Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Good Enough vanzefflin's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.17.04
    Location
    Oklahoma/Texas border
    Posts
    1,527
    Last Online

    10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Likes
    69
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

    Default Charvel vs. Wolfgang

    I noticed in the new Eddie pics he is playing a Wolfgang. After leaving Peavey and joining up with Fender/ Charvel it would stand to reason he would be playing the new product.

    Does anyone own a Charvel (obviously I mean the sig. series)?

    Are they players along the ebmm or Wolfie lines?

    Do they suck like most new Fender produced stuff?

    Of course, with EVH it could have been the only guitar he had in the trunk of his car.

  2. #2
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.29.03
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,974
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Likes
    2,612
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    to me it seems as if the wolfgang really is his ultimate guitar. He's still playing them live, even after the Charvel deal.

    Or maybe he just needs that darned sustainer.

  3. #3
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzefflin
    I noticed in the new Eddie pics he is playing a Wolfgang. After leaving Peavey and joining up with Fender/ Charvel it would stand to reason he would be playing the new product.

    Does anyone own a Charvel (obviously I mean the sig. series)?

    Are they players along the ebmm or Wolfie lines?

    Do they suck like most new Fender produced stuff?

    Of course, with EVH it could have been the only guitar he had in the trunk of his car.
    I was wondering about some of that too. First he shows up at the Chesney show with the Wolfgang and now this flower show too. Fender/Charvel must be freaking out, even if the deal let's him play anything he wants in public; which wasn't the case with EBMM. They restricted him to only playing the EBMM EVH in public.

    The guy that works on my guitars, who is also a fellow VH freak and has actually met Ed a few times, has played/worked on a few of the new EVH Charvels and told me that, for the money, they're not that great. It's basically on old San Dimas with stripes, but he said it wasn't even as good as one of those. Of course, that's just an opinion.

    New Fender stuff suck??? Which models? I have two newer teles that I love.

  4. #4
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly
    Or maybe he just needs that darned sustainer(
    He must love those. He could have a Sustainer put in any guitar or, probably, do it himself.

  5. #5
    Good Enough vanzefflin's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.17.04
    Location
    Oklahoma/Texas border
    Posts
    1,527
    Last Online

    10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Likes
    69
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150
    I was wondering about some of that too. First he shows up at the Chesney show with the Wolfgang and now this flower show too. Fender/Charvel must be freaking out, even if the deal let's him play anything he wants in public; which wasn't the case with EBMM. They restricted him to only playing the EBMM EVH in public.

    The guy that works on my guitars, who is also a fellow VH freak and has actually met Ed a few times, has played/worked on a few of the new EVH Charvels and told me that, for the money, they're not that great. It's basically on old San Dimas with stripes, but he said it wasn't even as good as one of those. Of course, that's just an opinion.

    New Fender stuff suck??? Which models? I have two newer teles that I love.

    Man, I knew I shouldn't have bagged on Fender right after I started this.

    Actually I own a music store and have been a Fender dealer from day one.
    My opinion is directly affected by the relationship I have had with the company rep.
    Bolt on mass produced slabs of wood that keep going up in price and down in quality, poorly setup, part Mexican part U.S.A. prostituted force $25,000 dollars worth of product down your throat no retail gettin Guitar Center deep throatin uterus bag licking dog douche ...........................................

    Nothing personal but, it aint your grandads Fender anymore. I know how personal a guitar preference can be and this only reflects my opinion.

  6. #6
    Eruption cam-5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.21.03
    Age
    28
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,496
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen, 5150
    Last Online

    10.20.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    $2,639.99 is a lot of money to pay for a guitar with only one pickup. You'd really just be paying that much money for the EVH artwork. If you're looking for an EVH replica guitar, I've been told that Mean Street Guitars is the way to go. As for me, I'll stick with my Wolfgangs.

  7. #7
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.18.06
    Age
    46
    Location
    Sopranoville, NJ
    Posts
    2,406
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cam-5150
    $2,639.99 is a lot of money to pay for a guitar with only one pickup. You'd really just be paying that much money for the EVH artwork. If you're looking for an EVH replica guitar, I've been told that Mean Street Guitars is the way to go. As for me, I'll stick with my Wolfgangs.
    That's pretty much the consensus, at least it's what I've heard so far and read in reviews of the EVH Charvel. Like anything else, you'd have to play it to know for sure and it's all subjective. You could put together almost the same guitar with Warmouth parts (or some other manufacturer) and pay less than half of what the Charvel costs. Used to have an Axis and, IMO, that was the best guitar EVH ever endorsed. I recently picked up an EBMM Petrucci that's really sweet.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    it has always seemed to me that he made the charvel sigs as more of an art piece, a novelty if you will...i've never been suprised to see him using his wolfgangs....

  9. #9
    On Fire smithtone's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.16.04
    Age
    50
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    427
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Likes
    106
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

    Default

    I have two Wolfgangs and one EBMM and have played the new EVH Charvels. In my opinion, the EBMM is still the best and the Wolfgang is a close second. I didn't buy the Charvel. Maybe I would if it was $1300-$1500...

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.25.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    7,954
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

    05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vanzefflin
    Man, I knew I shouldn't have bagged on Fender right after I started this.

    Actually I own a music store and have been a Fender dealer from day one.
    My opinion is directly affected by the relationship I have had with the company rep.
    Bolt on mass produced slabs of wood that keep going up in price and down in quality, poorly setup, part Mexican part U.S.A. prostituted force $25,000 dollars worth of product down your throat no retail gettin Guitar Center deep throatin uterus bag licking dog douche ...........................................

    Nothing personal but, it aint your grandads Fender anymore. I know how personal a guitar preference can be and this only reflects my opinion.

    Not counting that "Hello Kitty" Strat. Just kidding, I kid.

    This is actually pretty easy, you buy an EVH Charvel because you like Eddie and you want a quality guitar. The Wolfgang has more options and IMO is more playable than the Charvel in that you've got two pickups, locking tremello, D-tuna (on some models) and great woodwork and hardwear. The wolfgang is a guitar that anyone can play no matter what music. There are as many Country players with them as Rockers, that says it all IMO.

    And no, I don't own one ...yet.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai


    My Blog:

    http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

    http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

  11. #11
    Romeo Delight brianVH's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.04
    Posts
    64
    Last Online

    09.21.06 @ 07:02 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Well, Ed did design the Wolfgang (and name it after his kid). Plus he's probably got a thousand of them. So just because Peavey isn't making them anymore doesn't mean he can't use them. Why let such a wonderful guitar sit and collect dust?

  12. #12
    On Fire Neuroop's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.14.04
    Posts
    360
    Last Online

    01.06.12 @ 12:38 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    ok, i'll chime in. I own a B/Y and R/W/B EVH Art. I also wrote a review on the Art series over a year ago on this forum.

    I gig with the RBW one and an amber wolfgang (www.thenailers.com). Other than the obvious differences the feel is different, the neck is wider on the charvel.

    Bottom line is I love both guitars, the charvel gives me more of a strat feel and I use it on 2 of 3 sets we play. We do covers and so I do need the versatility of the wolfgang.

    Forgetting about the price I love the charvel.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. New EVH Charvel????
    By the 316 man in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04.13.06, 05:44 PM
  2. Should I buy the Charvel EVH?
    By Warmoth in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08.16.05, 04:57 AM
  3. EVH Charvel reviews??
    By Tranztek in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06.06.05, 10:07 AM
  4. I received my B/Y Charvel
    By Neuroop in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01.07.05, 10:26 AM
  5. Where is that ED & CHARVEL thread ?
    By The Van Baron in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01.22.02, 06:40 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •