Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default 1st Ever Post-Startint with a "Doozy" VHIII

Bear with me for a moment as I simply introduce myself and the context within which I've decided to actually join the Van Halen community...I do have a question/topic for the forum and really look forward to hearing your input.

I consider myself a passionate Van Halen fan...not just Edward Van Halen or Alex Van Halen, but of the group and their body of work. I have lots of opinions about them, good and bad, but in the end, I'm what I suppose you can call a "die-hard." Just to tell you where I'm coming from I'll give you a quick run down of where I stand:

1. I do think Edward is one of the most, if not truly innovative, one of the most influential players we've had. And the reason I qualify that is because there are people that feel he wasn't innovative, but was simply the one that brought whatever he did the "mainstream," that he was simply doing what many before were already doing etc etc…regardless, he's Edward Van Halen and he is what he is.

2. I tend to prefer "Van Roth" to "Van Hagar" Simply; I enjoy the sultry arrogant "rock and roll" of their early days. I do truly enjoy some of the "Van Hagar" years but to be true, the chip on Hagar's shoulder is off putting, but not as off putting as his voice...my god forgive me, but jeez...I really can't stand it.

3. This is my last bullet point before my actual question/comment for the forum (though I welcome comments on this stuff too) The main thing that I believe separates me from what I consider "the average passionate van Halen fan" is I believe I really do approach this band, and any bands, body of work a little differently. Van Halen fans seem to be in 'camps.' We are in the "Only Van Roth is REAL Van Halen" camp or we're in the "Only the Van Hagar Van Halen is the REAL Van Halen camp" or we're in the "I don't care if it's Dave or Sammy but it damn well ain't Gary" camp etc etc. I don't think I'm in a camp. I spent my life during their music making days anxiously awaiting where they were going to go really interested to know if I'd like it, if it would feel like Ed and the others involved liked and that was it. I don't begrudge Ed for getting "artistically antsy" so to speak and wanting to "try this" or "explore that" or whatever. That’s what creative people do. So...this brings me to my question/point:

Now, not quite 10 years later, I listen to VH III as often as I do Fair Warning and the one thing that sticks with me is "Man...Where would this have gone?!" And I say that with enthusiasm. The day I heard the first single I was in my office and flipped. It was SO different and SO interesting to me. I really thought, and I could WAAAAY OFF, that we were finally going to hear what Edward was capable of with a capable singer/songwriter. Forgive me, but all the positives that Hagar and Roth brought and as cool as they were in their own ways, I don't think they can hold a candle to Cherone in as much as pure singing ability, lack of ego/chip/complex and sheer creative ambition and creative ability to back it up. Now, the record had several problems. It wasn't mixed very well. The songs did feel awkward in a lot of ways but to me, it sounded like their "Rubber Soul;" A record that was laying the groundwork for something greater. To me it was their "getting to know you record" and I was really looking forward to the next. My biggest fear was that the Van Halen audience would not let it happen. It didn't. Many of us are happy about that.

So here is the question...all this time later, VH III still stands, in my eyes, as a beautiful example of "what could have been." If this record had come out at a time when their "legacy" was not so permanently set in stone, if it came in a time when audiences were more allowing when it came to their favourite bands "growing" or "changing" or whatever, would this have been their "Rubber Soul" or whatever....my feeling is that the basic reason that Edward has never really done anything really significant since then is that this kind of took the wind out of his sails...he seemed to be really stoked and when it wasn't welcomed he kind of said, "ok...well...to hell with it then...they already have the Van Halen they want, so I'm not going to break my heart trying to give them anything else...or at all."

Am I right? Or do any/all of you have more insight into the recording of VH 3 that I lack? Just curious...like I said, it has its problems, but the ambition and creative energy of the album really resonates with me.

Anyway, sorry for this incredibly LONG POST. For those of you that have made it to this point, I would LOVE to hear what you have to say!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:20 PM
    Liked 462 Times in 214 Posts

I'd respond to your post but by the time I got to the bottom I had already moved on to other things in my head.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:49 AM
    Liked 1,618 Times in 995 Posts

Donor

Last edited by Van Squalen; 06.15.06 at 09:20 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

VS that's ^ never been more appropriate.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Yea, Ed was discouraged by the lack of fan and non-fan support of the album.

Yea, it would have been interesting to hear Van Cherone with a real producer...somebody to keep Ed on track.

Yea, Van Halen III is a strage piece of music (but no Rubber Soul).

Yea, I put it in my CD player about once a year, where it stays for about an hour.

What was the question?
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

Regardless of the VH111 stuff, putting that much time/effort into your first post is a sign to me that you really dig Van Halen. Anybody who really digs this band is welcome to the Links in my opinion.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    VS that's ^ never been more appropriate.

yeeeaaah...looking back that is a rather rambling post...my question, more simply put is this: after all this time and distance, has VH III aged well to any of you? Those of you that might have hated the whole idea, have you guys looked back and thought, "you know, that record wasn't that bad at all!"

And as for the "rubber soul" comment, that might be my favourite Beatle record and by no way did I mean to imply that VH III and Rubber Soul were on equal ground and such...I was simply comparing them based on the fact that they were "transition" records for both bands....

Favorite VH Album

All of them not titled III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Unchained, 5150
    Last Online

10.30.06 @ 04:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Regardless of the VH111 stuff, putting that much time/effort into your first post is a sign to me that you really dig Van Halen. Anybody who really digs this band is welcome to the Links in my opinion.
    Agreed.

Nice first post by the way...long, but nice. Damn, can't believe it's almost been ten yrs. since III came out. That sucks...

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

III tends to be treated around here as Ed's solo album, and I tend to look on it as such as well. I don't hate it.....but I don't love it either.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

VH1,Balance,FW,and VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Panama,without you and IAT
    Last Online

05.17.11 @ 11:41 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

III is very underrated and i just wish that cherone was givin another album to shine instead of one album but what can you do.
    Rock on MotherFucker!!!!!!
    Official VH Links Van Halen 3 fan

Bands I Have Seen Live:
    Van Halen The Smashup
    Twisted Sister Sanctity
    Loverboy Into Eternity
    WASP 2X Overkill
    LA Guns Arch Eenemy
    Stephen Percy Opeth
    Collective Soul Lamb Of God
    Motley Crue 3x Megadeth
    Queensryche 2x Aerosmith
    Amon Amarth Angels & Airwaves
    Trivium
    Children Of Bodom
    Still Remains
    Suffocation
    It Dies Today
    Poison The Well
    Shadows Fall

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

There is a III BRIGADE thread around here somewhere - they'll love you over there!

Sadly, III has NOT aged well with me. Last time I pulled it out of the case, I thought, this really stinks. Frisbee, anyone? There are some good pieces on it, but in general, I don't go near it.

Welcome to the Links! You certainly are as die-hard as the rest of us!

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

All of them not titled III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Unchained, 5150
    Last Online

10.30.06 @ 04:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vh_chick
    There is a III BRIGADE thread around here somewhere - they'll love you over there!

Sadly, III has NOT aged well with me. Last time I pulled it out of the case, I thought, this really stinks. Frisbee, anyone? There are some good pieces on it, but in general, I don't go near it.

Welcome to the Links! You certainly are as die-hard as the rest of us!

Shari
    Sadly is right. I have tried again and again to enjoy III - just because it's VH and I know how Ed was so excited and proud of it. There are a few cuts on it that are "listenable", but for the most part, it still sits on my coffee table w/a cold heineken dripping on it...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I love VH3. Probably because it was my first VH album. My dad gave it to me when I was like 7 years old (HUGE VH fan, guess it runs in the family). I thought it was a gift, but apparently it was given to me and he thought it was a piece of shit. I've had the CD since '98, probably the oldest in my collection.

I understand it more now, and respect it, not only for its sentimental value, but I really enjoy it from a musical standpoint. Production sucks, but I really enjoy the album.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005
    I thought it was a gift, but apparently it was given to me and he thought it was a piece of shit.

I've been reading your posts for about a year now, and that one line may be one of the funniest things I have read.

I was embarassed to legally own it so I did some searching and got myself a copy. I listened to it, liked a few songs and that's about it. I hate the sound of it, really dry and boring. The guitar work is good, some nice grooves in there; but it's just not the Van Halen I call "Van Halen."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough Hot f. Teacher AFU
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:22 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

[QUOTE=broken9500]
    1Van Halen fans seem to be in 'camps.' We are in the "Only Van Roth is REAL Van Halen" camp or we're in the "Only the Van Hagar Van Halen is the REAL Van Halen camp" or we're in the "I don't care if it's Dave or Sammy but it damn well ain't Gary" camp etc etc.

2. Forgive me, but all the positives that Hagar and Roth brought and as cool as they were in their own ways, I don't think they can hold a candle to Cherone in as much as pure singing ability QUOTE]

Ad1 Yes, that is sad, all "fans" who write there things like - VH III CD is good as frisbee, or "I'm ashamed because of that i got this album in my CD player - they ruined VH, that's why Ed is not making new music, and they are offending him - because VH III is the most frankly album made by Eddie - it's really him. After lot of best selling albums he decided to make an album not to masses but to real fans, and he was mistaken, because lot of "fans" like VH just because Jump, WCTBL and other pop songs, and some of them only because of latex and pants which dont cover Roth's ass(look at his cover from best of album released by rhino).
    2 Yes, it's true.
    Last edited by marcin; 06.22.06 at 07:30 AM.
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"Don't give up, seroiusly. I mean if I can do it, you can do it, seroiusly" - Eddie Van Halen (to young guitarists), 1985

"Death by Hollywood, a little too fabulous for his own good" - Eddie Van Halen, 2005

Jeff Fiorentino - EVH style and tone master

http://jfrocksguitarlessons.com/guitarlessons/vinheut/