Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.27.16 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The Killers

I'm not sure if there's a thread regarding The Killers or a review from last nights concert but I just wanted to chime in and say INCREDIBLE! This band from Vegas is something special!

This band will obviously not appeal to everyone but those of us who grew up to the likes of New Order, Depeche Mode and even an influence from The Cure, Echo & The Bunnymen, and The Jesus and Mary chain.

I went with a few friends from work and thankfully from a connection at work we were put on the guest list. Otherwise from what I heard tickets for last nights performance were selling for $300 each! There was quite the lineup outside waiting for tickets at will-call and we didn't have to wait in that mess, thank God!

As for the concert, the place was jammed and a band called theTin Bangs opened, they were nothing special. Then The Killers took to the stage at around 10:45 (quite the long wait!) and the crowd went ballistic! From what I remember they played basically EVERYTHING from 'Hot Fuss' including a personal favorite of mine from that cd, 'Jenny Was a Friend of Mine’! The crowd was really into the performance and lead singer Brandon Flowers did appreciate the fact the crowd knew the lyrics to the new material considering the short time the music has been out saying "Thank you, this has been the best show yet." They played every song from Sam's Town except 'This River Is Wild'. They came back for a few encores and to sum it up they played for about an hr and 15 minutes. Considering the new cd is only around 45 minutes tops, they did play pretty much everything and a few indie tunes. They were very tight and the maturity and success of this band in such a short time is scary!

This band is going to be HUGE if they aren't there already! It was nice to see a band like this perform in such an intimate setting especially this early in their career. Sooner or later they won't perform in venues like this (special club gigs) or play the same tunes like they did last night and that's only standard with bands that succeed later on down the road.

They are certainly becoming one of my favorite new bands!

A real gem of a performance!
    Last edited by Bono Vox; 10.21.06 at 11:29 AM.
    Bono Vox: Poetic, Political, extremely generous and just a tiny bit egomaniacal.

"You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

"Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

"This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

"“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009

~Congratulations to 2009 World Series Champions the New York Yankees~

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Meh.

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 05:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like a damn good show. I'm a fan of theirs and am really hoping that they'll schedule a show in my area, but I doubt it. I haven't had time to go out and pick up the new album yet but I can't wait.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

"What doesn’t kill you, will only make you pissed off!"
    -Alexi Laiho

"If I know I'm going crazy...I must not be insane." -Dave Mustaine

"Simpson, QUICK! Honk at that broad." -Mayor Quimby

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LoveWalkinIn View Post
    Sounds like a damn good show. I'm a fan of theirs and am really hoping that they'll schedule a show in my area, but I doubt it. I haven't had time to go out and pick up the new album yet but I can't wait.
    Yes it was a special evening for a band showing that hunger and confidence knowing they're headed to the top!

With only 2 cd's and an indie release, the second release is GREAT and it gets better with each listen.

I hope you get the chance to see this band in your city!
    Bono Vox: Poetic, Political, extremely generous and just a tiny bit egomaniacal.

"You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

"Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

"This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

"“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009

Last Online

11.22.07 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've given this band a lot of listens, have bought both cds and just can't get into them. I had a chance to see them a few weeks ago at The Wiltern Theater in LA (my favorite venue) and I just couldn't convince myself to go. I do like their energy, especially on the "Sams Town" album but frankly, they hammer home every early Bruce Springsteen/Jim Steinman (Meatloaf's chief writer) style rock cliche in the book and the cheesy, dated keyboard sound and the singer's overwrought vocals on many tunes is a real deal breaker for me. A lot of tunes vear perilously close to parodying rock n' roll cliches the same way The Darkness did. The thing is, everyone knew The Darkness was doing it on purpose. They show a lot of promise but they really need to grow and mature musically big time. but hey, if John Mellencamp can outgrow his cheesy pop roots and put out solid, mature music, anyone can.

IMO, they're to Springsteen what Journey is to Led Zeppelin.

BTW, I just do *not* see any Jesus and Mary Chain (a favorite band of mine) comparisons.

T.B.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Why would you "buy" their cd's when you can base judgment on this band from radio or hearing their music on the net? I usually buy a cd from a band if I'm convinced the music is real and I'll enjoy the rest of their music.

I certainly don't hear Springsteen (I'm a huge Boss fan) in their music or any influence since they're compared to early new wave/ synth bands and their bio suggests that including singer Brandon Flowers. Any comparison to The Darkness (who are so overrated!) is ludicrous considering they're music is so different and nowhere near being a synth band.

The Jesus and Mary Chain were alternative and The Killers have been compared to the classic alternative bands of the past including those 'noise pop' groups.

For a band that was named after a New Order song is far from being a journey meets Zep band.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bono Vox View Post
    Why would you "buy" their cd's when you can base judgment on this band from radio or hearing their music on the net? I usually buy a cd from a band if I'm convinced the music is real and I'll enjoy the rest of their music.

I certainly don't hear Springsteen (I'm a huge Boss fan) in their music or any influence since they're compared to early new wave/ synth bands and their bio suggests that including singer Brandon Flowers. Any comparison to The Darkness (who are so overrated!) is ludicrous considering they're music is so different and nowhere near being a synth band.

The Jesus and Mary Chain were alternative and The Killers have been compared to the classic alternative bands of the past including those 'noise pop' groups.

For a band that was named after a New Order song is far from being a journey meets Zep band.

Let me take your questions and comments one at a time:

First off, I "buy" cds even of artists I'm not sure I'll like even in this day and age because I can hear a difference between a lo-res MP3 or other lossy sound file vs a full bitrate wav file. I also like getting a physical disc and packaging and being able to pop the disc in my car cd player right after I buy it instead of dealing with burning a cdr. I make more impulse buys browsing a music store verse going through online purchasing. I like the fact that I'm supporting the artist with my purchase if I'm going to bother listening to their music. And if the cd really stinks, I can resell it either online or at a used record store and get some of my money back.

As for the Springsteen comparison, you obviously are unfamiliar with his early 70's work. Go listen to "Born to Run" or "Greetings From Asbury Park, NJ" and you'll see the direct inspiration for a lot of Flower's lyrics and the band's overall musical inspiration.

Regarding the comparison to The Darkness, I wasn't talking about musical styles, but the fact that both bands recycle their influences (The Darkness "borrowing" from AC/DC and other hard rock bands) to the point of being parodies of their inspirations, but as I said, at least The Darkness did it with a wink and a smile and the listener knew it was a joke.

The JAMC comparison was regarding musical styles which the two bands are 180 degrees apart. Not to mention, TJAMC *were* revolutionary and ahead of their time. The Killer's are purely retro, dressing up old rock cliches with today's production. There's nothing about The Killer's that's "alternative" unless that overused term now applies to anyone who actually plays their instruments.

And lastly, the Journey/Led Zep comparison was meant to mean The Killers are a watered down version of far greater, more innovative earlier influences. Maybe I should have used a more "modern" comparison like The Killers are to 70's "earnest" rock n' roll what Coldplay is to U2. A well meaning, decent band but nothing like the great band(s) they aspire to be.

T.B.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You’re confusing me more with each post and considering you’re not a fan of The Killers stop trying to make a verdict about what their music “isn’t”!

As far as buying cd’s from artists you may not like (that’s more confusing then comparing The Killers to Bruce) I don’t know many people that would go out and browse the local HMV and just pick up a cd from an artist that make likely not appeal to them. Forget about the quality of the product, if a song is good it’ll sound good in any format.

You don’t have to educate me on Springsteen I know his music well and I’ve followed his career since the early 80’s. But to compare The Killers to early Springsteen is insane and way off! For starters, Flowers wasn’t even born when Bruce released ‘Born To Run’ and why would a kid who was born in Vegas have an inspiration or influence with The Boss who hails from Jersey? Again, Flowers has said he was inspired by the band New Order a big difference from a guy who sings about the swamps of Jersey. Having said that I’m aware Bruce had an influence on the new record but when asked about it, Flowers said he wasn’t the only inspiration for the new record. As for their debut cd, it’s obvious the retro flavor was all over it.

I don’t know how old you are but bands like New Order, Echo & the Bunnymen , The Cure, Sugarcubes and even the Beloved are reminiscent of The Killers and how finally someone has brought that music back to life. As for Coldplay, they’re not even in the same league as U2 and never will be!

You’re entitled to your opinion but The Killers are a breath of fresh air in comparison to the crap that’s on the radio or on the charts for that matter. The concert was awesome in Toronto and if anything, you missed a memorable performance right there in your own backyard.

Cheers.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypso View Post
    IMO, they're to Springsteen what Journey is to Led Zeppelin.

BTW, I just do *not* see any Jesus and Mary Chain (a favorite band of mine) comparisons.

T.B.
    Journey has their own sound, totally different than Led Zeppelin. I don't see why you would compare those two bands.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Forget about the quality of the product, if a song is good it’ll sound good in any format.
    Damn straight, I own all of the albums of my favorite bands yet I keep then just for the collection, I can't be bothered with opening/closing cases and blah blah when I have a huge playlist in Winamp.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You’re confusing me more with each post and considering you’re not a fan of The Killers stop trying to make a verdict about what their music “isn’t”!
    I'm sorry. I'll try to keep my comments around the level of "Yeah, they're wicked cool" or "Yuck, they suck" from now on to keep your head from exploding.

T.B.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Sorry..Although I haven't heard much off the new record yet, I don't hear the Springsteen influence at all. Perhaps there's some lyrical comparisions that I'm missing.... I always thought they stole Duran Duran's sound and punched it up a bit.

Hot Fuss was a great record. Would love to see them live.

ok.. I just went through the Hot Fuss lyrics.. I can see a couple of comparisons, but I wouldn't have pegged it to Bruce influence, myself.. interesting..
    Last edited by Wickett; 10.23.06 at 10:43 AM.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Last Online

03.25.16 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Did anyone else read the quote form Brandon Flowers saying how Sam's Town was the one of the best if not best releases in the last 20 years? I'm paraphrasing so I'm sorry if I got it wrong but I thought that's what he said.

That arrogance and his silly mustache are turning me off of this band. But who cares what I think? I'm glad you had a good time Bono, that's what it is all about

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Alright...anyone diggin' The Killers' new album, Day And Age? I bought it one week after it came out and about three weeks ago I became completely obsessed with it. Great album.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Alright...anyone diggin' The Killers' new album, Day And Age? I bought it one week after it came out and about three weeks ago I became completely obsessed with it. Great album.
    I'll probably buy the cd and give it a shot, but I was very unimpressed with whatever the hell the singer was wearing in the video for the first single. Listened to the first album a good bit, bought the second one but did not spin it much.