Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

View Poll Results: Do you agree that SWTD sucks(Assuming you heard some/all of it)?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is by far the worst piece of garbage ever recorded.

6 33.33%
  • I actually like it!

9 50.00%
  • Dave's songs are good, but the rest is not.

2 11.11%
  • Dave's songs suck, but the rest is good. As suggested by the reviewer

1 5.56%
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 83 Posts

Default "Strumming With The Devil" proclaimed to be the worst thing ever recorded

All I can say is ouch! However, I have to agree that it sucks. I'm a Dave fan, but his career is shot to hell without a CVH reunion.

Source: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/200...lee_roths.html

Review:

DAVID LEE ROTH's "STRUMMING WITH THE DEVIL": IS THIS THE WORST ALBUM EVER RECORDED?
    Brad Kava, 02:16 PM in Brad Kava, Celebrities, Concerts, Music

It's sometimes hard to pick out the great albums...but the turkeys, well, it's like that rotten egg smell. You just can't miss it.

I submit that David Lee Roth's latest set subtitled "The Southern Side of Van Halen,' may not just be the worst album released this year. It may be the worst thing ever recorded.

And yes, I've heard Leonard Nimoy and WIlliam Shatner doing cover songs and Neil Young and Lou Reed doing feedback.

The sad thing for the people involved, a notable group of fine bluegrass players, is that when Roth isn't singing, the album is OK. But when Diamond Dave opens his mouth on "Jump" and "Jamie's Cryin','' well, this diamond is still coal.

It's worse than his radio show. It's worse than Eddie Van Halen's playing on the last tour. It would be worse than that Van Halen disc with the guy from Extreme singing, except, that Roth only sings on three cuts.

The disc is another in a new tradition of musicians trying unlikely genres. We've got classical and reggae Radiohead, lesbian and bluegrass AC/DC, bluegrass and reggae Pink Floyd. The joke wears thin quickly, but they make great fillers on mixtapes.

The trouble with bluegrass Van Halen, at least when Diamond Dave sings, is that he is wailing as if he's playing with Van Halen, with bluegrass in the backround. It's like clueless karaoke. No sense of irony, or that the songs and the delivery should change backed by fiddles and banjos of the John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band.

And, I should add: I'm a Roth fan. He's a funny interview and is, for my money, the best Van Halen singer.

But he's struggled for a foothold in his post Van Halen life, trying swing, lounge, salsa, straight covers of VH, being a paramedic and a radio deejay, and now he's hit bottom.

But he does know the way to San Jose...like the character in the famous song, he's playing here July 29, as part of San Jose's Grand Prix.
    What are your major influences?

"Our major influences are my cock, Schlitz Malt Liquor, fast cars, loud music, volume. You know, all the usual."

DLR-1977

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

10.24.13 @ 07:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not going to lie. One song is tolerable and I actually enjoy the album one song at a time. After that it gets annoying. Worst alblum ever? NO, not by a long shot.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:33 AM
    Liked 1,601 Times in 983 Posts

Donor

Ouch.

Worst ever? That's a stretch.

Even if Dave gargled a mouthful of shit and tampons, any form of properly executed Kentucky Bluegrass couldn't possibly reach the ninth level of Hell album low of Pat Boone covering Stairway to Heaven, Enter Sandman, and Panama.

Or Van Halen III.

Last edited by Van Squalen; 07.01.06 at 10:16 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo-House of Pain
    Last Online

05.07.12 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Years ago a band called "Dangerous Toys" came out and my friend asked me to give it a listen. I did. I wished I never did. That night, I couldn't sleep a wink because the songs were stuck in my head and annoying the hell out me. Easily, the worst album/ band ever, IMO. I think it was almost 20 yrs ago, still the worst to me. On a side note, the worst live band I saw was 3rd Eye Blind edging out Whitesnake.
    MTV ruined music!

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

The guy that wrote this article must have never heard of Hip Hop or Rap.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

The worst album ever? Definately not!

Certainly it's not the best post VH Dave project, but I take it for what it is... A FUN project!
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've only heard a few tracks. I think worst ever is a bit of a stretch. I agree completely about Dave's vocals. From the second I heard/saw him the first time I thought "jeez...did they just lift his track and lay it over the bluegrass?" But I'm fine with the concept of it. It's pretty impressive hearing those fiddle and banjo players rip into Ed's solos and such...

And the fact that he couldn't get through his review without taking a shot at VHIII shows he doesnt know what he's talking about anyways so to hell with him!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Did anyone catch that Hagar made a comment about Dave's latest project on a recent intereview? He said that Dave is now doing hee haa music. I bet he and MA (and Mona) got word that Dave was going to be on Leno and they watched it eatin' popcorn for a laugh. I've always thought I had Hagar down, but the interview was very confusing. He said he "loves Dave?" Does anyone remember how much he ripped on Dave during the 2002 tour? My only guess is that after dealing with the 2004 version of EVH, he now knows that the 2001 CVH reunion falling through wasn't all Dave's fault. And that compared to the 04 tour, Dave was actually more fun (relatively speaking).
    Last edited by edvanheineken; 07.02.06 at 07:48 AM.

"Our major influences are my cock, Schlitz Malt Liquor, fast cars, loud music, volume. You know, all the usual."

DLR-1977

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Runaround
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

edvanheineken, love your name. Did DLR call EVH that once in an interview shortly after he left Van Halen?

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VHfan79
    edvanheineken, love your name. Did DLR call EVH that once in an interview shortly after he left Van Halen?

Thanks! Yes, I did get the idea from Dave. You know how Dave is. He was really pissed after the 2001 CVH reunion failed. He actually used it on several interviews. I thought it was funny and took it as a screen name. Ya know, after seeing the sad state Ed is in due to his drinking, I've since then regreted using it a bit. When it gets that pathetic, it isn't funny any more.

DLR-1977

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by edvanheineken
    Thanks! Yes, I did get the idea from Dave. You know how Dave is. He was really pissed after the 2001 CVH reunion failed. He actually used it on several interviews. I thought it was funny and took it as a screen name. Ya know, after seeing the sad state Ed is in due to his drinking, I've since then regreted using it a bit. When it gets that pathetic, it isn't funny any more.
    Does anyone have any other photos or video footage of this sad state that he is in besides that photo of him on a red carpet or wherever he was where they were implying he was holding his dentures in his hand, it looked more like a book of matches to me but whatever...I watched the Chesney videos and he seemed pretty happy. His body was ripped for the VHIII and '04 tour, and not junkie ripped either...it looked like he was in pretty good shape. His playing can be debated forever, I'm just talking about what the guy actually looks like and what he sounds like when he speaks. I just haven't seen any pictures or anything but everyone keeps talking about how they know and see him in such bad shape...
    Last edited by broken9500; 07.02.06 at 10:10 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey, I'm as ecclectic as they come... so I say that Strummin' With The Devil is worth a listen to by any VH fan. Yeah, it's not great because it is not VH. However, it's excellent bluegrass picking and most of the arrangements are very good. The production is well done and the sound of the acoustic instruments are great. DLR sounds ok on his 2 tracks. I think he did a good job.

Could This Be Magic is very good. It's got a like a dixieland swing type feel or something to it.

Other notable tracks are I'll Wait, Running With The Devil, Ice Cream Man and Unchained.

The arrangement for Panama was poor and I thought the banjo doing eruption was pretty bad.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon