Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
  1. #1
    Good Enough extreme red roth's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.01.03
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,878
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

    06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts


    Donor

    Default Sammy's Ultimate Revenge

    This kind of goes in the Red Rocker forum, I guess, but doesn't fit in either subforum, so I'm putting it here.

    I was listening to Sammy's Live Disc from a few years ago today. It is pretty decent as far as live recordings go. I mainly bought it for the captured energy on Heavy Metal. I was waiting for a good live version of this tune, and man, the disk delivered. ... . BUT I digress...

    I have never given it much thought until today, but Sammy really pulled off a coup by having Cherone sing When It's Love with him on stage, and then subsequently appear on his live disc. I mean HOLY SHIT. He really wins in this case, and maybe that's why he did it, but what an incredible slap in the face to the brothers Van Halen.

    1. Sammy shows he can put his ego aside by inviting his REPLACEMENT on stage with him to jam.

    2. Sammy and Gary swap verses on a song that Van Halen played live in 1998.

    3. Sammy and Gary can be heard exchanging terms of endearment after the song...saying things like "I love you, brother."

    4. Gary shows the world that it might just be the VH boys who are the assholes by appearing and giving his approval for his appearance on Sammy's live thing.

    And countless other points. Man, you thought Ed was pissed Mikey went out in 2002...how do you think he felt when he heard Gary played with Sammy and subsequently was on his live CD? C'mon man.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

  2. #2
    Unchained
    Join Date
    07.06.01
    Location
    california
    Posts
    452
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    POUND CAKE
    Last Online

    05.08.08 @ 02:22 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    To me Sammy gets his ultimate revenge just by continuing to be the Red Rocker and doing his own thing despite Van Halen's idleness. Sammy always just seems to have the best time no matter what.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,209
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,609 Times in 991 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    You can't say the guy's ego trumps his fan appreciation; he wanted to sing a duet with Dave on the '02 tour as well.

    Other than his reluctance to cover the CVH era, I don't think Sam lets ego affect what the fans want, for the most part. Heck, he's even started playing Summer Nights mid-tour, perhaps 'cause of what he's heard in terms of fan desire, surely.

    It was cool to see Gary and Sam onstage....that was the FDNY gig, right?

    Be even cooler to see all 3 onstage with Ed, Mike, and Al someday - skip the melodrama, don't play from any one era, just cover a Zep or Cream tune. These boards, and all like them, would go nuttier than a shithouse rat, should that ever occur.

    In the meantime, Hell will start serving ice water and I will finally accept the sheer magnificence of Van Halen III.

  4. #4
    Baluchitherium Rovus's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.10.03
    Age
    36
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,100
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    It was decent enough for Sammy to invite Gary along to jam with him.

    Some good points you made there, however your 4th one seems a bit rash. Gary had nothing but positive words, at least publicly, to say in regards to his former band members after his departure in VH. Even if he wanted to show the world that the brothers were "assholes" issuing a statement is usually easier and more effective. I'm sure Gary doesn't want to take sides with what went down between Ed and Sam, since he wasn't there when it happened.

    I'd like to know also how Ed felt with Gary joining the Sam & Dave Tour as Mike had.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

    - Wayne's World 2

    "God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

    "Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

  5. #5
    Good Enough extreme red roth's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.01.03
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,878
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

    06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    You can't say the guy's ego trumps his fan appreciation; he wanted to sing a duet with Dave on the '02 tour as well.

    Other than his reluctance to cover the CVH era, I don't think Sam lets ego affect what the fans want, for the most part. Heck, he's even started playing Summer Nights mid-tour, perhaps 'cause of what he's heard in terms of fan desire, surely.

    It was cool to see Gary and Sam onstage....that was the FDNY gig, right?

    Be even cooler to see all 3 onstage with Ed, Mike, and Al someday - skip the melodrama, don't play from any one era, just cover a Zep or Cream tune. These boards, and all like them, would go nuttier than a shithouse rat, should that ever occur.

    In the meantime, Hell will start serving ice water and I will finally accept the sheer magnificence of Van Halen III.
    No doubt, Squal. I can't even imagine all seven up on stage somewhere smiling and playing and shit..I can't imagine it because it'll prob never happen, but WTF we can dream right?
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

  6. #6
    Good Enough extreme red roth's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.01.03
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,878
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

    06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rovus
    It was decent enough for Sammy to invite Gary along to jam with him.

    Some good points you made there, however your 4th one seems a bit rash. Gary had nothing but positive words, at least publicly, to say in regards to his former band members after his departure in VH. Even if he wanted to show the world that the brothers were "assholes" issuing a statement is usually easier and more effective. I'm sure Gary doesn't want to take sides with what went down between Ed and Sam, since he wasn't there when it happened.

    I'd like to know also how Ed felt with Gary joining the Sam & Dave Tour as Mike had.
    Rovus, good point. Gary took the high road. He may dance like tinkerbell, but I don't think anyone can ever question his class....or really his talent for that matter...but me can't helps but think it was just a little shot at the brothers....I mean he couldn't possibly think they'd be happy about it?
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

  7. #7
    Baluchitherium Rovus's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.10.03
    Age
    36
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    5,100
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    Rovus, good point. Gary took the high road. He may dance like tinkerbell, but I don't think anyone can ever question his class....or really his talent for that matter...but me can't helps but think it was just a little shot at the brothers....I mean he couldn't possibly think they'd be happy about it?
    Unless Gary received some form of commuincation from Ed and Al asking him not to jam with Sam on the tour, then I'm sure he was just doing it for the thrill of it, or for the fans sake. I just don't see any reason why Gary feels the need to take shots at the brothers.

    I agree Gary is a class act, even though I'm not fond of III, and also think it was a good thing that he was at least acknowledged briefly on the tour.
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

    - Wayne's World 2

    "God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

    "Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill

  8. #8
    Good Enough padraig5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Age
    37
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,773
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, Fair Warning, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street, Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 07:09 AM
    Likes
    101
    Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    No doubt, Squal. I can't even imagine all seven up on stage somewhere smiling and playing and shit..I can't imagine it because it'll prob never happen, but WTF we can dream right?
    Ed, Al, Mikey, Dave, Sammy, Gary... who's the seventh guy?!?

  9. #9
    Good Enough extreme red roth's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.01.03
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,878
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

    06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padraig5150
    Ed, Al, Mikey, Dave, Sammy, Gary... who's the seventh guy?!?
    Why me of course...the saxophone player.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,950
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

    Default

    I don't think Sam leaving or getting kicked out of VH was about ego, I think Sam would have left either way the way things were going-according to his book. I think aobut and listen to Ed and Sam in alot of interviews from 86-93 and they really came off as good friends. Somewhere, somehow that friendship fell apart and it may never repair itself but that's why Sam left. Why be miserable? I think it's really sad if ed has turned into the person he appears to be right now. The guy was the shit in 86 on VH Unleashed, so laid back...fun, cool, full of energy...to think someone can degererate into what he appears to be is mindblowing.

  11. #11
    Eruption servoguy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    1,244
    Favorite VH Album

    BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

    Crossing over
    Last Online

    04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by padraig5150
    Ed, Al, Mikey, Dave, Sammy, Gary... who's the seventh guy?!?
    Kenny chesney..... duh....
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

  12. #12
    Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.17.00
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,620
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 07:45 AM
    Likes
    3,259
    Liked 2,082 Times in 675 Posts

    Default


  13. #13
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.12.03
    Posts
    17,322
    Favorite VH Album

    1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

    1978-1996
    Last Online

    12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Likes
    4,364
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I think "revenge" might be a strong word. I think it was more of an example of Sammy proving to the brothers and Dave that it CAN be done. Put the ego in the back seat and just get up there and PLAY for the fans. Have fun, that's what it's about. Or at least it should be.


    Funny you brought this up, I was listening to that album on the ipod this morning. Great live album

  14. #14
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.31.04
    Age
    53
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    350
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    unchained
    Last Online

    12.30.11 @ 11:24 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    This kind of goes in the Red Rocker forum, I guess, but doesn't fit in either subforum, so I'm putting it here.

    I was listening to Sammy's Live Disc from a few years ago today. It is pretty decent as far as live recordings go. I mainly bought it for the captured energy on Heavy Metal. I was waiting for a good live version of this tune, and man, the disk delivered. ... . BUT I digress...

    I have never given it much thought until today, but Sammy really pulled off a coup by having Cherone sing When It's Love with him on stage, and then subsequently appear on his live disc. I mean HOLY SHIT. He really wins in this case, and maybe that's why he did it, but what an incredible slap in the face to the brothers Van Halen.

    1. Sammy shows he can put his ego aside by inviting his REPLACEMENT on stage with him to jam.

    2. Sammy and Gary swap verses on a song that Van Halen played live in 1998.

    3. Sammy and Gary can be heard exchanging terms of endearment after the song...saying things like "I love you, brother."

    4. Gary shows the world that it might just be the VH boys who are the assholes by appearing and giving his approval for his appearance on Sammy's live thing.

    And countless other points. Man, you thought Ed was pissed Mikey went out in 2002...how do you think he felt when he heard Gary played with Sammy and subsequently was on his live CD? C'mon man.
    "I LOVE YOU,BROTHER"????? What a FAG FEST!! Sammy is ONLY doing it to sell cd's. Sammy is a buisnessman.

  15. #15
    On Fire I'm_your_IceCreamMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.13.06
    Age
    47
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    387
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them not titled III
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight, Unchained, 5150
    Last Online

    10.30.06 @ 04:42 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    I think "revenge" might be a strong word. I think it was more of an example of Sammy proving to the brothers and Dave that it CAN be done. Put the ego in the back seat and just get up there and PLAY for the fans. Have fun, that's what it's about. Or at least it should be.


    Funny you brought this up, I was listening to that album on the ipod this morning. Great live album
    Thats what I say. Revenge I don't think is Sammy's agenda. He's just a down-to-earth, beach-bum type of dude. IMO, I can't see him inviting Gary to sing w/him just to spite the bros. He probably did it knowing the Sammy and VH fans would dig it, nothing more.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. she wants revenge
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03.31.06, 03:48 PM
  2. Mouse gets his revenge
    By rrussou812 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01.08.06, 05:16 PM
  3. Canon revenge
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11.25.05, 01:27 PM
  4. Downer's Revenge
    By gman1970 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08.01.02, 07:18 PM
  5. Downer's Revenge
    By gman1970 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08.01.02, 03:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •