Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default My Take On Balance

This came up yesterday on another thread and though I've given this record several "chances" it occurred to me that I had not really sat down and really tried to soak this one in. So...I spent all last night and all of today thus far listening to it...over and over and over again.

Generally, I must say, it's better than I gave it credit for...it has some good moments on it. It occurred to me last night that it sounds a lot like the record "between" FUCK and VHIII...if that makes sense. It is a bit darker than previous VH albums but still has a foot firmly planted in the identity that had been established. That said, I think this record suffers from just as much "lack of focus" as III does, the only difference is there seems to be concerted effort to not let things get to far away from the "formula" which at times, makes the songs seem a bit confused or constricted.

Ok...a quick track by track:

Sevent Seal - once I get over the Poundcake thing, it is a pretty good tune...nothing tremendous, but pretty good.

Can't Stop Loving You - really well crafted van hagar love pop...and there ain't a damn thing wrong with that! Even coming from a "prima donna" such as I, I love a good love song and I think this is a good one...

Don't Tell Me - Reminds of the kind of stuff Bon Jovi was putting out around the same time on the These Days album. I mean that in the best of ways. There's some really ambitious work on this record and Sammy impressed me with where he went with it. I can't stand his voice but I like this song.

Amsterdam - might be the finest musical moment of the record but jeez the lyrics...damn...

Big Fat Money - I get what they were going for, but I don't think they got there. I get the whole "Rock and Roll from Led Zep" thing but I don't think this song is executed very well...lyrics could have been a little more clever and still be a cool boogie woogie thing.

Strung Out - I actually used this when I was teaching a music class in an elementary school once when we were talking "sounds" and finding music in every day life and a bunch of other stuff...it is what it is...

Not Enough - reminds me of Journey, that's not a knock. It's one of those huge bombastic rock ballad/anthems...it's a good tune but didn't do a ton for me.

Aftershock - Incredible music. They're really cooking on this one...but this is one of those songs that sounds confused...it seems to want to be dark at times when it gets bright and the lyrics and melody don't really do it for me. But the music is powerful. ("and that's a FACT"...heeheehee)

Doin' Time - neat drum bit...it is what it is

Baluchitherium - It's a cool piece...but it had that whole Steve Vai, Joe Satch kinda vibe and that's not really my thing...I like instrumental music a lot but sometimes electric guitar instrumental music has the tendency to be homogenous.

Take Me Back - eh...just an average tune...great example of lyrics that just don't do it for me...i wonder what a different melody and lyrical approach would have done.

Feelin' - I like this tune. This tune is pretty damn cool.

So that's it...it's not as bad as I thought I thought it was...but it still isn't great. The production is indeed great...I think if I took the best off this and the best off FUCK, I'd have my favourite Van Hagar record...

Anyway, there you have it.

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Man, I completely disagree with you on just about every song. I like the ones you don't and hate the ones you like!

A lot of ripping on the lyrics... you must not be SH fan. They are some of his best.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

I love the sound of Balance. It's the best sounding album they did with Hagar.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by F'nRockstar
    Man, I completely disagree with you on just about every song. I like the ones you don't and hate the ones you like!

A lot of ripping on the lyrics... you must not be SH fan. They are some of his best.
    how funny! I'd love to hear your opinion on these tunes...I really feel I'm coming to this record for the first time because of how little attention I've honestly given it. I'm not a big SH fan...his voice drives me up the wall...all I can say about Sammy is that when he's on he's really really on but when he's average or below average he really stinks. I think his best work has been with VH, there's not a single SH solo song I like, but I really like some of his stuff with VH. I just can't stand his voice...my god. I really enjoy it when he's not doing the scream high pitch stuff, you know, that kind of speak/sing thing he does a lot...but man, when turns it up, wow...just not my thing. But I'd love to hear more about what you think about balance...I've always enjoyed hearing other people's POV, sometimes it helps me appreciate things that I wouldn't have been able to if I were just in my own world...you know what I mean?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by F'nRockstar
    Man, I completely disagree with you on just about every song.
    I was just about to say that.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

02.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

don't let the peer pressure get to you...balance is VH's worst album ever...you know it's true
    let's be real...EVH was GOD

Runnin' might put too much focus on the fact that there's a little kid on bass - knuck

I see three bona fide ROCK GODS, and then somebody's kid. - CaboTime

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by elvhfan
    don't let the peer pressure get to you...balance is VH's worst album ever...you know it's true
    i'm going to spend the next several days listening to OU812, my other least favourite album...i'll have to get back to you...it's going to be a close one!
    Last edited by broken9500; 06.28.06 at 12:28 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:56 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

add Diver Down to the worst list too.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZORBA5150
    add Diver Down to the worst list too.
    and VH3

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:40 PM
    Liked 1,595 Times in 981 Posts

Donor

1. Diver's 4 original tracks are an essential part of true brown sound Van Halen.

2. Balance worse than FUCK, II, III, OU812? Um. Not.

3. Q tips are a good thing.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen

1. Diver's 4 original tracks are an essential part of true brown sound Van Halen.

That just about sums it all up
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i think I prefer FUCK to Balance though I have many of the same qualms...I think FUCK has some of the coolest music ever...just some really strong arrangements...stuff like Pleasure Dome and Spanked...but, and I know everyone will jump all over me again, but the lyrics just didn't seem to match the vibe of the songs on a lot of occasions...But before everyone chimes in with the "you're just a lyric obssessed sammy hating dick" take a breath. I like FUCK, a lot. I think it's a great record and might be my favourite Van Hagar album.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen

i'd put fuck, ii and three ahead of balance...as of right now...i may flip flop later...diver's 4 original tracks are essential.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not Enough is growing on me after spending all day today listening to Balance. It's pretty good actually.

Baseball Season!
    Favorite VH Album

VHII / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street / Judgement Day
    Last Online

05.11.09 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My take:
    I - 10
    1984 - 10
    Fair Warning - 9.5
    5150 - 9
    WACF - 8.5
    OU812 - 7.5
    II - 7.3
    Balance - 7.2
    FUCK 7
    DD - 6.5
    III - 5 (The Russian judge gave III a 2.5 thus lowering overall score)

Ratings are based on the VH scale which requires a multiple of 1.5 when compared to the works of any other bands. (Example: FUCK would be a 10.5 on the Bon Jovi scale)
    "Your right little girl. If women ruled the world there wouldn't be any more war; all the countries would just nag each other to death"
    Archie Bunker

"Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough"
    Captain Augustus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove"

"He has erected a Multitude of new Offices, and sent hither Swarms of Officers to harrass our People, and eat out their Substance." - The Declaration of Independence