Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Records Of Free'd Slaves To Go Online

http://www.physorg.com/news81174855.html

Records of Freed Slaves to Go Online

(AP) -- Records the Freedmen's Bureau used to reconnect families - from battered work contracts to bank forms - will be placed online in part of a new project linking modern-day blacks with their ancestors.

The Virginia Freedmen Project plans to digitize more than 200,000 images collected by the Richmond bureau, one of dozens of offices established throughout the South to help former slaves adjust to free life.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine on Thursday unveiled the project and a state marker near the site where the bureau once stood in downtown Richmond.

"This is the equivalent for African Americans of Ellis Island's records being put up," said Kaine, who was joined by Mayor L. Douglas Wilder, the nation's first elected black governor and a grandson of slaves.

Researchers will eventually transfer data from all of the southern states to an online database, said Wayne Metcalfe, vice president of the Genealogical Society of Utah, a partner in the project.

Records from Virginia should be ready to go online by the middle of next year, Metcalfe said.

"It was one of the larger states and one of the most complete collections available," he said. "It's a gold mine, as far as a genealogist is concerned."

About a half-million slaves were left to establish a new life following emancipation, Metcalfe said.

Established in 1865, the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen and Abandoned Lands - also called the Freedmen's Bureau - helped former slaves find clothes, food and jobs.

Bureaus kept meticulous records, documenting marriages and work histories. Those records will be scanned from microfilm and compiled into an electronic index families will eventually be able to access, Metcalfe said.

Twenty-four years removed from slavery in rural Virginia, Hawkins Wilson had established himself as a respected Texas minister. But there was something missing from his life as a free man: the mother and sisters he left behind.

In a letter dated May 11, 1867, he offered bureau officials details of his family's old home in Caroline County, and urged them to pass along a note to his sister, Jane.

"Your little brother Hawkins is trying to find out where you are and where his poor old mother is," reads the letter, which will be included in the database. "Your advice to me to meet you in Heaven has never (lapsed) from my mind."

Historians don't know if he ever found his family.

---

On the Net:

Genealogical Society of Utah, http://www.gensocietyofutah.org
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Samsung Developes First 50nm DRAM Chip

http://www.physorg.com/printnews.php?newsid=80838245

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, announced today that it has developed the industry’s first 50-nanometer (nm) DDR2 DRAM (dynamic random access memory) chip, which will increase production efficiency from the 60nm level by 55 percent. The new 1-gigabit (Gb) DRAM incorporates advanced technologies such as three-dimensional (3D) transistor design and multi-layered dielectric technology, which greatly enhance performance and data storage capabilities.

“With the 50nm DRAM development, we’re continuing our technology leadership, paving the way for our customers to reap not only greater cost efficiencies but also to make superior products,” said Nam Yong Cho, executive vice president of memory sales & marketing at Samsung Electronics’ Semiconductor business.

Key to the exceptional production efficiencies in the newly developed 50nm process is the use of a selective epitaxial growth transistor (SEG Tr). This 3D transistor has a broader electron channel that optimizes the speed of each chip’s electrons to reduce power consumption and enable higher performance.

Continued miniaturization of the overall memory circuit and an increasingly limited area of coverage within a wafer cell make it much harder to secure and sustain sufficient volumes of electrons. Adding to the 50nm design improvements, the SEG transistor introduces a multi-layered dielectric layer (ZrO2/Al2O3/ZrO2) to resolve weak electrical features. In addition, the new dielectric layer sustains higher volumes of electron to increase storage capacity, ensuring higher reliability in storing data.

Further, Samsung’s proprietary RCAT (Recess Channel Array Transistor) technology - a fundamental 3D transistor technology which received the best paper award at the VLSI symposia in 2003 - also has been adapted to work well with Samsung’s 50nm DRAM process. The RCAT, which effectively doubles the refresh term of DRAM, is a critical technology supporting higher scalability for DRAM regardless of chip size ? a key feature for enabling circuitry beyond 50nms.

The 1 Gb 50nm chip encompasses three generations of DRAM technology (70nm, 60nm and 50nm) in achieving the most advanced level yet for DRAM mass production.

Samsung’s new 50nm process technology can be applied to a broad range of DRAM chips including graphics and mobile DRAM. With mass production slated for 2008, the 50nm DRAM chip is well positioned to become the mainstay of a DRAM market that is expected to account for US $55 billion by 2011.

Source: Samsung
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    (dynamic random access memory)
    Wow that's the best way to describe my garbage can called "head"!

Cool news actually, I love breakthru's and how PC game-world reacts to them - except I'd need dynamic random motherboard with dynamic random CPU cooler to get these totally random chips installed.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.03.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, this thread pisses me off to no end. I went to school for history (and have really hit race relations hard after school) and build computers for extra cash.

How the hell can I respond here?!?!?!???

Was there some sort of error?

EDIT: AND, I am a huge fan of Samsung. I have drives, memory, DVD players, etc.
    Axx, I truly believe you will go to hell for this.

EDIT: Back again. I forgot to mention new tech is crap as there is never compatibility with it for about 2 years. But still...
    Last edited by JCJanko; 10.28.06 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Samsung
    Go Bills and Sabres!

We're NOT Lawyers! www.werenotlawyers.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ooops!

The Samsung thing was supposed to be a seperate thread. That's what happens when you post from work.

My Blog:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.03.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Ooops!

The Samsung thing was supposed to be a seperate thread. That's what happens when you post from work.
    Now...I must kill you. Please just accept your fate.
    Go Bills and Sabres!

We're NOT Lawyers! www.werenotlawyers.com