fact he usually seems very proud of his younger bro.