Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default Prototype Wolfgang on Letterman



    I just watched this performance of "Not Enough" on Letterman in '95. Eddie was playing one of his prototype Wolfgangs, and I believe they were first made out of poplar before they decided to go with basswood like the EBMM. It was cool to see Ed playing it so well and to hear Letterman call VH "without a doubt one of the great rock and roll bands in the world."

  2. #2
    Sinner's Swing! emm5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.25.04
    Location
    Scranton, Pa.
    Posts
    3,106
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    07.13.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net


    I just watched this performance of "Not Enough" on Letterman in '95. Eddie was playing one of his prototype Wolfgangs, and I believe they were first made out of poplar before they decided to go with basswood like the EBMM. It was cool to see Ed playing it so well and to hear Letterman call VH "without a doubt one of the great rock and roll bands in the world."
    You could give Ed a tree branch with some fishing line and he'd make it sound beautiful.....he's the shit!

  3. #3
    Baluchitherium loveevhsince79's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.22.04
    Location
    Cols, OH
    Posts
    5,420
    Last Online

    10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emm5150
    You could give Ed a tree branch with some fishing line and he'd make it sound beautiful.....he's the shit!
    I like that and I do agree, the man could make anything sound good.

  4. #4
    Hot For Teacher tahoewabo's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.20.04
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    233
    Last Online

    10.19.10 @ 04:18 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Those were the days.

  5. #5
    Little Dreamer
    Join Date
    04.02.04
    Posts
    35
    Last Online

    06.25.08 @ 07:09 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Yeah, he could fart in the pickups and it would sound great!!

  6. #6
    5150 A&Z Guitar Repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.23.03
    Age
    45
    Location
    North of STL, MO
    Posts
    602
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

    03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Is it me, or does Ed look healthier and more "normal" then than now?. I realize he's lost alot of weight, and he's had cancer, but he just appears healthy and less "forced" than the current Porno/Flowers Ed.

    Just my .02.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

  7. #7
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair
    Is it me, or does Ed look healthier and more "normal" then than now?. I realize he's lost alot of weight, and he's had cancer, but he just appears healthy and less "forced" than the current Porno/Flowers Ed.

    Just my .02.
    I agree. Also, that was 10 years of hard living ago....
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

    “…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

    - Dewey Cox

  8. #8
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150
    I agree. Also, that was 10 years of hard living ago....
    Yes, that was almost exactly eleven years ago, and Ed's been through a lot since then (some his doing some that of mother nature). I was just looking at some of The Gathering video and photos and thinking he looks TOO thin--like put the cheap wine down and eat a sandwich, eh?

  9. #9
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net
    Yes, that was almost exactly eleven years ago, and Ed's been through a lot since then (some his doing some that of mother nature). I was just looking at some of The Gathering video and photos and thinking he looks TOO thin--like put the cheap wine down and eat a sandwich, eh?
    No shit. He's thinner than he was back in the 70's! Sickly thin. I swear I'm amazed at the fact that he can strap on a guitar without the weight of it snapping him in half at the waist!
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

    “…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

    - Dewey Cox

  10. #10
    Forum Frontman Double Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.10.05
    Age
    49
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    17,911
    Favorite VH Album

    ('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

    11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Likes
    538
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair
    Is it me, or does Ed look healthier and more "normal" then than now?
    File Under: Stating the obvious.

    I have a brand new appreciation for that song after watching that. I've ignored that song for 10 years because I always thought it totally sucked. I was wrong, that's a very good tune.
    .
    .
    .
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

  11. #11
    Eruption guitar08man's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.16.03
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,130
    Last Online

    07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Down
    File Under: Stating the obvious.
    THIS JUST IN: AGE CAN NEGATIVLEY AFFECT OVERALL APPEARANCE!

  12. #12
    Banned! againstthewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.16.05
    Location
    Fishing is therapy, I'm in therapy!!
    Posts
    962
    Last Online

    05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Down
    File Under: Stating the obvious.

    I have a brand new appreciation for that song after watching that. I've ignored that song for 10 years because I always thought it totally sucked. I was wrong, that's a very good tune.

    Yeah, that is a quality tune. When was the last time VH put out a quality tune?? Maybe a couple on III, but the stuff that came out on BOBW was subpar. I admit now, I was trying to fool myself at the time, and convince myself that they were at least good tunes,(they were ok at best) but c'mon.....were those really the best riffs Ed could come up with, after all that time?? What happened to the time when the guy would just throw out a riff like TOTW?? Or many others on Balance, or even Humans Being?? Has the well run dry??

  13. #13
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by againstthewind
    Yeah, that is a quality tune. When was the last time VH put out a quality tune?? Maybe a couple on III, but the stuff that came out on BOBW was subpar. I admit now, I was trying to fool myself at the time, and convince myself that they were at least good tunes,(they were ok at best) but c'mon.....were those really the best riffs Ed could come up with, after all that time?? What happened to the time when the guy would just throw out a riff like TOTW?? Or many others on Balance, or even Humans Being?? Has the well run dry??
    I really liked the three new Sammy songs on BOTW but felt that, like III, the production really lacked. For some reason last week I threw F.U.C.K. and Balance in my car CD player and have been listening to them again repeatedly; it's been many years since I've done that for both. Even a song like "Can't Stop Lovin' You," which is basically candy-pop to sell some CDs, there's so many awesome VH moments--the bridge, the guitar solo, etc. I think with any new VH we just really want to hear it all "realized" to its fullest potential.

  14. #14
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,710
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emm5150
    You could give Ed a tree branch with some fishing line and he'd make it sound beautiful.....he's the shit!
    Yeah, just don't let him put a sustainer under the fishing line.....Seriously, the guy has hands of an angel.

  15. #15
    XTC man! homeunit's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.00
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    4,113
    Favorite VH Album

    Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

    Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

    09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    29
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net
    I really liked the three new Sammy songs on BOTW but felt that, like III, the production really lacked. For some reason last week I threw F.U.C.K. and Balance in my car CD player and have been listening to them again repeatedly; it's been many years since I've done that for both. Even a song like "Can't Stop Lovin' You," which is basically candy-pop to sell some CDs, there's so many awesome VH moments--the bridge, the guitar solo, etc. I think with any new VH we just really want to hear it all "realized" to its fullest potential.
    I'm sort of the same way. When balance dame out I was into really heavy stuff. I heard DTWLCD and thought cool they're getting a little heavier. After I bought the album I liked Feelin, but thought that the rest of it was pretty pop. Ten years later I can appreciate how good that album actually was.

    I was really looking forward to the next album with Sam...especially after hearing humans beings. When he got fired and Dave was back I was excited to hear an album from them.

    After that everything went to shit in a handcart.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Not Enough - Letterman '95
    By cam-5150 in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07.18.08, 07:25 PM
  2. My prototype guitar
    By scottfletcher in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08.21.06, 05:30 PM
  3. VH Letterman 95' Not Enough
    By 515051505150 in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01.25.06, 09:09 AM
  4. DLR on Letterman in the '80s
    By Betty Boop in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05.18.02, 05:25 PM
  5. Letterman to ABC?
    By dog in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03.04.02, 10:28 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •