Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Eruption timmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.14.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,326
    Favorite VH Album

    VH I
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.25.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts


    Donor

    Default California sues automakers for global warming...

    You gotta be kidding me.

    SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California filed a global warming lawsuit on Wednesday against Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F - news), General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news), Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T) and three other automakers, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.

    State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.

    The lawsuit also names Chrysler Motors Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler AG (DCXGn.DE), and the North American units of Japan's Honda Motor Co. (7267.T) and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. (7201.T).

    The lawsuit charges that vehicle emissions have contributed significantly to global warming and harmed the resources, infrastructure and environmental health of the most populous state in the United States.

    Ford deferred comment to the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, an industry group which could not immediately be reached. The other automakers had no immediate comment.

    Lockyer, a Democrat, said the complaint states that under federal and state common law the automakers have created a public nuisance by producing "millions of vehicles that collectively emit massive quantities of carbon dioxide."

    Carbon dioxide emissions and other greenhouse gases have been linked to global warming.

    The lawsuit comes after California passed legislation supported by Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger that requires the state to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases by 25 percent by 2020. California was the first state to mandate a reduction of greenhouse gases.

    California has also issued rules to force automakers to cut tailpipe emissions from cars and trucks. Enforcement of those rules is being delayed by litigation from automakers.


    Next, they'll start to sue the consumers for driving too fast and generating more emissions, and suing dairy and hog farms because their animals fart!
    Nothing to see here.

  2. #2
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,682
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Likes
    1,046
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

    Default

    Just out of curiosity, what kind of vehicle inspections do they do in California? I know a lot of states used to do emissions testing (including Florida) but for whatever reason they ceased them. In my opinion, it's not really the new cars that cause the majority of the emission problems, it's the old crappy ones that people don't keep up and ride around with cracked and/or modified exhaust systems.

  3. #3
    Baluchitherium Guitar Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.08.01
    Age
    47
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,334
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    03.01.10 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timmac
    SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California filed a global warming lawsuit on Wednesday against Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F - news), General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news), Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.T) and three other automakers, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have cost the state millions of dollars.

    State Attorney General Bill Lockyer said the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Northern California was the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions.

    The lawsuit also names Chrysler Motors Corp., the U.S. arm of Germany's DaimlerChrysler AG (DCXGn.DE), and the North American units of Japan's Honda Motor Co. (7267.T) and Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. (7201.T).
    The truly funny thing is that Lockyer probably owns at least one of those vehicles.

  4. #4
    Wear the fox hat... Filthy 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.13.03
    Location
    Right here.
    Posts
    4,121
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Likes
    31
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Ford should file suit on the state of California for being over the asshole limit without a permit.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------


    "As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------


    "I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------


    VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk WinterlessIceness's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.03.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Newcastle, Great North of England
    Posts
    10,095
    Last Online

    07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of vehicle inspections do they do in California? I know a lot of states used to do emissions testing (including Florida) but for whatever reason they ceased them. In my opinion, it's not really the new cars that cause the majority of the emission problems, it's the old crappy ones that people don't keep up and ride around with cracked and/or modified exhaust systems.
    I think old crappy cars were made by the same companies.

  6. #6
    On Fire LegallyInsane's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.10.04
    Location
    Frisco, TX
    Posts
    419
    Last Online

    01.08.08 @ 05:20 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Unbelievable and yet totally believable. This is the kind of bullshit that infuriates me, and as a soon-to-be-licensed attorney, would love to be involved in defending the car companies. As much as I would want to see
    this tossed as being frivolous, I can see it going to trial and the auto
    makers getting fucked.
    Hey, California! Why don't you just ban automobiles all together? Oh, no wait! You guys love your cars more than any other state in the Union.
    This is like someone protesting on behalf of PETA while wearing alligator shoes and a fur coat. Fucking hypocrites. The sad part is that it only takes 12 morons to find in favor of California, and there are more and more morons out there these days.
    Psalms 75:10: "All the horns of the wicked also will I cut off; BUT THE HORNS OF THE RIGHTEOUS SHALL BE EXALTED."

    J.A.S. 8/10/1936 - 10/28/2006. I miss you, Mom.

    My favorite number used to be 5150. Now, it's 41-38.
    Texas Longhorns: 2005 National Champions!!!

    Political Correctness means always having to say you're sorry.

    "I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further."

    "[T]he only way you're gonna get fulfilled is to sit right there in that front row and just get your face bashed in." - Sammy Hagar

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.25.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    7,954
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

    05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Why not sue God? It's his faulty planetary design.

    Oh man, I wish I was a lawyer, I'd represent Ford for free.

    First off, the State will have to show that it has a long record of a commitment to mass transit systems other than highways. I can't because the state of California is run by retards. I've lived in California all of my life and I've seen a concerted effort degrade mass transit by powerful real estate developers who've torn up hundreds of railroad tracks because choo-choo trains are loud and lower property values. Up in the bay area, BART (the light rail system) still doesn't go into the SF airport. This is because of the cities powerful taxi-cab lobby.

    Secondly, the state would have to prove that it's own environmental policies have not contributed in any way to CFCs or other green house gas bullshit. In 1992, California was the first state to mandate MTBE be put in the gasoline under the myth of Oxigenates. The result was poisoned wells and contaminated reserviors and an increase is resperatory deaths on Los Angeles county.

    You could argue that California, the state with the most motor vehicles , it itself the leading cause of "Global warming" in the western United States and do to it's short-sightedness and fiscal stupidity. Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Arizona should all team up and sue California. It would make just as much sense.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai


    My Blog:

    http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

    http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

  8. #8
    Sinner's Swing! Darkstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.04.00
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,784
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Too Many!
    Last Online

    12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    And exactly HOW has auto emissions cost the state millions of dollars? This coming from a state where cars outnumber the people....
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

    My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

    I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

    I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

  9. #9
    Baluchitherium Ted Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    All up in there
    Posts
    4,383
    Favorite VH Album

    Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

    How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 03:58 AM
    Likes
    2,306
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    I'd be willing to bet the UAW is tied into this somehow. Ford offered a buyout to basically every employee last week in a move to ultimately rout the UAW. This is just a diversionary tactic to tie up more of Ford's cash & send a message to the rest of the UAW represented makers to not even try to get rid of them. Of course this is just speculation on my part.


    Ted
    -TVH-


    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine


    What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison


    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.25.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    7,954
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

    05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen
    I'd be willing to bet the UAW is tied into this somehow. Ford offered a buyout to basically every employee last week in a move to ultimately rout the UAW. This is just a diversionary tactic to tie up more of Ford's cash & send a message to the rest of the UAW represented makers to not even try to get rid of them. Of course this is just speculation on my part.


    Ted
    No. The Cal AG is a dipshit.

    This is a spin-off from the tobacco shake-down lawsuits from the 1990s. The problem is that we don't know what Global warming actually means for the long-term environment and right now many scientists are starting to thing that it might be a good thing. Nobody knows because nothing is conclusive right now.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai


    My Blog:

    http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

    http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

  11. #11
    Baluchitherium Mikey Metalhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.25.00
    Age
    53
    Location
    Tx
    Posts
    4,033
    Last Online

    06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    can we sue California for being G>>>>>AAAAYYYYYYY
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

  12. #12
    carpe damn diem billy007's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.00
    Age
    54
    Location
    On the wild card line...
    Posts
    28,682
    Favorite VH Song

    "Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Likes
    1,046
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterlessIceness
    I think old crappy cars were made by the same companies.
    Yeah, but they weren't old and crappy when they were sold (most of them) - they've become that way by people not maintaining them.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk ZeoBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    41
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    17,830
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Likes
    54
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    How about California also sues it's own residents for buying cars that pollute the atmosphere, and for all the industry that dumps waste into the water and air also. This suit will get dropped faster then a drunken prom date after sex.
    Last edited by ZeoBandit; 09.21.06 at 05:39 AM.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

    www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

  14. #14
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,722
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Likes
    1,264
    Liked 11,579 Times in 4,935 Posts

    Default

    Shouldn't the Earth be suing the automakers?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk onefootoutthedoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.15.01
    Age
    42
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    8,033
    Last Online

    07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    Why not sue God? It's his faulty planetary design.

    Oh man, I wish I was a lawyer, I'd represent Ford for free.

    First off, the State will have to show that it has a long record of a commitment to mass transit systems other than highways. I can't because the state of California is run by retards. I've lived in California all of my life and I've seen a concerted effort degrade mass transit by powerful real estate developers who've torn up hundreds of railroad tracks because choo-choo trains are loud and lower property values. Up in the bay area, BART (the light rail system) still doesn't go into the SF airport. This is because of the cities powerful taxi-cab lobby.

    Secondly, the state would have to prove that it's own environmental policies have not contributed in any way to CFCs or other green house gas bullshit. In 1992, California was the first state to mandate MTBE be put in the gasoline under the myth of Oxigenates. The result was poisoned wells and contaminated reserviors and an increase is resperatory deaths on Los Angeles county.

    You could argue that California, the state with the most motor vehicles , it itself the leading cause of "Global warming" in the western United States and do to it's short-sightedness and fiscal stupidity. Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Arizona should all team up and sue California. It would make just as much sense.



    Actually, BART has been going straight into SFO for the better part of two years now. It actually terminates one stop after that in Millbrae where there there is the only multi-transit cross platform (with Caltrain) west of the Mississippi. I think the Bay area is one of the few, if only areas in the state that really utilizes mass transit.

    BTW, this lawsuit is the biggest waste of taxpayer money.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Global Warming? More like Global Cooling.
    By rocknblues81 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 501
    Last Post: 10.16.17, 10:44 AM
  2. Global Warming
    By TheresOnlyOneWay in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 10.05.10, 02:41 PM
  3. Forget Al Qaeda and Global Warming. Worry About The Giant Wombat Threat!!!
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09.30.06, 01:01 AM
  4. Warming Up or...........???????
    By VanDaveHalen in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07.02.01, 02:18 PM
  5. They are warming it up for us!!!!!!!!!
    By GangWolf in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08.03.00, 12:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •