Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,024
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    09.28.16 @ 05:27 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 452 Times in 211 Posts

    I had a much better sense of what it would take for VH reunite with either Sammy or Dave.

    Seeing how bad and depressed both Tyler and Perry were when they split and the lackluster sales of each's albums and lack of musical inspiration. It got me think of EVH and DLR then EVH and Sammy.

    First, I didn't hear anything really inspiring from Eddie with MWM & CGTSNM. The vocals were crappy and maybe it was the best Dave could do at the time and that if given the chance maybe he could do it better today. If the songs that they did a couple years ago were as Dave puts it, "ASTONISHING" then just release them allready for a soundtrack or something, even a Best Of Vol.2. IMO however, I don't think that Eddie thought as highly of them (and I believe he mentioed this in his statement back then) thats why they will (according to him) never see the light of day. I don't think that he feels anything anymore when he works with Dave.
    Too much time has passed since their glory days together and way too much shit was said and Dave to this day still says shit about Eddie and his failing marriage.

    Sammy on the other hand left when Eddie was being pushed by a greedy manager. Eddie never had control of the band once RD was involved. RD put him in the position to make a greatest hits album by adding it to there contract.
    To put it in a nutshell, Sammy inspires Eddie and Eddie inspires Sammy.
    Give BALANCE a good listen to with headphones on. Its got some amazing shit in it. Then Humans Being, And try to tell me that that doesn't blow away MWM or CGTSNM. If you think it does, then put on some spandex and load the cd changer with Ratt, Poison and Europe because thats where your head still is and will never listen to VH objectively again.

    When I first heard MWM on the radio I thought that it was cool, then after a few listens I thought it was just O.K.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    05.28.00
    Location
    dirtland, usa
    Posts
    15,462
    Favorite VH Album

    the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

    hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

    09.23.16 @ 10:39 PM
    Likes
    148
    Liked 531 Times in 199 Posts

    eddymon you've been lobbying for sammy to get back forever now. give it a rest will ya?! jeez!

    eddie hasn't released the astonishing 3 songs because maybe he felt they weren't good enough? yeah ok i suppose he's not releasing a dvd of the fair warning tour because the songs or tour at that time weren't good enough either right? ed has no plans on releasing anything obviously...get that through your head

    if you think the vocals sucked on those two best of songs...whatever..to each their own. don't go tellin me they suck. sammy fans say CGTSNM sucks yet they forget it was already written when sam was there...talk about hypocritical. (from the balance sessions) and you cannot really sit there and tell me MWM is a crappy song. get lost already. this ain't about vocal ability, it's about songs and showmanship. MWM is a killer tune. deal with it

    JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

    "It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

    "The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

    "I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

    "I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    05.28.00
    Location
    dirtland, usa
    Posts
    15,462
    Favorite VH Album

    the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

    hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

    09.23.16 @ 10:39 PM
    Likes
    148
    Liked 531 Times in 199 Posts

    Originally posted by Eddymon:
    I don't think that he feels anything anymore when he works with Dave.
    Too much time has passed since their glory days together and way too much shit was said and Dave to this day still says shit about Eddie and his failing marriage.

    how do you know? were you there for the recording sessions? oh wait a minute...your source was there right? sure...

    dave still says shit about eddie...and sam was using ed's guitars on tour with a saw cutting through them during poundcake and beating up a mock ed cardboard cutout...sam is a saint too...sorry, i forgot

    JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

    "It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

    "The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

    "I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

    "I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    05.28.00
    Location
    dirtland, usa
    Posts
    15,462
    Favorite VH Album

    the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

    hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

    09.23.16 @ 10:39 PM
    Likes
    148
    Liked 531 Times in 199 Posts

    Originally posted by Eddymon:

    Give BALANCE a good listen to with headphones on. Its got some amazing shit in it. Then Humans Being, And try to tell me that that doesn't blow away MWM or CGTSNM. If you think it does, then put on some spandex and load the cd changer with Ratt, Poison and Europe because thats where your head still is and will never listen to VH objectively again.

    did you read what you wrote here eddymon?

    you're trying to lobby for sam. yet here, you say if we think that balance blows away CGTSNM and MWM, we should still be listening to ratt, poison, and europe?

    not only couldn't you write for your aliases, you can't write for yourself either

    JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

    "It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

    "The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

    "I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

    "I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,024
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    09.28.16 @ 05:27 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 452 Times in 211 Posts

    I meant it to say that if you thought that MWM & CGTSNM were better than BALANCE than put the spandex on. Sorry wrong wording and probably wrong forum.
    I started the topic to talk about the things that broke up Aerosmith and that broke up VH. (whether its Van Halen OR Van Hagar)
    You are right in saying that I am lobbying for Sammy. I wanted Dave a while back, but now and especially after seeing them both last week, Sammy is the only choice if they rehire a past singer.
    If they go to #4, then I will give a few listens before I judge. Thats what I did with VH3, and its not all that bad.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  6. #6
    Eruption
    Join Date
    12.12.01
    Age
    50
    Location
    naugatuck,connecticut u.s.a.
    Posts
    881
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    mean street
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    i thought mwm and cgtsnm are great songs as i do humans being is, but i guess it will be up to eddie and who he feels is the right choise.

    [ September 02, 2002, 07:05 AM: Message edited by: joe318 ]
    van halen shall return. what you think is nothing might be something after all.

  7. #7
    5150
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Age
    44
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    660
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    5150, Women In Love
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Donor

    Originally posted by JMJ:
    eddymon you've been lobbying for sammy to get back forever now. give it a rest will ya?! jeez!

    eddie hasn't released the astonishing 3 songs because maybe he felt they weren't good enough? yeah ok i suppose he's not releasing a dvd of the fair warning tour because the songs or tour at that time weren't good enough either right? ed has no plans on releasing anything obviously...get that through your head

    if you think the vocals sucked on those two best of songs...whatever..to each their own. don't go tellin me they suck. sammy fans say CGTSNM sucks yet they forget it was already written when sam was there...talk about hypocritical. (from the balance sessions) and you cannot really sit there and tell me MWM is a crappy song. get lost already. this ain't about vocal ability, it's about songs and showmanship. MWM is a killer tune. deal with it

    JMJ
    JMJ, not all Sammy fans think those songs sucked. I thought they were both great, and as you know, I prefer Sam. Please don't throw blanket statements like that. BTW, so what if he lobbies for Sam. I'd like to see Sammy back too, if you want to call that lobbying, fine. Also, I don't, nor does every Sam backer think Sammy is a saint. You have made your opinions clear on this board more than once regarding Dave. Would that classify as lobbying?
    Don't be a hypocrite man.

    [ September 02, 2002, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: aftershock5 ]
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED!

  8. #8
    Baluchitherium mistere's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.31.02
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,364
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

    07.11.09 @ 02:27 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Anyone who can't see the decline in creativity and energy in ALL the sammy era records has their
    head up their ass. Among all the Van Hagar tracks there are probably enough good ones to make ONE
    decent VH record. But by and large, the records as
    wholes are filled with filler and throw-away riffs, and this includes your beloved 5150 & Balance.
    I would wager that Van Hagar fans are of the ilk
    who also support such non-rock entities as REO Speedmuffin, Journey, Styx, et al. Sam sucks. Period. ...and Dave ain't such hot shit anymore
    either. Get over it.

  9. #9
    Unchained
    Join Date
    02.15.00
    Location
    Chesire,CT,USA
    Posts
    446
    Last Online

    03.04.06 @ 05:04 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by mistere:
    Anyone who can't see the decline in creativity and energy in ALL the sammy era records has their
    head up their ass. Among all the Van Hagar tracks there are probably enough good ones to make ONE
    decent VH record. But by and large, the records as
    wholes are filled with filler and throw-away riffs, and this includes your beloved 5150 & Balance.
    I would wager that Van Hagar fans are of the ilk
    who also support such non-rock entities as REO Speedmuffin, Journey, Styx, et al. Sam sucks. Period. ...and Dave ain't such hot shit anymore
    either. Get over it.
    Mistere, I'd bet you never read the book " How to win friends and influence people"

  10. #10
    Sinner's Swing! Mario VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.18.99
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,776
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    03.28.15 @ 05:30 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

    I don't agree with the statement that each subsequent Hagar record went down in energy and creativity. I can however see the argument that some Van Hagar releases did have filler type material. I always thought that Balance could have been so much better had stuff like "doin time" and "strung out" been replaced with actual material. Out of the 12 tracks on the album you had 3 instrumentals although with the way "Baluchiterium" kicks ass I would hardly define it as an instrumental despite the lack of vocals on it. I have the Japanese version with the track "Crossing Over" on it and to me it just seems like a much better record with that song included on it.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

  11. #11
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    06.10.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    86
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    VH has pretty much sucked since F.U.C.K.... VH used to be more than music,it was a lifestyle,an attitude. Maybe if Spammy came back ,they could cut another mainsteam album and open up for NSYNC. And Spammy fans all over would be happy.Just call it a career Eddie Van Cancer
    The problem with self-improvement is knowing when to quit...DLR

  12. #12
    Good Enough Bostonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,842
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

    08.03.15 @ 03:39 AM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts


    Donor

    Getting back to the whole Aerosmith/VH comparison, and the Behind the Music issue, there are a lot of things in common with both bands regarding breakups and reunions... But at the same time there are many differences which I think are too hard to overcome when it comes to the bands... Here is a listing.

    1. Age of break ups... With Aerosmith, the band "broke up" in 1979/1981 all members were relatively young. Where as VH's members are all at a different stage in life and age than Aerosmith was.

    2. Loss of members... With Aerosmith, you lost only "guitarists". Granted, Joe and Brad are important to the fold, but not as much as say Dave or Sam. Imagine if Aerosmith lost Steven Tyler, and got instead Steven Perry, or someone else.

    3. Counseling... The band actually went into conseling together, and rehab, which brought them closer. Eddie, Alex, Mikey and Dave don't have anything like that to really build upon.

    4. The Now Factor... Music these days has changed, and if Aerosmith was up against these bands now they wouldn't have a chance. They've built up an industry, and rode the wave with it. Unfortunately VH has been out of commission since 1998 at least, and hasn't harnessed the record companies like Aerosmith has.

    I am not trying to say one band is better than another, but unfortunately, VH would need A LOT of PR, and help from the next record company they sign with if any. They need to be pushed like Bruce Springsteen, but cater to the crowd Aerosmith has (fans from the 70's, 80's, 90's and today). But, right now, Eddie and Alex have their issues (especially Eddie), and I don't blame him for laying low. I am sure the band knows it's time is running out, and the best they can hope for is a final tour and album. But I have a feeling that eddie isn't emotionally, and physically ready to deal with road. Say what you will about Dave or Sammy, or Aerosmith, or even poison... (yes poison) they've been on the road for a while, they are in shape (physically, and emotionally) which I personally feel that Eddie isn't. I am sure they will come out with a final statement to the public, or the fans one way or another with what is going on. But keep in mind that there are many other things that we as fans do not know about behind the scenes with Eddie, Alex, Dave, Mikey, Sammy and even at one time Gary.

    -Bostonian

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    05.28.00
    Location
    dirtland, usa
    Posts
    15,462
    Favorite VH Album

    the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

    hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

    09.23.16 @ 10:39 PM
    Likes
    148
    Liked 531 Times in 199 Posts

    aftershock,

    do you have email or can you start accepting pm's so i don't throw what i want to say to you in the thread?

    thanks

    JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

    "It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

    "The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

    "I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

    "I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

  14. #14
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    08.11.02
    Age
    55
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Posts
    175
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, Hear About It Later, Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    I'll tell you the biggest difference between VH and Aeroshit...VH is not going to sell their souls for the almighty dollar. Aeroshit sold out totally, bringing in the outside writers and using NSync and Britney to further their careers. Thank God VH did not go that route. At least Ed and Al proved it was not all about the money. Areosmith was a great American rock band in the 70's, and had a damn good cd in the 80's "Done With Mirrors". Aeroshit's first cd was Permanent Vacation, and they suck.

  15. #15
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    08.06.02
    Age
    51
    Posts
    63
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Originally posted by Eddymon:
    I had a much better sense of what it would take for VH reunite with either Sammy or Dave.

    Seeing how bad and depressed both Tyler and Perry were when they split and the lackluster sales of each's albums and lack of musical inspiration. It got me think of EVH and DLR then EVH and Sammy.

    First, I didn't hear anything really inspiring from Eddie with MWM & CGTSNM. The vocals were crappy and maybe it was the best Dave could do at the time and that if given the chance maybe he could do it better today. If the songs that they did a couple years ago were as Dave puts it, "ASTONISHING" then just release them allready for a soundtrack or something, even a Best Of Vol.2. IMO however, I don't think that Eddie thought as highly of them (and I believe he mentioed this in his statement back then) thats why they will (according to him) never see the light of day. I don't think that he feels anything anymore when he works with Dave.
    Too much time has passed since their glory days together and way too much shit was said and Dave to this day still says shit about Eddie and his failing marriage.

    Sammy on the other hand left when Eddie was being pushed by a greedy manager. Eddie never had control of the band once RD was involved. RD put him in the position to make a greatest hits album by adding it to there contract.
    To put it in a nutshell, Sammy inspires Eddie and Eddie inspires Sammy.
    Give BALANCE a good listen to with headphones on. Its got some amazing shit in it. Then Humans Being, And try to tell me that that doesn't blow away MWM or CGTSNM. If you think it does, then put on some spandex and load the cd changer with Ratt, Poison and Europe because thats where your head still is and will never listen to VH objectively again.

    When I first heard MWM on the radio I thought that it was cool, then after a few listens I thought it was just O.K.
    Man, As I stated in another post,
    None of your posts can be taken seriously
    because you are so Sammy Biased, it's a joke!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What are You Watching The NEW TV season
    By Daisy Hill in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 973
    Last Post: 09.23.16, 03:48 PM
  2. Anybody Watching C-Span2 Right Now (7/13/05)?
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07.14.05, 02:45 PM
  3. Entourage, who's watching...
    By 515051505150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07.14.05, 06:58 AM
  4. saw aerosmith last night
    By JMJ in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08.21.01, 07:04 PM
  5. After watching Mtv Ultrasound......
    By GangWolf in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08.08.00, 04:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •