Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Default Tone only...EBMM/Axis, Wolf, or Charvel...

Any thoughts on which EVH marketed ax has the best VH tone? I figure by now someone has lived with a Charvel long enough to make an informed judgement. I have an Axis and two(formerly three) Wolfgang standards. I think my Axis sounds the closest to the classic VH sound. Anyone know how the Charvel stands up to it's predecessors in the tone department?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:41 AM
    Liked 11,557 Times in 4,925 Posts

Have no idea on that Charvel thing, but I would agree that EVH EBMM is closer to Ed's older tone than the Wolfgang. I assume the Axis is basically the same as the EBMM, but I have never played one but own two EBMM's though.

Personally I like the Wolfgang pickups better, they're hotter, but the EBMM is a much nicer instrument and plays mucho nicer....not that that's what you were asking.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Based on my own experience, I'd say the Charvels and Wolfgangs appear to be very inconsistant in tone from one to another.

The EBMM EVH seems to capture the EVH tone more consistantly IMO.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Which really made me wonder why Ed didn't break out a EBMM during last years tour at some point. Those guitars play like butta, and the tone is sick.

I agree that the Wolfs can be very inconsistant, but still a very good rock guitar. Lots of different sounds can be found in em by dickin around with the tone and volume knobs. If I had a choice though, I'd rather have a EBMM.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which really made me wonder why Ed didn't break out a EBMM during last years tour at some point. Those guitars play like butta, and the tone is sick.
    EVH and EBMM kinda parted on bad terms from what I understand.
    Even without having a strict endorsement, I believe EVH knows what impact playing any particular guitar on tour would have on sales. And even though they have been discontinued for some time, I'm guessing sales would carry over to the AXIS.

But yeah ... the EBMM EVH is definately my favorite out of all of the EVH production guitars.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 06.17.06 at 12:39 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

They all sound like different iterations of Eddie's tone throughout his career.

No "one" sound is "perfect", IMO, for every single album. None of them have any "offensive" frequencies, which has always been the one constant throughout the evolution of Eddie's pickups.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    They all sound like different iterations of Eddie's tone throughout his career.

No "one" sound is "perfect", IMO, for every single album. None of them have any "offensive" frequencies, which has always been the one constant throughout the evolution of Eddie's pickups.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment to all 3 brands. As an owner, I don't have a fav. there all different animals with different tones that Ed has been tinkering with throughout his career, but it is nice to pick one of them up at whatever I,m fancying at the time.............

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.31.15 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own an EBMM Axis and several Wolfgangs. The big difference I notice between the two in terms of sound is that the neck pick up on the Axis does not sound as fat and warm as the Wolfgang's. I hope that makes sense to you.

Otherwise, it's pretty hard to distinguish much a difference. As an aside, I do like the neck on the Axis better.