Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default Scientists create new element

Scientists create new element
    POSTED: 11:11 a.m. EDT, October 17, 2006

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Revisiting one of physics' most embarrassing cases of scientific misconduct, researchers from Russia and the United States announced Monday that they have created a new super-heavy element, atomic number 118.

Scientists said they smashed together calcium with the manmade element Californium to make an atom with 118 protons in its nucleus. The new element lasted for just one millisecond, but it was the heaviest element ever made and the first manmade inert gas -- the atomic family that includes helium, neon and radon.

If confirmed, the still-unnamed element would be placed beneath radon on the periodic table of elements, said Ken Moody of the Lawrence Livermore National Lab in California, which was joined on the project by Russia's Joint Institute of Nuclear Research.

The findings were published in the journal Physical Review C. The same research team has created four other elements.

The experiment recalled an earlier attempt to create the same element.

In 1999, scientists said they created element 118, only to withdraw their claims in 2002 amid charges of falsified data and the firing of a scientist. That group of researchers included three from the team that announced Monday's discovery.

This time, Moody said, safeguards were adopted to minimize the possibility that just one scientist held critical data.

Yale University physics professor Richard Casten, an associate editor of the physics journal, said the latest work was subject to intense scrutiny "because of the sensitivity of the issue."

Casten said such new elements are not discoveries until they are confirmed by other scientists. That may take several years, Moody said.

The element was created last year in Russia using a minuscule amount of Californium provided by the Americans. After a millisecond, it decayed into element 114, then into element 112 and then split in half, Moody said.

Creating a new element "is sort of the Holy Grail of nuclear physics," said Konrad Gelbke, a scientist who was not on the team but directs the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory at Michigan State University. "It's extremely hard to do."

Moody said the new element will not be named until it is approved by an international association of chemists. Elements 113, 114, 115, and 116 are still unnamed.

What's the point of creating an element if it only lasts a fraction of a millisecond?
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Heavy. It's like trying to create a new letter for the alphabet. Try it with friends.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Moody said the new element will not be named until it is approved by an international association of chemists. Elements 113, 114, 115, and 116 are still unnamed.
    Suggested names:

Van Haleium

Smoking Loonenyte

Micheal Anthonyte

Felonium

Rothodine

Don Landium

Pasadenium
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mistere View Post
    Heavy. It's like trying to create a new letter for the alphabet. Try it with friends.

I've spent many years with a blender, a supply of ice and a variety of liquor. Believe me, it's hard. Worse, even on the handful of ocations when I succeeded I couldn't read my "lab" notes or remember what I did the previous night or why my cat was wearing my boxer shorts.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen View Post
    Scientists create new element
    POSTED: 11:11 a.m. EDT, October 17, 2006

What's the point of creating an element if it only lasts a fraction of a millisecond?

Its huge actually.The reasons it lasted a millisecond is very important as well. There are ways to find out how to make it last longer, etc and this leads to the value of the element, scientifically.

Also, creating a new element is an ego trip..we're human, not God...

Depending on the resulting properties of the element, who knows what they'll have discovered? Could become the base for a fuel that is cheap and easy and allow us to travel light speed..? who knows?
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by perticelli View Post
    Could become the base for a fuel that is cheap and easy and allow us to travel light speed..? who knows?

That, my friend, is the reason.

I'm still waiting on someone to say they've discovered antimatter.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    That, my friend, is the reason.

I'm still waiting on someone to say they've discovered antimatter.
    Antimatter Discovered – Carl Anderson (1932)

Finally, antimatter was observed in a scientific setting by a researcher named Carl Anderson. Anderson was studying the tracks produced by cosmic rays in a cloud chamber. He did this by applying a magnetic field to the chamber, which would cause ionizing particles passing through it to curve in circular paths. By measuring the curvature of these tracks, he was able to calculate the momentum of the particle creating the track and the polarity of the charge on the particle. Anderson took photos of the tracks produced by the particles created by cosmic rays and was stunned by the result. Cosmic rays produced showers of negatively and positively charged particles, but the two polarities of tracks produced by the particles showed the same droplet density. If the positive particle was a proton, its track should have been much denser than the negatively charged electron. Anderson thought the positively charged particles might have been electrons traveling in the opposite direction, and to test this he inserted a lead plate into the middle of the cloud chamber. When the path of a particle goes through the lead plate, the particle loses energy, which allows its path to be confirmed. In 1932, Anderson took a picture of a positively charged electron passing through the lead plate. The positron was discovered.

Since Anderson’s historic experiment, many other antiparticles have been discovered, including the antiproton and antineutron. In 1995, antihydrogen was created. The existence of antimatter can no longer be denied. Now, it is up to future generations to study antimatter and exploit its useful properties. This concludes the history of antimatter, and in a later installment, I will discuss antimatter directly. Join us then, same bat channel, same bat time.

Antimatter goes back a long way. Particle Physicists are the men and women who spend their lives studying the physics of very small particles, smaller than an atom. They discovered antimatter in the 1930's. Over the last half century, they have made and stored about one tenth of a billionth of a gram. This is not very much.

In WW2, the big bombs were called "block-busters" - because they could destroy a whole city block. These bombs carried roughly 20 tonnes of TNT. Then came the atomic bombs. They were about 1,000 times more destructive - equivalent to about 20,000 tonnes of TNT. The next big "improvement" were the H-bombs. They were 1,000 times more powerful than the atom bombs - about 20,00,000 tonnes of TNT. Antimatter bombs will be about 1,000 times more powerful again.

source: Duke University

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hatchetforce View Post
    Antimatter Discovered – Carl Anderson (1932)

Finally, antimatter was observed in a scientific setting by a researcher named Carl Anderson. Anderson was studying the tracks produced by cosmic rays in a cloud chamber. He did this by applying a magnetic field to the chamber, which would cause ionizing particles passing through it to curve in circular paths. By measuring the curvature of these tracks, he was able to calculate the momentum of the particle creating the track and the polarity of the charge on the particle. Anderson took photos of the tracks produced by the particles created by cosmic rays and was stunned by the result. Cosmic rays produced showers of negatively and positively charged particles, but the two polarities of tracks produced by the particles showed the same droplet density. If the positive particle was a proton, its track should have been much denser than the negatively charged electron. Anderson thought the positively charged particles might have been electrons traveling in the opposite direction, and to test this he inserted a lead plate into the middle of the cloud chamber. When the path of a particle goes through the lead plate, the particle loses energy, which allows its path to be confirmed. In 1932, Anderson took a picture of a positively charged electron passing through the lead plate. The positron was discovered.

Since Anderson’s historic experiment, many other antiparticles have been discovered, including the antiproton and antineutron. In 1995, antihydrogen was created. The existence of antimatter can no longer be denied. Now, it is up to future generations to study antimatter and exploit its useful properties. This concludes the history of antimatter, and in a later installment, I will discuss antimatter directly. Join us then, same bat channel, same bat time.

Antimatter goes back a long way. Particle Physicists are the men and women who spend their lives studying the physics of very small particles, smaller than an atom. They discovered antimatter in the 1930's. Over the last half century, they have made and stored about one tenth of a billionth of a gram. This is not very much.

In WW2, the big bombs were called "block-busters" - because they could destroy a whole city block. These bombs carried roughly 20 tonnes of TNT. Then came the atomic bombs. They were about 1,000 times more destructive - equivalent to about 20,000 tonnes of TNT. The next big "improvement" were the H-bombs. They were 1,000 times more powerful than the atom bombs - about 20,00,000 tonnes of TNT. Antimatter bombs will be about 1,000 times more powerful again.

source: Duke University
    Well, slap me twice and call me Shirley.
    Quint- Boat Captain

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "

Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Well, slap me twice and call me Shirley.
    Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
    Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hatchetforce View Post
    Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious.
    Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

Roger..Oveur
    Quint- Boat Captain

Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Roger..Oveur
    Filthy...Do you like movies about antimatter?

Seriously though, Pert hit it on the head. So, it only lasted a millisecond. They got enough readings and data from that millisecond to allow them to work for years towards a goal of??? Who knows. We could be Marching to Mars soon for the ultimate VH reunion.
    Last edited by InTheBeginning; 10.20.06 at 02:30 PM.
    A little more volume in the headphones please.