Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.12.06 @ 01:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Hands Down the Best Slam Dunk Classic VH Reunion Agenda. after a little rambling.

i can't remember.... who claims to have written the 'new' dave songs for the Best Of?? is it claimed at all that they wrote their own parts for that?? cuz i just listened to those for the first time since i initially heard them. when it first came out. as i've stated elsewhere i really moved on from all that 'hard rock' stuff a good ten or more years ago with i think perhaps only Fair Warning and 1984, in my opinion, not falling into that catagory.... and maybe 5150.... but i'd have to see about that...... so i think i've got a good perspective on the dave/eddie dynamic. and let me say this..... i don't know if this has been a common discussion.... or an accepted fact..... but eddie van halen wrote every inch of that song. words, melody which wasn't even a melody so much as a pacing, everything. that was eddie's faux poetic important stabs at 'meaningful' pretentious sloppy i-just-started-trying-to-write-songs-and-these-hopefully-won't-always-sound-like-this-but-i'm-just-learning-i'm-just-still-bad-at-it way of trying to convey SOMEthing while at the same time coming across as vaguely cliche. roth did NOt write that. it's riDICulous. i couldn't believe it. it's like they got a dave doll and pulled his string and out came what they'd written. that had to have been the deal. "ok dave, we let you come back for these songs but we're going to tell you what to sing". it's the most self-indulgent thing i've ever heard. eddie's tone is huMUNGous and fuzzy-in-a-cartoon-limp-bizkitish-lite-metallic tone. it's made to sound imPORtant and LOUd and center stage. and it has absolutely NO relation to what a vocalist was going to do or who was going to do it. this is a guy in a studio with his brother the drummer making up 'cool rock parts', arranging them without much regard for songcraft... other than we'll do this four times.... then this six....... and they just gett off and tell the singer what to do over it. that is nothing at ALL to do with what van halen was. i wish they'd have the good sense to go into the studio and record a collaborative effort from scratch. that is the ONLY thing i'd be interested in hearing. and the ONLY thing that won't suck. in fact, it would have to be at least somewhat inspired. but whatever. i'll do you one better..... they should film it. do you NOT think that would be the most talked about successful on a GRANDE scale tremendous event??? if you'd want it a spectacle.... you go in with ed a mess if he is in fact a mess..... BAD idea.... too many comparisons to the metallica thing..... and unnecessary ones. make it a rousing success story?......... everyone goes in healthy.... mike and all....... and we watch them HAVE to do it. with the whole world watching. argue. fight. create SOMEthing from a spark. for the first time in like twenty fucking years. just DO it. you want to show the whole world which one of you is right?? you want everyone to finally see for themselves?? if you're SO sure of yourself. i don't think they'd, like, LIVE together and all that real-worldian reality thing. that would be a trainwreck. what a way to see how they actually are NOW. as grown men. what they sound like. not what they're reliving. and do it as a multi-episode tasteful REAL documentary. not for fireworks. not for the trainwreck. but for the men in a studio making something work and connecting in ways they haven't since the early days and maybe never before. the REAL VAN HALEN. give me a break how brilliant would that be. TASTEFUL. RESPECTFUL. in the trenches. writing songs together. "here, i've got an idea.... oh here's what i'll do with that..." The Making Of Whatever Album Documentary DVD Set full PBS style very REAL documentary series. Whole. World. Talking about it. these complicated men with these amazing histories from one of the biggest fueds in rock n roll history coming together to see what there is to this connection that won't go away.

now THere's a good idea.
    a serious affair.
    the battles.
    the redemption.
    the maturation of a band no one ever dreamed would make it.
    THAT's a story.
    and bare bones.
    no multimillion dollar setting. not at ed's house. somewhere neutral. day in. day out.

it's a guarenteed winner. it seriously is. yet they won't do it. but think about it. INStant more respect. if it's done right. validation. either way. it's a guarenteed winner they won't do. what does that say? they didn't/wouldn't think of it?? well, i just did. their turn.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Complete sentences / Paragraphs are your friend

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would have liked to have read....but too tough on the eyes
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

All
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Premium Member

you lost me at:

"i can't remember.... "
    Happy Trails...

Kieffer

I might not remember everything, but I don't forget anything -- JPK

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

I remember my first beer, too.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

wow....um...we got a lot in there...somewhere...deep in there...um...let's see...the filming thing: well...it did wonders for the Beatles! Let it Be was a huge success and the cameras really facilitated their creative process and personal relations!! It really helped to heal all their personal issues. (That's not at all what happened.)

If Ed isn't a suicidal drunk, he would be before the Fox Reality Productions camera crew finished unpacking their shit. Sorry, exploitation does not encourage creativity.

Um...I'm not sure if you said you liked or didn't like MWM and CGTSNM. I for one think they and Humans Being might be the best three songs these people have ever come up with.

Yeah...I said it. The new guy who is obsessed with VH III think those three songs are about the the best in the entire catalogue. Wanna make something of it!? They are good tunes! If we'd had an album full of that, I think we'd ALL be happy right now....getting along, Sammy fans hugging Dave fans, Sammy fans giving Gary fans rides to the airport, Dave fans pouring shots of Cabo Wabo tequilla for Sammy fans...

I'm not sure what else you wrote, my eyes started glaze over. To the right of the keyboard, not the far right, but towards the right middle side, you'll see a key marked "enter." Use it.

nice idea for a thread though!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Ted the Bud Light Daredevil couldn't make it through that post...
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

On fire, SGMAD
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

its just the same as if i got a big email just consisting of werds.. i dont read them!
    "People ask me 'Dave, what's it like to be a rock and roll star?" I tell them 'It's simple: in your mind, line up every woman you've ever been with. Got 'em there? well, I wouldn't fuck any of them.'" - DLR

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

clearly this guy is hammered.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Cool, I see a lot of CAPS and...ellipses.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.12.06 @ 01:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow... hence you guys unable to get past the classic rock of your youth. and your band's inability to get past you. attention span folks??? a little effort and focus people???? apparently too much to ask of lifelong hard rock dudes. next time i'll include more words like 'tunage' for you to latch on to. jesus. and if MWM is your idea of capable ANYTHING... songwriting, performance, tone, creativy..... then you deserve everything what you get. it is absolute garbage.
    Last edited by swoonfed; 07.01.06 at 02:56 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swoonfed
    wow... hence you guys unable to get past the classic rock of your youth. and your band's inability to get past you. attention span folks??? a little effort and focus people???? apparently too much to ask of lifelong hard rock dudes. next time i'll include more words like 'tunage' for you to latch on to. jesus. and if MWM is your idea of capable ANYTHING... songwriting, performance, tone, creativy..... then you deserve everything what you get. it is absolute garbage.

You're making a lot of assumptions about people on this board that you've not interacted with. How do you come to the conclusion that no one can "get past" anything? Due to the fact we prefer to read paragraphs that have complete sentences and coherent thoughts? :
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Did you wake up with a hangover?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

i can't remember.... who claims to have written the 'new' dave songs for the Best Of?? is it claimed at all that they wrote their own parts for that?? cuz i just listened to those for the first time since i initially heard them. when it first came out. as i've stated elsewhere i really moved on from all that 'hard rock' stuff a good ten or more years ago with i think perhaps only Fair Warning and 1984, in my opinion, not falling into that catagory.... and maybe 5150.... but i'd have to see about that...... so i think i've got a good perspective on the dave/eddie dynamic. and let me say this..... i don't know if this has been a common discussion.... or an accepted fact..... but eddie van halen wrote every inch of that song. words, melody which wasn't even a melody so much as a pacing, everything. that was eddie's faux poetic important stabs at 'meaningful' pretentious sloppy i-just-started-trying-to-write-songs-and-these-hopefully-won't-always-sound-like-this-but-i'm-just-learning-i'm-just-still-bad-at-it way of trying to convey SOMEthing while at the same time coming across as vaguely cliche. roth did NOt write that. it's riDICulous. i couldn't believe it. it's like they got a dave doll and pulled his string and out came what they'd written. that had to have been the deal. "ok dave, we let you come back for these songs but we're going to tell you what to sing". it's the most self-indulgent thing i've ever heard. eddie's tone is huMUNGous and fuzzy-in-a-cartoon-limp-bizkitish-lite-metallic tone. it's made to sound imPORtant and LOUd and center stage. and it has absolutely NO relation to what a vocalist was going to do or who was going to do it. this is a guy in a studio with his brother the drummer making up 'cool rock parts', arranging them without much regard for songcraft... other than we'll do this four times.... then this six....... and they just gett off and tell the singer what to do over it. that is nothing at ALL to do with what van halen was. i wish they'd have the good sense to go into the studio and record a collaborative effort from scratch. that is the ONLY thing i'd be interested in hearing. and the ONLY thing that won't suck. in fact, it would have to be at least somewhat inspired. but whatever. i'll do you one better..... they should film it. do you NOT think that would be the most talked about successful on a GRANDE scale tremendous event??? if you'd want it a spectacle.... you go in with ed a mess if he is in fact a mess..... BAD idea.... too many comparisons to the metallica thing..... and unnecessary ones. make it a rousing success story?......... everyone goes in healthy.... mike and all....... and we watch them HAVE to do it. with the whole world watching. argue. fight. create SOMEthing from a spark. for the first time in like twenty fucking years. just DO it. you want to show the whole world which one of you is right?? you want everyone to finally see for themselves?? if you're SO sure of yourself. i don't think they'd, like, LIVE together and all that real-worldian reality thing. that would be a trainwreck. what a way to see how they actually are NOW. as grown men. what they sound like. not what they're reliving. and do it as a multi-episode tasteful REAL documentary. not for fireworks. not for the trainwreck. but for the men in a studio making something work and connecting in ways they haven't since the early days and maybe never before. the REAL VAN HALEN. give me a break how brilliant would that be. TASTEFUL. RESPECTFUL. in the trenches. writing songs together. "here, i've got an idea.... oh here's what i'll do with that..." The Making Of Whatever Album Documentary DVD Set full PBS style very REAL documentary series. Whole. World. Talking about it. these complicated men with these amazing histories from one of the biggest fueds in rock n roll history coming together to see what there is to this connection that won't go away.

now THere's a good idea.
    a serious affair.
    the battles.
    the redemption.
    the maturation of a band no one ever dreamed would make it.
    THAT's a story.
    and bare bones.
    no multimillion dollar setting. not at ed's house. somewhere neutral. day in. day out.

it's a guarenteed winner. it seriously is. yet they won't do it. but think about it. INStant more respect. if it's done right. validation. either way. it's a guarenteed winner they won't do. what does that say? they didn't/wouldn't think of it?? well, i just did. their turn.
    I know you don't work in Marketing. A+ for effort though.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

09.07.06 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Obviously, not an English major either, but it's still an interesting idea.
    Come on baby(Van Halen), Finish What Ya Started. I'm incomplete!!!!!

One out of every four people is mentally disturbed. Look at your three best friends, if they all seem O.K. then it's you.

Growing old is a requirement. Growing up is an option!

Why am I a pessimist? 'Cause I'm either always proven right, or at least pleasantly surprised.

A friend will bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, "Dude, that was freakin' AWESOME!"

lance.freeman1@us.army.mil
    sirlancelot2112@hotmail.com