Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Default Adventures With Ed

Some interesting things being posted over at VelvetRope.

Here's some of the good stuff:

This isn't a fan's conjecture, I know Mike. We're not best friends or anything, but I know him. Michael Anthony is a very talented and likable guy. The Van Halen brothers did not want Anthony to take part in the 2004 reunion tour. They went so far as to see to it that Mike received far less money than the rest of the band during the tour.

The Van halen brothers aren't happy unless they've got someone to bitch about. It's Mike's turn in the big doghouse. It escalated when Mike did the tour with Sammy, which pissed off both Ed and Al. Yet, they weren't doing anything and Mike just wants to get out & play. Big Deal. Well, it was to king Eddy and prince Alex.

Last November, Mike played bass on a song on Neil Zaza's new CD "When Gravity Fails", which was just released last month. When he found out about it, Ed was really, REALLY pissed off. Whether or not you've heard him (or of him) Neil Zaza's one of the few guitar players in the world who can hold his own with Ed. EVH is a ball of insecurity, more now than ever. So Mike's playing with this "upstart" in Ed's mind. His retaliation is for Wolfgang to play bass. "See Mike, I don't need you. My son is as good as you." Uhh, no Ed, I don't think so.

The fact is that the Van halen brothers have treated Mike like a red headed step child for 30 years, and he's pretty tired of it. His position in the band has never been totally secure. Around the time of Diver down, Ed felt that he needed a "stronger" bassist and there were discussions with Billy Sheehan (long before the Roth split)about him replacing Mike. Billy was not very comfortable with the idea. At some point the notion of replacing Mike was dropped. Mike stood by them yet they never totally treated him as a peer.

Mike has a very close friendship with Sammy, in part because they are similar personalities. Sammy is a very likable guy 95% of the time. He is also a smart businessman and sensible. Mike is not so different. He plays bass, collects hot rods and makes hot sauce. The Van Halens hate it when anybody does anything that they aren't in control of and making money off. That's why they have issues with Cabo Wabo Tequila and Mike's Hot sauce venture. They feel entitled to a piece of the action for anything someone associated with them does because its "their name" that enabled you to be successful. They are a couple of greedy narcissistic assholes.

If you think the "drama" about Van Halen that is public is bad ... it's only the tip of the iceberg.

---

OK climb into the cone of silence...

One disclaimer: None of the statements I make here were told to me by Micheal Anthony or Dugie. Both those guys are too classy to discuss the inner circle's confidential drama with anyone. However, there are "other" members of the VH camp who are extremely credible sources of information who let's say do not maintain that same policy of non-disclosure.The source(s) of this info aren't shit talkers. You can usually tell when someone is embellishing something. These weren't stated gleefully but more like Jeez, WTF???

Why Ed and Val are divorced - Ed had an affair with the trophy wife of a certain CEO of a large musical instrument manufacturer. Not a brief fling, but a lengthy affair. When the CEO found out, he called Val. Ed was told to cut the shit or hit the road. He was a good boy for a while, and then started up with Ms. Trophy again. That was the last straw. You'll never ever hear Val talk about this because she's too classy to openly discuss any details.

Why Ed is no longer affiliated with Music Man - See above.

Guns & Alcohol don't mix part I - Unfortunately Ed tends to like both a bit too much. EVH nearly missed a show in Oakland on the 2004 reunion tour when he "forgot" that he had a handgun in his bag. He "remembered" just as they were going into security at Burbank airport and sheepishly admitted it to the TSA officials before searched his bags and found it. While the rest of the band & crew flew up to the venue, Mr. Ed had some 'slpaining to do. They sent the plane back to Burbank and he made it just before showtime. Appaerntly TSA now screens passengers even on chartered flights as well as commercial flights.

Guns & Alcohol don't mix part II - Remember the rumor about EVH playing with Limp Bizkit when they were searching for Wes Borland's replacement? It's not a rumor. Ed jammed with them for about two weeks at Durst's place in Beverly Hills. Then they had some disagreement and Ed leaves. He comes back later that night in one of his sportscars drunker than a skunk. He also toting a semi-auto Uzi that you used to be able to buy legally in Ca before the assault weapon ban. (BTW - EVH has/had quite an impressive gun collection.) Ed is outside the house yelling that "he wants his gear back" and then decides to pop off all the rounds in the clip. While he's re-loading Durst's bodyguard tackles him and gets the gun away from him. They took him inside to sober up and avoid the scrutiny of the police and media. The cops were told that it was a drive by and no one saw anything. No one got hurt, case closed. Who knows if there were blanks or real bullets in that gun? Well, the guy who repaired the stucco on the house could probably tell you.

It's sad stuff for shure. There's more, but I don't know if those statements are true or a total fabrication. These are essentially true and I believe the source(s). Damn Ed, you were a hero to so many of us. Why'd you have to go turn into John Norman Howard?

---

OK...

Why Ed hates Eric Clapton - Clapton was Ed's hero growing, up along with Jeff Beck. In the early '90's Ed gets an opportunity to meet EC at a benefit gig (it may have been the Jeff Porcaro benefit at Universal in '92.) EC is somewhat polite, but thinks Ed's an idiot. Because Clapton wasn't all chummy with him, Ed forms the opinion that Clapton is "jealous" of him, and never says another nice thing about him again.

Ed had the hots for Chrissy Hynde - Remember when EVH sat in with The Pretenders at universal in 1981? That was a rather odd pairing. EVH was enamored with Chrissy. I don't think anything ever came of it.

(This is factual for sure
    Ed can sure play geetar, but he can't tune a fish - VH records the For unlawful Carnal Knowledge tour and compiles the tapes for mixing at 5150 to release a live CD. Ed decides that "He" will produce and mix the live disc, with Ted in his usual role as executive producer. After six months Ted Templeman calls Andy Johns and says "uhh, Ed's having hard time. Can you go over and see if you can help him out?" Andy's like "well ok", but he's a little miffed at Ed's attitude thinking he can do what Andy does. So Andy goes over to 5150, and Ed is literally in tears because everyone else (including Al) tells him he sucks as a mixing engineer and he's basically forced to admit that they're right. He was also forced to make an apology to Andy Johns (who wouldn't consider taking back the reigns until such apology was rendered) and Andy was like "alright then, off ya go. Now leave me be to mix your record".
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo
    EVH nearly missed a show in Oakland on the 2004 reunion tour when he "forgot" that he had a handgun in his bag. He "remembered" just as they were going into security at Burbank airport and sheepishly admitted it to the TSA officials before searched his bags and found it. While the rest of the band & crew flew up to the venue, Mr. Ed had some 'slpaining to do. They sent the plane back to Burbank and he made it just before showtime.
    Interesting read. On the Balance tour, they did postpone a show in Oakland for the same reason. We were walking over the bridge from the BART station and security told us the show as cancelled because "Sammy is sick". We BARTed back to some SF bars and found out later that it was because of the gun incident.

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

I think Van Halen 3 was all the evidence any of us need to admit Ed should NEVER produce Van Halen's music. Get a professional, and just play the damn guitar and keyboards.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Ed's one complicated Dude.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I regret being so hard on Maurice Clarrett in the "Play Ball" Forum.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

neil zaza is an upstart?...dude's been around since 1987, and would making pottery if it wasn't for ed.
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

is ed responsible for the downing of the Pan Am flight over Lockerbee, Scotland also?
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

interesting tidbits

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Total bullshit. I could've made that up too. especially the limp biscuit part.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Interesting read. And it confirms alot of suspicions(if it is true ,of course).

Celebrities are surrounded by 'yes men' so much that they create their own world. And in their world they are always right. These people have only a few in thier life that can tell them anything and actually get through.
    My Dad has always daid that there were only 2 people that could tell him what to do; his parents. Everyone else could only make suggestions.

And sadly, with the passing of these people (Ed Leffler, and Ed's parents) now there are only people who can make suggestions to Ed. And I'm sure if they want to hang around him, they will tell him how good he's doing and how right he is all the time.
    This is getting more painful by the day.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.02.08 @ 06:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I cant wait for the new VH album with WVH on bass!!

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, there are certainly some gems to consider in all that info. The Limp Bizkit thing makes me question the validity though as I can't imagine Fred Durst not opening his trap about the whole incident. He loves to put himself in the limelight regardless if it affects someone else negatively.

Last Online

07.02.09 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elvhfan
    is ed responsible for the downing of the Pan Am flight over Lockerbee, Scotland also?
    LOL...

No, but apparantly there is a new book out that places Ed in the Bigfoot suit in the famous 30 second clip.... :0

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79
    Wow, there are certainly some gems to consider in all that info. The Limp Bizkit thing makes me question the validity though as I can't imagine Fred Durst not opening his trap about the whole incident. He loves to put himself in the limelight regardless if it affects someone else negatively.
    Durst DID open his trap. I think most people blew him off because conveniently, he talked about it right before his album was about to "drop....yo yo" Nothing like name dropping and sensationalism to sell records huh?

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. He may have jammed with Fred for whatever reason, but Ed JOINING Lame Biskit? I doubt it

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Well that was interesting.

How much is true....................
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One