Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Need advice Ipod vs Zen Vision M

I've narrowed it down to these two. I keep hesitating on buying an ipod because I just don't want to be limited and feel from what I've read that I will be. From what I've read downloading files and converting them off the ipod can be a real pain if you want to use them on your computer.

On the other hand I've read nothing but glowing reviews for the Zen Vision M. The big things holding be back from buying it are:

lack of ad ons for it.
    it's only 30gb - 60gb ipod
    and the screen is on 2.5 - 4 on the ipod
    no backup like the ipod

But the pluses I've read on the Vision M seem to be really huge. The ease of using it. The easy of converting files to and from the computer. No paying for the radio part so you can download straight from the radio to the player. 32 stations on the radio. You have a voice recorder feature that the ipod doesn't have. I could use that in meetings. It's not as sensistive as the ipod. One reviewer said they dropped it down a flight of stairs and it was fine. Didn't hurt the player.

So tell me folks. Any of you out there have the Vision M or the ipod 60?

I keep going back to the ipod, but I tell you the Vision M is starting to turn my head. I'm pretty technically challenged and it sounds like it might be easier for me to use. But double the storage space sounds pretty nice to me also.

I'm confused. Plus I keep hearing ipods break really easy. Any truth to this?
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

I bought a Zen Vision M at the beginning of the year and it is awesome! The battery life alone for video makes it worthwhile. Most mpegs and avis I put in it don't even need to be converted. The sound is killer and it is very easy to transport songs onto. I've found it odd that Creative hasn't advertised it much, because it is a kickass product, and I'm very proud to own one. I was in the same predicament as you, because the iPod is sweet. The main difference I believe is video compatability and battery length for video. I have heard that the Zen Vision M has better sound, but I can't verify that. Good luck! Both are great products, I think.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Joe. You're comments are right on par with reviews from other owns I've seen. I know it won some big electronics award also. I don't understand why Creative isn't advertising it more either.

I wonder if they aren't coming out with a newer one.

I called them and asked about that and their sales rep took my first name and number and said she that the big wigs are in the office the week so that means that there may be some kind of announcement coming. She's supposed to call me by the end of the week and let me know one way or the other so I can make up my mind.

The Zen Vision has gotten less than nice reviews because it seems to have less ease on the conversion of movies. Software issues with that and the screen isn't as easy to watch as the Vision M I guess. But it does offer backup like the ipod and the bigger viewing screen. But it's only 30gb and it's $400. I really talked hard and long about why it didn't offer any more than the ipod, had less memory and cost as much. On that they had no answer and then said well, maybe you'd like the Vision M. LOL

She did tell me they have softwar patches available for free on their website that will fix any problems which is nice.

Have you used the Outlook feature at all on the Vision M?
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Sunya, you and I haven't always gotten along. Because of that, it's very tempting to suggest that you buy the Creative product!

You can't go wrong with an iPod. The iPod/iTunes/iTMS combination is incredibly powerful, yet so easy to use. Everything else pales by comparison. The iPod in and of itself is great, as are iTunes and the iTMS. Combine them and you've got something really special.

The negatives you've asked about with the iPods are myths. Most reviewers are fairly partisan, writing the review not so much to inform as to cement their choices in their own minds.

What you really should do is try them both. Walk into an Apple Store and play. Try iTunes, try iPods. Do the same with the Creative player, and find out what jukebox software its using then try that. See if it has the kind of seamless integration that the iPod and iTunes has.

I love Apple products, but the moment something comes along that's better I'm switching. I've got zero brand loyalty. I've been using iPods since 2003. Before that I used Creative (MP3) and Sony (minidisc) products.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    Sunya, you and I haven't always gotten along. Because of that, it's very tempting to suggest that you buy the Creative product!

You can't go wrong with an iPod. The iPod/iTunes/iTMS combination is incredibly powerful, yet so easy to use. Everything else pales by comparison. The iPod in and of itself is great, as are iTunes and the iTMS. Combine them and you've got something really special.

The negatives you've asked about with the iPods are myths. Most reviewers are fairly partisan, writing the review not so much to inform as to cement their choices in their own minds.

What you really should do is try them both. Walk into an Apple Store and play. Try iTunes, try iPods. Do the same with the Creative player, and find out what jukebox software its using then try that. See if it has the kind of seamless integration that the iPod and iTunes has.

I love Apple products, but the moment something comes along that's better I'm switching. I've got zero brand loyalty. I've been using iPods since 2003. Before that I used Creative (MP3) and Sony (minidisc) products.

There's the best advice so far, try it for yourself. I have had zero issues with my iPod so far and I'm going on 2 or 3 years with mine. When I've talked to people who own one, I don't ever hear any issues on ease of use. Good luck and I hope you make the right choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, thanks MikeL and onefoot. I was really hoping to hear from owners of both.

Question for you ipod owners. Have either of you put LL's broadcasts on your ipods? Was it an easy? Could you just download it onto the ipod?

Remember I'm techincally challenged. Simple is good.

Hum I'm going to visit my son this weekend. Guess we might have to go to the ipod shop in the Orlando Mall so I can check them out.
    Last edited by Sunya; 06.21.06 at 02:25 PM.
    --Mark Twain

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's very easy. When I get a new mp3 file, I double click on it. That opens up iTunes, and iTunes automatically copies the file into my music library. The next time that I plug my iPod in, the iPod syncs with iTunes and all new files/playlists are transfered to my iPod. The only thing in that series that I have to do is to double click and then connect my iPod. It's truly easy and simple to the point where you don't think about it.

What I really like about iTunes are Smart Playlists. They let you create a set of rules for what a playlist will contain, and then iTunes fills that playlist with songs that meet the criteria you've set. That sounds more complicated than it is. I listen to a lot of radio shows that I download, but I don't want to listen to any individual episode more than once. What I do is create a Smart Playlist that looks for two things: the name (K-Scum, for instance), and the play count (which I would want to be 0). When I want to listen, I just pick that playlist and I know that I'll hear a show that I haven't heard before. For some shows I have literally thousands of hours that I haven't listened to and thousands that I have, so this is killer-diller for me.

You can make a Smart Playlist with any criteria that you want. Only Van Halen? Cool. Only Van Halen before 1985? Even cooler. It's really easy, and once you spend two minutes setting it up it does all of the work after that for you, for as long as you keep the playlist.

I'd wager that most iPod owners don't even know about that. Most people just load it up and play without giving it a second thought, which is cool. It can be just that simple, or it can be a bit fancier. It's all up to how you want to use it and what you expect out of it.

Podcasts (guess where the name came from, eh?) are awesome. Apple has a very slick system of letting a person subscribe to them from the iTunes Music Store. The podcasts are all free, and iTunes automatically checks for new episodes and downloads them. There are thousands upon thousands of them available, too. Just looking now, there are 272 podcasts about poetry (of all things), each with one or more episodes. Almost 4,000 in Talk Radio. If you're interested in something, they'll likely have it. LLFS should look into getting KSCUM into that.

The most work you'll have with any MP3 player is getting your music digitized and off of CDs. I've got iTunes set so that when I put a CD into the computer, it launches, gets the track names and information, rips the tracks into AAC (I like that better than MP3) files, and then spits out the CD. On my machine it takes maybe 5 minutes to rip a CD. If you've got a few hundred, you'll want to get organized about how you do it. I'd just do it while you're playing on the Internet. It doesn't seem like such a chore that way.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:39 AM
    Liked 460 Times in 212 Posts

It's very easy. When I get a new mp3 file, I double click on it. That opens up iTunes, and iTunes automatically copies the file into my music library. The next time that I plug my iPod in, the iPod syncs with iTunes and all new files/playlists are transfered to my iPod. The only thing in that series that I have to do is to double click and then connect my iPod. It's truly easy and simple to the point where you don't think about it.

What I really like about iTunes are Smart Playlists. They let you create a set of rules for what a playlist will contain, and then iTunes fills that playlist with songs that meet the criteria you've set. That sounds more complicated than it is. I listen to a lot of radio shows that I download, but I don't want to listen to any individual episode more than once. What I do is create a Smart Playlist that looks for two things: the name (K-Scum, for instance), and the play count (which I would want to be 0). When I want to listen, I just pick that playlist and I know that I'll hear a show that I haven't heard before. For some shows I have literally thousands of hours that I haven't listened to and thousands that I have, so this is killer-diller for me.

You can make a Smart Playlist with any criteria that you want. Only Van Halen? Cool. Only Van Halen before 1985? Even cooler. It's really easy, and once you spend two minutes setting it up it does all of the work after that for you, for as long as you keep the playlist.

I'd wager that most iPod owners don't even know about that. Most people just load it up and play without giving it a second thought, which is cool. It can be just that simple, or it can be a bit fancier. It's all up to how you want to use it and what you expect out of it.

Podcasts (guess where the name came from, eh?) are awesome. Apple has a very slick system of letting a person subscribe to them from the iTunes Music Store. The podcasts are all free, and iTunes automatically checks for new episodes and downloads them. There are thousands upon thousands of them available, too. Just looking now, there are 272 podcasts about poetry (of all things), each with one or more episodes. Almost 4,000 in Talk Radio. If you're interested in something, they'll likely have it. LLFS should look into getting KSCUM into that.

The most work you'll have with any MP3 player is getting your music digitized and off of CDs. I've got iTunes set so that when I put a CD into the computer, it launches, gets the track names and information, rips the tracks into AAC (I like that better than MP3) files, and then spits out the CD. On my machine it takes maybe 5 minutes to rip a CD. If you've got a few hundred, you'll want to get organized about how you do it. I'd just do it while you're playing on the Internet. It doesn't seem like such a chore that way.

meh. I prefer the itune MP4's to other providers MP3's.
    Last edited by NoBrownM&M's; 06.21.06 at 03:04 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok Mike, what is the backup feature? Is it like my memory stick? Would I be buying something like that to backup the information from my ipod onto?

Also how easy is using the ipod in your car? I can't play mp3 CDs in my car CD player and don't want to buy and new player for the car.
    --Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BTW, I really appericate all the input from everyone. I've really struggled with this. Silly I know, but the ipod I'm looking at is a lot of $$ or I think it is. Well so is the Vision M.

Mike you've really been helpful. Thanks so much.

I'm really confused about all of these things. There are so many of them the choice has really been difficult. And I've really been reading a lot to even get it narrowed down to these two.
    Last edited by Sunya; 06.21.06 at 03:41 PM.
    --Mark Twain

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Backup? What backup? If you mean "what happens to my music if my iPod has a problem?" the answer is that your music is still on your computer. Reset the iPod, and plug it back into the computer. It'll reload all of the music.

As far as your car goes, what I do is to use a tape adaptor. Nothing fancy. If you don't have a tape player, you can get an FM transmitter for the iPod that'll let you listen through the car stereo.

One thing you'll find is that having an iPod completely changes how you listen to music. No thinking about what CDs are where, you always have your music with you, and you rediscover many things that you had forgotten about.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Sunya
    Silly I know, but the ipod I'm looking at is a lot of $$ or I think it is.
    It is a lot of money. The way I rationalize it is this: I've spent a small fortune on music over the years. That money is an investment. If something--be it a new stereo, iPod, new speakers, whatever--let's me get more use and enjoyment out of my music library then it is money well spent. The iPod really does that for me.

One thing I haven't mentioned is audio books. When I'm busy and can't devote hours to reading, they give me my fix. You can set iTunes to create bookmarkable MP3s, so that a track starts up where you last stopped listening to it. When my commute used to be longer I'd listen to them.

I record most of the class lectures in school, and sometimes I'll listen to those. Not the most exciting of stuff, but useful at times.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 30 and 60gb ipods have a backup feature. I'm under the impression that you by something like a regular memory stick that plugs into your ipod. I saw the feature on the apple site.

I don't have a tape player. I'd have to buy the radio transmitter feature. I've seen that. Not sure how that works, but if I got with ipod I guess I'll go that way.

I'm figuring if I go with ipod the first trip to the ipod store is gonna cost me around $500.
    --Mark Twain

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Perhaps you mean that you can back up files (not necessarily sound files, but anything) from your computer to your iPod? There aren't any memory card slots on an iPod.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

I'm STILL in this process I have them set to rip 128 MP3 and I've been doing it alphabetically. I'm up to "P" Pantera, I have 5239 songs on my 60gb Ipod so far.

I haven't even messed around with any of the features like the podcasts or video stuff. Once I get all these damn cd's ripped I'll get around to that.