Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Pre-recorded backing vocals

A while back there was an interview from Sam about the Other Half not using an pre-recorded keys and vocals during this tour... At the time I remember thinking that he must be jast rambling but I just noticed that on the Tokyo '88 video that a majority of the back-ups are indeed pre-recorded. You can really tell on When it's Love when Michael is the only one at the mic and there are these great harmonies coming out. Pretty dissapointing IMO. Definitely the lazy way to make things sound good.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chances are it was done after the fact. A lot of those shows that are taped, are also multitracked and tweaked when they remix the audio.....and sometimes things are rerecorded to clean them up.......everything's fake in life, boobs, TV, music.....people.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.29.12 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do know that they do that. I wasn't sure if this originally aired live or not. Does anyone know where that show originated? All I know is that it was at the Tokyodome in 1988.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    Chances are it was done after the fact. A lot of those shows that are taped, are also multitracked and tweaked when they remix the audio.....and sometimes things are rerecorded to clean them up.......everything's fake in life, boobs, TV, music.....people.
    does that mean Hulk Hogan too? Wrestling's not fake is it?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Backing vocals are added in post-production. But I think I read that when "Fitz" was playing keys off-stage, he also did backing vocals. Anyone?
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's no big deal. Many bands have been using recorded tracks for back up vocals for a long time. For example Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Aerosmith etc... Hell, almost all major "commercial" bands have backing tracks these days. I play in a band that uses back up tracks. Keys, vocals, sound effects, acoustic guitars etc. That doesn't mean we are faking because we play and sing our asses off every night and are good musicans. We produce and record our own tracks, which is an accomplishment in itself ... the tracks just add to the over all sound of the production. We don't use it as a crutch for lack of musicianship or laziness, we just use the tracks to fatten up the sound. With just 1 guitar, bass, drummer and singer we have a lot of ground to cover as it is... In every case having back up tracks doesn't always = poor musicians. It's purely a production element. Sometimes I miss the days when it was just 3 guys jamming ala ZZ TOP and no frills ... and trust me, if that is what I could do to help pay the bills then I would be OK WITH THAT.

Additionally . . . Lipsyncing and air jamming are totally taboo of course!!!

Just my 2 cents . . .
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I noticed early on in the 04 tour that this was happening.

On Fire
    Last Online

04.26.09 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I suspected as far back as Balance, myslelf. The back ground stuff for Don't Tell Me was too spot on, the 4 times I saw them sing that song. Too perfect for live but I could tell the instruments were live. Didn't really bother me though.

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanBlu
    I suspected as far back as Balance, myslelf. The back ground stuff for Don't Tell Me was too spot on, the 4 times I saw them sing that song. Too perfect for live but I could tell the instruments were live. Didn't really bother me though.
    Take a look at the Front House Rack if you can ever get close enough. In 86 when they were out with BTO opening. There were at least 3 Eventide ultra harmonziers in the rack. The engineer would fade the Harmonizer in and out on a couple of strips that were managed by a sub fader. They also compressed the shit out of the background vocals so that made for a really thick vocal mix. Mike is so loud vocally that he can easily over power the background. I saw this. It is not uncommon to do this live. Remember Mike is spot on and has perfect pitch. The guy is no slouch so I think that most guys mixing will tell you the whole thing starts and ends with a guy who can sing on key and consistantly.

Favorite VH Album

Can't Decide
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To Choose From
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

During the F.U.C.K. tour, I could have sworn I heard the second guitar part (rhythm, 1st & 2nd verse) on 'Spanked' pre-recorded. Mike was playing bass, obviously and EVH was sporting the EBMM double-neck playing the sub-octivator riff. You don't hear the second guitar on RHRN album. I remember reading an article where Eddie talked about removing 'Spanked' from the setlist later in the tour because of the hassle of changing the instrument setup or something to that effect.

Favorite VH Album

All of them not titled III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Unchained, 5150
    Last Online

10.30.06 @ 04:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Backing vocals and backing tracks are no big deal to me. Don't ever remember seeing Ed slammin the keys on "Right Now", but you always hear it live (besides, I'd rather see him out front w/a guitar in hand than in the background behind a big-ass keyboard).

Last Online

07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

i only noticed backround vocals during the FUCK days.
    really bad.

not really anywhere else though..... they might be hevaily compressed on the OU812 tour but not necessarily faked.

but during the FUCK days man did they fake it. even listen to RHRN or watch the video and that proves it there when they could have mixed it out. even bootlegs.

wowzers its like kiss on the hot in the shade tour in 1990 when you can hear gene sing back up vocals on some songs but is mysteriously not near any microphones.

Last Online

07.11.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500
    does that mean Hulk Hogan too? Wrestling's not fake is it?
    No, of course not. Why do you ask?

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh
    During the F.U.C.K. tour, I could have sworn I heard the second guitar part (rhythm, 1st & 2nd verse) on 'Spanked' pre-recorded. Mike was playing bass, obviously and EVH was sporting the EBMM double-neck playing the sub-octivator riff. You don't hear the second guitar on RHRN album. I remember reading an article where Eddie talked about removing 'Spanked' from the setlist later in the tour because of the hassle of changing the instrument setup or something to that effect.
    I think Ed said he couldn't get his wireless to work too well with the doubleneck. If you watch the RHRN video, he's using a cord with it.

Just an off-topic tidbit...

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

On "Don't Tell Me" on the Balance tour, I also noticed that the background vocals were almost too clean. Didn't matter to me though.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com