Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Default High School Football - I dont get it! Why is it such a big deal in some places??

I know that in some places HS Football is HUGE!! I don't get it, why? The movie Friday Night Lights was a good movie I enjoyed it, I still don't understand why a entire city would follow a HS Football program with such passion. I have seen a few documentaries about towns that are so over the top about the local HS football team that the entire town shuts down on Friday nights. One show I saw was about a team I think in Massilon,Ohio, the team mascot was the Tigers. It was really kind of pathetic, they voted down new books but voted in a multi million dollar stadium and all new uniforms. The Coach of the tigers makes more than the HS Principal. MTV has a new show called "Two a Days", its all about this HS Football team and there family's. These guys are a good football team but I don't think they deserve a TV show. The coach of this team (Rush Probst) is a total fucking retard. This guy thinks he is Mike fucking Ditka, I would love to slap this guy upside the head and remind him its only HS Football. AT one point he reminds the players that HE HOLDS THE CARDS TO THERE FUTURE. He decides who goes to college by letting scouts know who is good and who is bad!!
    This one kid (Repeat) and his family actually moved so that he could play football with this team. The of course are banking everything on the hopes that Repeat will make it to the pro's. So far only one of these kids has actually received a offer from a NCAA school.

I honestly don't fucking get it.

Do these people realize that the chances of there son actually becoming a NFL player so slim its not even funny.

I saw a stat on how many kids actually will make it to any professional sport, I think it was lower than 1%.

I went to High School with a few guys that became professional athletes.

Kerry Conklin - QB for the Redskins and a few other teams, Full ride to the UW. Didn't do anything in the NFL. This guy was the most recruited High School quarter back in the nation his senior year. Big man on campus. The guy is kind of a prick.

Kurt Schultz - Free safety for the Bills for about 8 years. I have know Kurt since Kindergarten, natural athlete, good at everything he did. Played one year of HS Football and got a free ride to Eastern WA University. One of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Scott Hatteberg - baseball player, drafted right out of high School. Scott played with many major league teams and is still in the league. I think he play's for the A's now. Baseball was his life, he played it year round.

I have not been to a High School football game since I graduated High School and don't really plan on it unless I have kids that play or cheer lead.
    For those of you that are in a town that is obsessed with HS Football please explain.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some of these areas.....there is literally nothing else to do. No professional sports team to follow, so they follow there local high school.
    I know its not football, but while I was in high school we played some team in northern California (sorry came remember the name), but their gym looked like it was in the middle of a frickin' corn field. But we we got inside the gym....it was packed with the entire town. I would guess close to 4000 people. That's a helluva a lot for a high school basketball game. But those 4000 people probably made up the whole town.
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    Scott Hatteberg - baseball player, drafted right out of high School. Scott played with many major league teams and is still in the league. I think he play's for the A's now. Baseball was his life, he played it year round.
    It's interesting you mentioned Scott Hatteberg...

I've never met him, but I sold his wife their new appliances for the house they're remodelling in Gig Harbor this past summer. She was a very nice gal and not arrogant or stuck up in the least bit. In fact, when I asked what her husband did for work, she hesitated and sheepishly said he plays Major League Baseball. Nice gal and pretty cute...

Getting back to the topic at hand now...

I think HS Football is so huge in some places is because there is nothing else going on so football is the big deal... I also saw how Olympia was getting when Jonathan Stewart (who now is a star at University of Oregon) and the hype surrounding him. I guess it's town pride or something...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

High school football here is a moderately big deal. It gets its own segment on the news on Friday night and bumps Letterman back about 30 mins. I think its neat the kids get to be on TV, but when you first move here everybody's reaction is "what the hell is this!?!?!"

I think it might be because until 20 years ago, there were really no pro sports here. I think this is why college sports are such a big deal around here too.

Me - I'm not that big of a football fan on any level. I sorta follow the wins and losses every week the same way I follow the stock market.
    Last edited by nitefly5150; 10.19.06 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to specify it was only on the news on Friday (then forgot to specify reason for editing)

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

The high school I went to, didn't even have a football team.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

OMG... growing up in Texas.... HS football is THE thing. Still is. Our news channel here even has an hour long program Friday nights on HS football. Most of the raido stations broadcast the local games live. Forget hearing good music on Fri nights! Pee Wee is just as big where I am. My daughter is cheering for the team for the first time and you wouldn't believe all the people who come out for these things!
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Poundcake View Post
    OMG... growing up in Texas.... HS football is THE thing. Still is. Our news channel here even has an hour long program Friday nights on HS football. Most of the raido stations broadcast the local games live. Forget hearing good music on Fri nights! Pee Wee is just as big where I am. My daughter is cheering for the team for the first time and you wouldn't believe all the people who come out for these things!

I've heard that football is a way of life out in Texas.

Middle of Tornado/earthquake alley.... so confused!!!
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

07.22.17 @ 01:18 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

geesh.. can't spell... I ment Radio...
    http://www.myspace.com/texaschic22
    It's private.. but if you at least say who you are from VH links I will add ya!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

I feel much the same way about college football as well. Couldn't tell you what the Sanford Redskins have done since 1982 (hell, can't even remember what they did in '82 anymore!) and about all I can tell you about UMO is that their nickname is the Black Bears!

And it's been a long time since anyone worth a shit came out of Maine!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

My high school team sucked, and shit half the school was bused in from Compton. Nobody went to the games, we were awful. Apparently years after I left, the school got really good somehow and won a couple LA City titles. In fact Steve Smith of USC went to my high school was an All-American at Taft...but man they sucked when I was there.

I never really got the high school football thing either, but maybe that's because we were never good.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    My high school team sucked, and shit half the school was bused in from Compton. Nobody went to the games, we were awful. Apparently years after I left, the school got really good somehow and won a couple LA City titles. In fact Steve Smith of USC went to my high school was an All-American at Taft...but man they sucked when I was there.

I never really got the high school football thing either, but maybe that's because we were never good.

What's funny is that the high school I went to was in fact very good. We have quite a few guys that actually went to USC and other schools and on to the NFL. Here is a list of them:

ADRIAN YOUNG 1963 PHILADELPHIA
    PAT HADEN 1971 LOS ANGELES RAMS
    JOHN MCKAY, JR. 1971 TAMPA BAY
    JOHN SCIARRA 1972 PHILADELPHIA
    BRIAN KELLY 1974 CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE
    PAUL MCDONALD 1976 DALLAS
    ARNOLD FIELDS 1981 PITTSBURGH
    RON BROWN 1982 LOS ANGELES RAIDERS
    RANDY TANNER 1983 NEW YORK JETS
    DERECK TAYLOR 1983 CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE
    JOHN JACKSON 1984 ST. LOUIS RAMS
    ERIC BIENIEMY 1986 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
    TROY AUZENNE 1986 INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
    CHARLES FRALEY 1986 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
    MAZIO ROYSTER 1987 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
    SCOTT FIELDS 1991 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
    DAYLON MCCUTCHEON 1994 CLEVELAND BROWNS (ACTIVE)
    KORY MINOR 1994 CAROLINA PANTHERS
    RALPH BROWN 1995 NEW YORK JETS (ACTIVE)
    BRIAN RUSSEL 1995 MINNESOTA VIKINGS (ACTIVE)
    JOEY GETHERALL 1996 MIAMI DOLPHINS (ACTIVE)

Now even though the list is that big, football still doesn't carry the same weight in SoCal or anywhere else in the state for that matter as in Texas or alot of other places in the country.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:51 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by valdez44 View Post
    Some of these areas.....there is literally nothing else to do. No professional sports team to follow, so they follow there local high school.
    I know its not football, but while I was in high school we played some team in northern California (sorry came remember the name), but their gym looked like it was in the middle of a frickin' corn field. But we we got inside the gym....it was packed with the entire town. I would guess close to 4000 people. That's a helluva a lot for a high school basketball game. But those 4000 people probably made up the whole town.
    Where I went to college in Iowa, everything stopped for the "Friday Night Lights" You would think it was a national holiday or something.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    I've heard that football is a way of life out in Texas.
    It is. Especially in west Texas.

There is relatively little to do since it is 200-300 miles from any large city.
    Odessa has 80,000-100,000 people and 2 high schools(Odessa High is overshadowed by Permian). And there are alot of people who never leave, so when their boys get to 'that age' it is a legacy type of situation. And it perpetuates itself.

I moved to Odessa in the 7th grade, so I hadn't had the football life pounded into me nearly as bed as the kids I was in school with. But it is hard not to get wrapped up in it while there. I played 1 year in jr. high but I did not have the desire necessary to do well, so I quit and started smoking dope and playing w/ cars. But I still went to the games and was friends w/ the guys on the team.

The sad thing is that Permian players are rarely successful past high school. Roy Williams is the only player in the NFL (I think). College programs are usually a let down because being a hero at Permian doesn't mean shit at the college level.

I do go home once every 2 years, and I do try to go to a game when
    I'm there. But I don't follow the team and haven't since I left.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Onefoot, you went to Bishop Amat didn't you?

Only guy I can think of off hand that went to my high school and ever became anything in the NFL was Jeff Fisher.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Onefoot, you went to Bishop Amat didn't you?

Only guy I can think of off hand that went to my high school and ever became anything in the NFL was Jeff Fisher.

Yes I did. If you went to Taft (I think that is where you said) then at least you have Ice Cube.