Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Anyone own a Rickenbacker?

I'm looking for a sweet rhythm guitar, and lately have been intriuged by the jangle and tone of americana of the Rickenbackers...Tom Petty, Roger McGuinn tones.

Anyone have good or bad experience with this brand? How are the newer models as compared to the older ones? From what I can tell, they're all made in America and built with quality...
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.14.13 @ 05:16 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by m e a n s t r e e t View Post
    I'm looking for a sweet rhythm guitar, and lately have been intriuged by the jangle and tone of americana of the Rickenbackers...Tom Petty, Roger McGuinn tones
    Aren't Rickenbackers made in Europe?
    I'm cool.

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy is Cool View Post
    Aren't Rickenbackers made in Europe?
    Their corporate headquarters is in California, not sure if that means the product is made here or not, but I thnik from the bit of history I read about them at their website, they are USA made.

I have never even played one, take that back, I strummed a used one at GC once, didn't even plug it in cuz' some brat was making an awful sound with an Ibanez, and an incredible amount of distortion.

They certainly seem to have a sound all their own. Certainly a high end guitar, and I know for a fact, they hold their own on the resale market.....I have priced a few on Ebay and have always been pissed about the fact that there are no good deals on them. Good luck.
    Last edited by againstthewind; 10.16.06 at 01:43 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Nah, their made in the USA. It's a strange company, they recently dumped Guitar Center because of some dispute over their guitar cases. I played a 650C a while back, it's was great. I love them because their so different, and the quality control is outstanding.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

i like the way they sound, but man, theyre uglier than sin.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by againstthewind View Post
    .....I have priced a few on Ebay and have always been pissed about the fact that there are no good deals on them. Good luck.
    Same here...most run over $1200 which, in all honesty, may be worth the price. But where have all the deals gone??? Global competition sucks!
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by m e a n s t r e e t View Post
    Same here...most run over $1200 which, in all honesty, may be worth the price. But where have all the deals gone??? Global competition sucks!
    Yeah, it blows my mind, especially with the Ric's. Wolfgangs are at least out of production now, so I can understand. I actually saw a Gibson SG 61' reissue, that was a year old, that sold for just over a grand on Ebay last week. Deals like that are hard to come by. I did just purchase a Peavey Delta Blues amp for 310$ on Ebay, thought that was a pretty sweet deal, they are 599$ on MF. But certain guitars, Les Pauls, Ric's, they just hold their value really, really, well. I think it is all just supply and demand, folks are willing to pay that much for a used item, then that is how it will be.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Another (and much cheaper) option might be a Line 6 Variax. It has Rickenbacker 6 and 12 string presets that sound absolutely authentic if it's the distinctive sound you're after rather than the look or feel. You also get all those other solids, semis and acoustics that come with the Variax as well. The 300 is the cheapest in the line, but the higher models are built to a better standard.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America